hinds in the mist and sun

Well if the last week of the stag season saw me stalking stags in the snow at Invercauld, what a contrast at the hinds in Glen Lyon.
Sadly, my friends Grandson ended the stag season with a miss for his day on the Saturday, the 20th. But not to worry I said as this happens to us all, even the most experienced of stalkers. However, he was fortunate enough not to endure the biting cold and snow I experienced on the Tuesday.

So as the Saturday ended the stag season the Sunday was a quick turnaround with dry clothing and the drive to Glen Lyon for four days at the Hinds. As expected we did see some rutting activity but it was very much coming to an end. The first two days we experience some mist though it did clear by lunch time did not spoil our stalking. However, on the Tuesday we could not go out as far as we wished for on the fores. As for the Wednesday, well it was an Indian summer with blue sky and very warm sun, too warm in fact. I usually come back from the hill wet through rain and crawling though this time it was through sweat. I'm glad I don't stalk in the early part of the season. Well there we go, what a contrast and what an end to the season. On my return home to Aberdeen Mrs Donsider had a big list of all the jobs I need to do to earn more Brownie points for the shooting season. Hey ho as they say.

Attachments

• DSCF5114.jpg
    DSCF5114.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF5054.jpg
    DSCF5054.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSCF5059.jpg
    DSCF5059.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF5087.jpg
    DSCF5087.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 168
Definitely some of the most evocative photos of hill stalking I have seen on the site (and there has been some strong competition) - thanks.
Neal

Picture number two this time, very atmospheric. :thumb: It's when you see the size of the two stalkers it give you a real perspective of the scale involved and the grandness of the hills.

Moose

Last pic of first lot Donsider with the landrover in the distance on the track.
Seen that exact scene many times on Roro!
Is the track any better than when Grant used to take us up it?
If ever there was an advert for a SWB Defender, that was where it should have been made!!
Regards,
S.

Nice pictures. On days like that it really must be special, just the scenery is worth getting up for. The guy dragging that deer back must be pretty fit? It looked along way from anywhere.

Many thanks for the comments guys. I am sure my tutor from when I was at Film School would agree also.
Shiehallion, the track up the glen is no different from when Grant first took me up it a few years ago. Driving up the glen on that track makes your bones rattle and it is a pleasure to climb up the hills afterwards. The drag rope is home made and made from a shoulder strap of an old game bag and a length of rope.

A few more pics from when I was there last year at the stags including my first Royal.

2010_1020GLENLYON0043.jpg2010_1020GLENLYON0034.jpg2010_1020GLENLYON0061.jpgPicture 036.jpgPicture 006.jpg

Back