Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which 308???

Which 308???

So I've decided to go for the 308 first with a view to 243 at a later date.
    Now I like the look of the Tikka Stainless Lite but does anyone have any views on it or similar rifles in this calibre worth looking at for that price??

My first rifle was a tikka t3 ss;cost £480 and performed flawlessly in all weather in Scottish highlands. Stuck a t8 moderator on it plus added a half pound of lead to the butt(balance) and only sold it because I got a great deal on a Sako 85.
    The price seems to be going through the roof at the moment so the rifle does not represent such a good value for money package these days, but if you got one I don't think it would dissapoint.

A friend has a t3 lite in 308. To say he finds it "sharp" is an understatement. He had to get a friend to finish zeroing for him. If you are ok with recoil then thats fine but otherwise a bit of extra weight may be advisable. Otherwise Tikkas are fine but watch the slightly rubbery synthetic stock

Concider a howa in stainless, smart rifle at a good price.
    A 308 in a bad fitting stock can kick like hell, but if you work around with adjusting the stock length and maybe a cheekpad it's a piss to shoot. With a moderator even more so. I can hold my 308 very loose and relaxed now after a bit of fitting.

I'd second the recomendation for a Howa, best value out there at the moment in a new gun.

Don't discount a second hand rifle. I noticed soome great deals on older model Sako 308's recently on Guntrader.

Don't discount a second hand rifle. I noticed soome great deals on older model Sako 308's
    I could not agree more - the old Sako 591 was a tuly great action, built to a lot better specs than todays Sakos!

My 308 is a Remmy 700 LTR - 20" barrel with a JetZ moderator. >.5" and cheap. Easy to carry with a great stock.

Take a look at this:[NewType][]=Rifle&Filter[NewMechanism][]=Bolt%20Action&Filter[Calibre][]=.308&Filter[Make][]=Blaser&Filter[Make][]=FN&Filter[Make][]=Heym&Filter[Make][]=Mannlicher-Shoenauer&Filter[Make][]=Sako

I know that this has been on the shelf for at least the last six months. A better rifle than any T3 will ever be.

I would think an offer of £500 or £550 would buy it.

If I had a 308 slot I would have bought it months ago.

My first 308 was a Remington 700 VS with a Leupold 3-9x50 scope. Slightly weighty I know, but using Federal 150 grain soft nose ammo it easily holds 1 MOA. Over the years I have used it to take everything from ‘red dogs’ to red deer.

I know that a lot of stalkers hold strong views on the utility of heavy barrelled weapons but on the days that you get the urge to go to the range & blow through over 50 rounds of mil surp ammo, you realise that the extra weight really helps.

Got a new T3 yesterday and the scope arrived this morning after a bit of flaffing about to get the scope fitted {shims} then bore sighted it had it zeroed in 5 shots, top marks for Tikka for the money they can not be beaten.

Try looking at the winchester coyote lite back to back with the tikka. I did and bought the coyote .

But if you get the chance look at both before you decide.