What fixed power scope do you use

What fixed power scope do you use for deer stalking ?

• Total voters
Consistency is the route of accuracy my friend. He who shots the same rifle , same scope, same power has advantages that you cannot imagine.

Consistency is the route of accuracy my friend. He who shots the same rifle , same scope, same power has advantages that you cannot imagine.
care to share your words of wisdom,as i havnt found any advantage using the same mag,now using the same scoped rifle,well that goes without saying

I would normally try and keep thing simple 8x on scope & binos, in that way you get very near

the same sight picture/ field of veiw. Thats not to say I don't own/use a vari ( normally set on 8x)

as it also has it's advantages.

Just my opinion mind you.

Buck.

Aye Iam the same as Uncle Buck. I have two vari scopes but they never moove from 8 as thats the mag of my binos. If I can see it clearly in my Binos I know I can shoot it. Cheers Hootsman

On my stalking & foxing rifles I have variable mag scopes but I have a cheap as chips Tasco
4 x 40 on my rimfire for bunny bashing.
Wingy

On big game rifles I use 4X scopes and on any rifle I'm shooting off hand. (Which is most of them) I may have a variable of some sort, but they are almost always set at 3X or 4X. This said, I have two rifles with fixed 6X scopes. My 22 Hornet and my Savage Long Range hunter. The CZ Hornet is usually shot off of a rest at prairiedogs but I can manage it off hand. The Savage is OK off hand due to it's weight and balance, but normally gets shot off of a bipod.~Muir

I have to agree with 308boy....

I have matching Bushnell Elites (2.5-16x50) on my air rifle and .22lr. I have the same bushnell but in (4.5-30x50) on my .17hmr.

My rimfires are both Anschutz and mounted with the same scope makes them feel exactly the same when I pick them up. I set the triggers with the same pull and generally shoot on 10x mag as I use mildot for rangefinding and trajectory compensation.

Now, all that said, those are my setups for vermin control. I am awaiting my variation for .308 but have decided to stay away from vari-mag scopes for deer stalking. Reasons being, the target area is a lot larger on a deer and I am thinking that glass quality is going to be of more use to me while stalking around woods and shooting during dusk and dawn. I was always told that the pupil is 7mm max. Therefore light transmission from a 8x56 swaro should be about as good as I can get and without vari-mag I can pick a new one up for £800.

That is my line of thinking anyway!

Happy Hunting!

Always thought the "beware the man with only one gun" cliche was a load of bollokks, certainly pertaining to rifles - shotguns are nother matter.

I would suggest you watch the guy with a number of really good rifles and scopes, particularly if he burns a dozen or 15 tubs of powder per year.....

6 X coming up on the inside but its 8X by a mile dame! I always felt
sufficient using a 6 power.

to be honest 6x is going to be enough mag for pretty much all ranges of woodland stalking I would have thought. What you do need to take in to consideration is the objective size. Smaller objective, less light transfer. Same with mag. More mag, less light. Devide the objective size by the mag and you are trying to reach around 7mm for peak light transfer.

6 X coming up on the inside but its 8X by a mile dame! I always felt
sufficient using a 6 power.

I use 8x56 and have for some time. The twilight factor is wonderful. If I were to stalk in daylight I would happly use a 6x scope, but for dusk and dawn I have yet to see anything better than the 8x56 in a fixed power scope.

Simon

Always thought the "beware the man with only one gun" cliche was a load of bollokks, certainly pertaining to rifles - shotguns are nother matter.

I would suggest you watch the guy with a number of really good rifles and scopes, particularly if he burns a dozen or 15 tubs of powder per year.....

It can work both ways can't it. I still take the view you are better off with one good rifle and fixed scope for a fair while before moving on to collect multiple rifles and variable scopes. Unless you have time to be shooting all your many rifles and get used to using all your fancy scopes on ranges and then in the field you will always be pretty average and not quite as confident as you could be (at best).

x6 for me being a lowland stalker. A Habicht Nova did me fine for the first 5 years of stalking before I started experimenting with variables and I can't say its benefited me that much on the deer side of things.

I have 6 x 42, 8 x 56 and 3-12 x 56 scopes and i normally find x8 more than enough in fact i used nothing but the 6x42 for 20 years before getting a 8x56 i dont think it matters that much its just what you get used to if its just normal ranges you wont need bigger than 6 or 8

Wouldn't want a fixed scope as a gift.
been there, done that. I now want the option of turning the mag up to 18, 24 or whatever power to enable me to shoot crows, magpies and other undesirables when the need arises.

20-250 dont want to get pedantic on a deer stalking forum but the question was and is: What fixed power scope do you use for deer stalking ?

if you plan on shooting a crow, magpie or "undesirables" with a 308 or 270 then I am glad I am not going with you.

Mostly 4x for general purpose hunting rifles with 2.5x close behind. The 2.5's are mounted on a 45-70, a 9.3x57 and a Ruger 10/22 I use for Snowshoe hares.

alberta boy

20-250 dont want to get pedantic on a deer stalking forum but the question was and is: What fixed power scope do you use for deer stalking ?

if you plan on shooting a crow, magpie or "undesirables" with a 308 or 270 then I am glad I am not going with you.

Well, you seem to be getting pedantic, whether you want to or not. With all due respect, I was answering the question, as I do not use a fixed power scope for stalking.
I have never met any stalker worth his or her salt who would refuse to shoot a fox or hoodie crow when out stalking if the need arose, so don't understand the point you're making, I'm afraid.

Back