Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much To Pay! Land With Muntjac On

How Much To Pay! Land With Muntjac On

Ive been offered 120 acres with the possibility of muntjac on the land. Now I'm going to do time on the ground to fine out if there is. If there is I have no problem paying for it but what would be a reasonable price to pay.
    Now I know there are guys on here who will say nothing I don't pay for mine. Well that's fine! But I have a good relationship with the owner and have no wish to offend him because he know it may be worth some cash.
    So what is a fair price?

Thank you Andrew

First off you would need to work out roughly how many muntjac there are on this 120 acres and how many it could reasonably sustain. What would be your likely annual cull numbers? It might not actually hold that many throughout the year if it is arable farming and small hedgerows. Thick woodland might be different.

Then what is the mentality of the landowner towards the muntjac? Are they doing damage? Do they cost him money?

How much is the stalking worth to you? How often could you stalk the area? Will you be making money out of it?

With all these aspects to consider I would be surprised if anyone could put a price on your stalking with the details you have.

All sounds a bit vague mate if there is just a possibility? 120 acres is pretty small so you should be able to tell if there is very quickly from the ground sign. Look along fence lines, gaps in hedges, gateways for slots (about the size of a 20p piece). Why not offer him so much for each animal you shoot, then if you don't shoot many (any) it won't cost too much? Game dealers pay about 1.50/kg for munties so an average would be about 15. Why not offer him that per animal and see how you get on? You may not have many at present, but before long he will realise that you are doing him a big favour!
    You could also butcher it and go halves on the meat which is probably the better option as it is great to eat!
    If you think you may have a muntjac or two and you're not sure what to look for, then you've probably got a lot more!
    Good luck!
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    First off you would need to work out roughly how many muntjac there are on this 120 acres and how many it could reasonably sustain. What would be your likely annual cull numbers? It might not actually hold that many throughout the year if it is arable farming and small hedgerows. Thick woodland might be different.

Then what is the mentality of the landowner towards the muntjac? Are they doing damage? Do they cost him money?

How much is the stalking worth to you? How often could you stalk the area? Will you be making money out of it?

With all these aspects to consider I would be surprised if anyone could put a price on your stalking with the details you have.
    You got thermal image gear then ! A mate used it on one ride saw several BUT saw three times that amount in the brambles just browsing away in the maize of runs .
    Very difficult to accurately assess the number of this little deer . A keeper mate can do a woodland ride on shoot day and see a few munty when fed that same evening he would think nothing of seeing a dozen .
    if you have a few on the ground give him a drink 200 assuming it is for your own use not taking clients ,farmers aren't mugs they would suss you taking folk for cash .
    good luck
    norma

Yes there are lots of things to consider. As I will take people if there is a reasonable number.
    Also he is no fool but I we are friends and have no wish to fall out. But I guess I'm going to have to do time on the ground first. Would night vison work for looking in and around hedgerows. As a friend of mine has some
    andrew

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    You got thermal image gear then ! A mate used it on one ride saw several BUT saw three times that amount in the brambles just browsing away in the maize of runs .
    Very difficult to accurately assess the number of this little deer . A keeper mate can do a woodland ride on shoot day and see a few munty when fed that same evening he would think nothing of seeing a dozen .
    if you have a few on the ground give him a drink 200 assuming it is for your own use not taking clients ,farmers aren't mugs they would suss you taking folk for cash .
    good luck
    norma
    A DMG I work with has used several different types of thermal imaging and night vision as part of its census work yes! But as you say, even with this equipment it is not an exact science with muntjac. I agree with what MS has put, you are better off spending time on the ground studying the signs (or learning to).

When I talked about farmland I had a relatives farm in mind. It is about 250 acres and in an area that is know for high numbers of munties. They certainly do cut about on the farm but the amount of stalking you could do is minimal. This is partly due to the topography of the ground and partly due to the fact that they take shortcuts through the fields passing through and don't actually spend much time on the farm itself.

Trying to count muntjac accurately is virtually impossible and pointless. We use indirect methods here where we have loads and this is part of an impact assesment process. Woods are scored into low, medium or high impact brackets and culling hours spent according to damage. Muntjac are a 'shoot on sight' cull plan on ALL my areas. Night vision and thermal imaging may help a little, but will not give you an accurate count. Have a look at what damage they are doing and concentrate your efforts there. Also talk to the owner as he may have a different opinion and it shows that you are thinking towards his benefit and not just your own sport!
    MS

If its a good friend why not agree a 50/50 split with money gained from clients/carcasses giving on a regular basis or at the end o the year.

I've got two "permissions" (sorry), with the same agreement on each with the land owners. All monies generated from carcass sales go the the estate, with me keeping the odd deer for my own use and I also offer first refusal to the land owner on venison. It means I get nothing (materially) for the stalking, but I'm sure it's cheaper than renting the stalking. The only down-side is that in both cases I'm not permitted to take anyone else out on the land.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I have the offer of a Muntjac Permission where they are damaging ground, digging holes, on land used to exercise horses, and it'll cost nothing (except 3 hours each way in the car to get there), and I'd keep every other carcass, with the landowner keeping the rest, reading this it sounds like I have a good deal, just need the FAC, rifle, insurance, and DSC1 first. No idea of the acreage yet, but apparently he's overrun with Muntjac, and there is some Fallow, but I won't have permission to take those initially.

I find this directory an excellent source of information.