What is the best ammo to use in a 270 for wild boar

Hi everyone I'm off to Germany for 3 days hunting and one day driven, and wanted to know what is the best ammo to use to stop them in there tracks have used federal fusions on the same trip last year and the didn't seem to do the job? Kind
Regards

150gr Partitions if you can get them.

Otherwise any good 150gr bullet. I have used the partitions plus Norma factory 150gr stuff. The Normw worked great.

+1 on the Partitions. I have not used them on boar but have shot them extensively on game that you would think was too big for the bullet weight I was using and they are an incredibly reliable bullet.

Both my guns will be loaded with Partitions for my upcoming boar hunts.

BTW Brian, that's a pretty gun in your picture. ;)

K

Hornady 150 gr SSTs will stop them.:D

I would want a SP with reliable weight retention and expansion
SST's IMO are bit too frangible for boar, they even recommend them for head and neck shots as a result

an Interlock or Partition (i prefer Inters as they seem to hold together more and don't lose their core)

I would want a SP with reliable weight retention and expansion
SST's IMO are bit too frangible for boar, they even recommend them for head and neck shots as a result

an Interlock or Partition (i prefer Inters as they seem to hold together more and don't lose their core)
Take your point but head and neck ?? isn't that where you supposed to shoot them :D

deer head and neck is not like a boar head and neck....and the skin is a tad thicker

out of interest.....factory loaded 150gr .270 ammo doesnt actually deliver the downrange energy that the 130gr bullets do.

they tend to have a MV of 27-2800 compared to 3100

RWS / 130 grain H Mantle. If you look at Franz Aelbrecht you will be convinced. He doesn't seem to take any prisoners.
My choice would be 150 gr partition, 150 grain oryx, 156 grain vulkan or hammerhead.

you can shoot anything decent at them if you tuck the shot in behind the ear. Expensive bullets will not make a bad shot good. Tougher bullets are fine but my .308 with 150gr sst's or b-tips goes through reds a clean chest shot fine under 100m so how much penetration do you need! You don't need to get creative and overthink killing a pig with a good shot that you rifle and ammo for big deer will do just fine in stalked or fed boar from a hide.

Having said that you don't wan't soft ammo for driven pigs because if your bullet is zipping through brush and trees it can loose it's mojo pretty quickly before it gets to the target. What shooting are you hoping to do?

Last edited:
If you are stuck with factory ammunition, I'd go with Sako 156gn Hammerheads, which are excellent on boar and large deer and have the added advantage of being ridiculously cheap for .270 factory loads.

If you are reloading, any 130, 140 or 150gn bonded bullet will do the job - I wish that Sellier & Bellot would make their brilliant SPCE 'cutting edge' bullet in .270 as it's brilliant for the same purpose in my 7mm combi' gun.

Adam.

I have read excellent reports, in the French shooting press, specifically on boar shooting bullets in these mid-calibres of the "new" product of the RWS Evolution bullet in 270 Winchester. See RWS .270 WIN EVO 10,0G

Item no.: 2315972

http://rws-munition.de/en/hunting/p...ash=e69ef8335122160893d898ce4aab7315#!0/16/15

FWIW and for anyone that is interested in them at nominal cost COLLECTED FROM ME I do have some of the Sako 156 grain Hammerhead as component bullets for reloading. I found them very accurate but with supplies limited I never progressed further with them. I have about thirty or so, maybe thirty-five.

Last edited:
Hi all sorry for the late reply yes I am stuck with it factory ammunition. I think I'm gonna to try the hammerhead and give them a go. And yes I know bullet placement is everything, but I'm using 130 g federal fusions and wanted 150g just wanted to know everyone's thoughts and what they have experienced. Kind regards

Please do not forget that they have been porking up on mast foods "and this has been an exceptional year here" all summer getting ready for the winter and will have at least one inch of body fat minimum of protection that you must punch through to get to the vitals this is located under the outer skin and it functions like an armour plate (ballistic gelatine) I have seen good hits with 9.3x62s not make it through it.
Buy ammo loaded with the heaviest most solid bullets you can find or wait till you get over here as there is a greater choice in Germany.
Good hunting
Martin

Back