Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merkel KR1 -Not!!

Merkel KR1 -Not!!

Does anybody have a Merkel KR 1 rifle?
    I saw one the other day and having had a Merkel double rifle in the past remember it as being a very good, if a somewhat heavy, gun.
    Viking arms are the importers but their web site says very little and I don't know of any dealers in this part of Wiltshire that has one or is willing to get one for me to look at and may not buy.
    I am actually after a 30-06 calibre but has anybody one in any calibre that can give me a bit of feed back.
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Eddy McC

Hmm, forty views so far and not a word.
    That might be telling me something.
    Either nobody has got one, unlikely, or as the saying goes, if you have nothing good to say keep your mouth shut, oh dear

The Merkel action is unique, not a bolt action.

Small volume "Continental" approach to hunting.

1 shot or nothing...

Have n't seen one in the flesh, but good article on Gun mart -

Certainly Merkel have always built very nice shotguns and rifles and have a good reputation. The above article sum up the KR 1 as a slightly unusual looking rifle, but very well built and a good stalking rifle. It does have an advantage like the Blaser in that it is short so if you are wanting to put on a Moderator perhaps an advantage.

It is alos though a proper bolt action with proper locking lugs etc. rather than a straight pull and built just of steel and walnut, rather than plastics - IMHO synthetics are OK for the stock, but have no place in the action.

The only slight drawback is that it requires a canterlever scope mount like the Blaser, which does put the scope a bit high and looks a bit flimsy, but there are more than enough Blaser lovers out there to show that the system works. To some extent it is a modern rendition of the Mauser 66 which again is a very good rifle.

Would I buy one? - probably not as my preference is for a longer rifle - Mauser 98 style.

Well, I had almost made my mind up anyway but was wondering if there were any KR1 owners that had any 'inside info' as it were.
    I have just placed a tentative order for the Premium rifle in 30-06 with a spare .243 barrel and two sets of 'scope mounts.
    I haven't got a firm price yet but I am sure it will be a long term investment so have decided to 'push the boat out' regardless.
    If all goes well I intend to mount a S&B Zenith 3-12x50 Flashdot on the .243 barrel and S&B Zenith 1.2-4x24 Flashdot on the 30-06 barrel.
    I am not a fan of magazine rifles but this particular model has a magazine that fits under a drop down plate so it has no chance of falling out accidentally or rattling like some do!!

PS Heym SR20, thanks for the reference to Gun Mart, I missed that article.

I know exactlt what you mean by magazine rifles - I much prefer a fixed magazine that you can load through the top, so if needs be you can drop in an extra round or two. I have yet to use a magazine rifle where i felt truly comfortable with the magazine not dropping away, plus it is just one more thing to forget.

If you go the way of:

And want a break down, you will not be disappointed.

Simple as that.

Before i bought the Mauser i looked at the Merkel KR1. A very nice rifle but it did not get the juices flowing for me. The merkel is nice to handel and comes in several grades includeing a heavy barrel version.
    All the write ups Iv'e read in the Swedish hunting press have been very possitive about the rifle.

Getting really p****d off now
    The Factory do not do visits for end users. The Head Salesman is away for a while. Nobody can give me a firm price and it is definitely a three months waiting period for one to be got in the country!
    What a way to do business, no wonder this country is going down the pan.
    What I can't understand is, that if I can get a firm price for a Blaser and Sauer, also rifles from Germany, how come I cannot get a firm price from Merkel
    As for the salesman not getting a price, it seems the head salesman sets the price for all the other salesmen. I would have thought to get a sale for the value I estimate it to be, they would have bent over backwards to complete.
    I am after a rifle, spare barrel, spare magazine and two saddleback 'scope mounts.
    Based on the old price as published in Gunmart, when they did the revue, the price is not far off 3k

you could try here

come and join the R93 fan club!