What is 'legal quarry' ?

The tramp

Ok, I have 'any other legal quarry', but what exactly is legal quarry for, say, a .17hmr .223 and .308? Bearing in mind legal minimum calibres etc

just wondering what I can legally shoot given the opportunity/need.

Obviously there are a few differences between England, Scotland etc so just the 'England' ones would be a good start

Pete

In England and Wales only deer have legally binding regulations relating to a minimum calibre for their taking, wildfowl and game birds also have regualtions governing the type of firearm, the kind, number and make up of projectiles used for their taking.
Anything not governed by simillar "LEGALLY BINDING" legislation, (this does not include Home Office guidelines) can be shot with any calibre.
If you want to brain a wild boar with your 17HMR or take out a feral goat with .22 subbies, (although not reccommended) you are legally entitled to do so with the AOLQ condition.

Ian.

I asked to have Wild Boar put on my FC but was told it was not neccessary as the term AOLQ already covered it.
It was not neccessary to list each species of quarry as it could be a rather long list.
AOLQ covers Wild Goat, Sheep and any other wild animal I have authority to shoot.
It is left to me to decide which calibre is suitable, except where legislation applies as in the case of Deer, for whichever species I decide to shoot.

Don,t come to Hampshire and shoot boar and goats on AOLQ they say if they issued AOLQ , which they don,t it would not cover them. Yes we do have goats on the IOW I was informed by the FLO.

I have a letter from my authority stating that whatever is on my FAC from them covers me for the ENTIRE UK.
I have .17M2 for fox!!

if it didnt we would be screwed crossing into other counties

I fall just into Wiltshire and at my latest renewal in August my Feral Pig condition was "relaxed" to AOLQ and I have a mail stating that certain of my calibres may be used for AOLQ and that this would cover Boar and Goats for instance too.

The different uptake on AOLQ accross the forces is I agree really confusing but one thing I am certain of. If I fell foul of one forces AOLQ acceptance I would be judged by my own and that I am totally comfortable with.

And I quote:

My understanding of the term‘any other lawful quarry’ is that it means any quarry that is not protected bylaw. Feral Pig is not protected by law so yes you can shoot it, obviouslyyou have to comply with the rest of the condition ie ‘on land that youhave lawful authority to shoot’.

The ‘any other lawful quarry’condition was brought in in 2009 ... this gave us the ability to only name the‘principal quarry’ species on the certificate without the need to nameall the lesser species ... actually having just read your condition again Ididn’t need to include fox on your .25-06, .308 & .303 rifles either ... itshould just read ‘deer’ as your principal quarry and then ‘any other lawfulquarry’ ! I will amend this when your certificate comes back in.

Last edited:
Don,t come to Hampshire and shoot boar and goats on AOLQ they say if they issued AOLQ , which they don,t it would not cover them. Yes we do have goats on the IOW I was informed by the FLO.

Taff, the law of this land is federal law which applies to the whole country and is not regional or county based.

Ian.

now that would be interesting
imagine you did move to Hampshire with a bucket full of firearms and blanket AOLQ FAC

for them to revoke an existing AOLQ would qualify as a partial revocation and could be highly entertaining if tested

they dont enforce conditions on your certificate from other forces
So, hants (for example) won't enforce a 'closed ticket' from wilts if shooting 'uncleared land' if in hants ? I can't see that somehow. Or if somebody has a ticket without 'deer' while shooting deer in another county ? Hhmmm

So, hants (for example) won't enforce a 'closed ticket' from wilts if shooting 'uncleared land' if in hants ? I can't see that somehow. Or if somebody has a ticket without 'deer' while shooting deer in another county ? Hhmmm

no obviously if you dont have something then there is a problem
but if I have something from one force then it applies wherever

i have fox on calibres that some forces wont issue
doesnt stop me shooting fox with those calibres in those counties

I meant move to Hampshire
I could move to Hants with my Northamptonshire issued FAC and shoot quite freely according to the conditions on my FAC and Hants police could do nothing about it, the same as i could go to Cheshire and shoot rabbits with my 22.250 when a Cheshire licence holder cannot.

Ian.

no obviously if you dont have something then there is a problem
but if I have something from one force then it applies wherever

i have fox on calibres that some forces wont issue
doesnt stop me shooting fox with those calibres in those counties

Yes I know that. My ticket is deer and any other legal quarry, so that counts across the uk, so I could use the .308 to shoot rabbits also where others are limited to (say).223. But the op was 'they don't enforce conditions from other forces'
there would be nothing to enforce on mine as long as I have permission to shoot what and where I am. A condition is a restriction on use of the listed firearm, and if 'hants' say 'no fox with hmr' you still can't use hmr on foxes in wilts where they allow, and condition for it (if needed) But wilts police should 'in theory' take action on the shooter from hants without a condition allowing them to take fox, for taking said fox, even if, in wilts, he would be allowed to, and conditioned for it. So to say they don't enforce conditions from other forces sounds not quite right.

Yes I know that. My ticket is deer and any other legal quarry, so that counts across the uk, so I could use the .308 to shoot rabbits also where others are limited to (say).223. But the op was 'they don't enforce conditions from other forces'
there would be nothing to enforce on mine as long as I have permission to shoot what and where I am. A condition is a restriction on use of the listed firearm, and if 'hants' say 'no fox with hmr' you still can't use hmr on foxes in wilts where they allow, and condition for it (if needed) But wilts police should 'in theory' take action on the shooter from hants without a condition allowing them to take fox, for taking said fox, even if, in wilts, he would be allowed to, and conditioned for it. So to say they don't enforce conditions from other forces sounds not quite right.

Absolutely, if he does not have a condition to shoot fox, he cannot shoot fox anywhere in the country and if found to have shot a fox he is in breach of his conditions and should loose his FAC.

Ian.

I could move to Hants with my Northamptonshire issued FAC and shoot quite freely according to the conditions on my FAC and Hants police could do nothing about it, the same as i could go to Cheshire and shoot rabbits with my 22.250 when a Cheshire licence holder cannot.

Ian.

And I guess on renewal of said certificate Hants would try and renew on the basis of the conditions they impose, not renew as expiring conditions/wording as issued by Northamptonshire.

An interesting scenario!

And I guess on renewal of said certificate Hants would try and renew on the basis of the conditions they impose, not renew as expiring conditions/wording as issued by Northamptonshire.

An interesting scenario!

Would the new licensing authority not re-condition the FAC as necessary to suit that region when they issue the certificate to the holder on moving to a that region, not necessarily at time of renewal?

Back