Seven spiker

Dawnraider

After i took my first roe on friday today was not to be my day but my mentors.We'd been round all over the place this morning and seen nothing so decided to try a piece of cover where we'd seen a good buck before.The plan was for me to stalk through the cover while my mentor waited the other side,a short way in a small doe got up in front of me and pranced off followed seconds later by a shot from my mentors rifle.I emerged to find him grining and pointing at a good buck which had seven spikes,he's shot a few odd ones in his time but couldn't remember seeing one with seven spikes.Is this unusual or has anybody else seen them like this :confused:
Image018.jpg

Image019.jpg

Image017.jpg

Hi traveler.
He has saved it back for checking but didn't know if it would count because of the extra spike.

I think the others will agree that there is always a reason for these abnormalities - i've seen Munty Bucks on my perm with 2-3 slong spikes and l put it down to good food, and the fact that there is loads of springs coming up from deep down which l often see them feeding around (i.e. they are getting some sort of over load in minerals?!?! - what does everyone else think?!?!

my first ever Roe buck was a seven spiker
nothing special tropy wise but still my first and a well remembered tropy for me
don't think the extra spike will make much different to your trophy chances , but it is still nice to shoot something out of the ordinary
ATB

The extra spike could only lose the head a handful of points because of a lack of symmetry, but he looks in the pictures to have a good weight/volume, good strong antler, nice colour and nice sized coronets.

On an estate I keepered on a few years ago we had one area which produced a 7, an 8(which made bronze), and a nine point buck, all of which were shot within 1/4 of a mile of each other over the years. A silver medal was also shot immediately over the boundary, but the buck had come from the same area. All our other bucks on the estate were of a pretty average standard, and came from similar woodland/habitat. Although this was the only area that produced consitently large and unusual heads. Whether this was down to a mineral that was only present in this area, or genetics, or a combination of both, Im not sure, for me thats part of the fascination of Roe though.

measuring is all about the weight !! if there is plenty of weight the score will more than ballence out the beauty points ! but i do think cic now say full skull trophys for measuing but im open to be corrected .

cheers lee :lol:

Last year i had 2 seven pointers on the same bit of ground nice looking beasts, heads were not worth measuring but a good stalk to remember.

Thanks for all your replies he,s head in the freezer at the minute till he can get up to the guy who does his mounting up in devon so i'll let you know how he gets on.The piece of ground he came from seems to be very lush with vegetation and we'd noticed a few weeks ago when the field adjacent to the cover was ploughed a distinct area of different coloured soil,my guess was that it was an old lake bed so could account for the mineral side of things.He certainley had a lot of fat on him you could of made dumplings from the suet off his ass. :lol:
Cheers neil

Please dont congratulate me although i did play my part in it,my mentor made the kill,i'm saving myself for a ten spiker :lol:

Back