Looking for hints on visit to Arran

Chris J

Hi Chaps, been searching through the posts on Arran, some going back quite a way, but still got some questions. I'd really appreciate your wisdom.

I am going for the week 7th to 11th Jan 2013. Why? Well I have some leave, a bit of cash and I just fancied it. We have a roe syndicate out near Stranraer which is tough going and I thought a change of scenery would be nice. Still tough, but different.

Ferry. Seems very pricey for a short hop I have to say. Around £70 for a car and driver. Are there any dodges here for cheaper fares? I don't mean fare dodging. Just booking tips.
Which ferry times work the best? Arrival isn't really a problem as I shall go the day before, or even the Saturday if I end up with a full week of accommodation.
Where is best to stay? By this I really mean area rather than which hotel etc.
Will I get away with a standard family car in terms of getting around for the stalking. I'd rather not drag my monster 4x4 all the way up there.
Is renting a cottage the best option? Been looking at rooms and they seem ridiculously expensive where as a cottage looks like around £200 to £250. Much more than that and I'll camp! And trust me, I would. I'd rather self cater if I am honest.
Is anyone else going that week - if you fancy sharing at all, I'd be happy to work something out.

Any other gems then please do chip in. I have read about expectations, deer numbers etc, for me stalking about the experience of the whole trip. I have had plenty of experience in the disappointment category.

I did speak to BASC before booking and they said they were pretty sure that this very unfortunate business with the poor chap recently should have been dealt with and the stalking would be open. There should have been little disturbance in the weeks leading up to the booking, but who knows what the weather will be doing. I have a poncho, so it can do what it likes really.

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi Chris, If you go a day early, take yourself for a drive right around the island, fantastic scenery & a help if you need to find some of the south end beats, digs are available all over the island for very decent rates, both self cater and looked after!, I'll see if I can dig out my old lists for you, or maybe one of the lads that are current may chime in?, beats that have been very productive in our past trips were Carn Ban & the Reservoir beat, most if not all are reachable by ordinary saloon car, but the weather can be more 4x4 sometimes if you get some snow or ice, (checkout my pics of the defender in a ditch!)... ferry trips seem to be priced the same whenever you sail, fuel on the island is quite pricey, as you would expect having to get it over there first! sail with a full fuel tank!, I only found out that the defender had a low fuel warning lamp after around six hundred miles doing the Arran thing!:cool:

Hi chris

Try Achrannie for your digs they also do deals see there website,you can get by with out a 4x4 as its on the Gulf Stream great place and some nice really nice people.

Can't find the list, but can recommend the Eden hotel down Whiting bay, fairly placed for a lot of the beats, Auchrannie is top of the food chain, but quite a few use it, Brodick has a few gems about but you need the lads to divulge them!! Might be worth a chat with Neil, B.A.S.C.'s co ordinator on the scheme.

ferry: not much leeway there TBH
cottage every time. you dont want to be worrying about muddy boots and dogs/rifles etc when you are cold wet and knackered

PM me for some details on a cracking place on the west side.
I also have scans of all the beats aerial photos for 3 or 4 of the beats so you can do some recc'ing

If you ask nicely they will usually give you a beat closer to your digs.

If this is your first trip see if you can get there a couple of days early, allows you to go and find beats, see where the wind is coming from, some beats you can access quite far in by road and others you can spy from a distance.

Ground knowledge is a huge benefit here.

Above all take more clothes and boots than you think you need.
Arran is second only to Atlantis on ground water!

Guys, thank you so far. That's the sort of thing I was looking for. I shall take you up on the offer via PM. I have a little time yet, but would like to get the booking made then I am sorted. Do most people book the ferry or just roll up?

Water is nothing new to me, in fact we have been discussing an export venture with our landowner. We're going to build a pipeline to take water to the South. It's the only thing we have in any quantity up there. It's shocking.

Chris

Chris

You wil stalk in pairs, your stalking companion is a huge part of the week. Ideally take a firend who you have stalked with before, when I was there they ended up with 2x novices paried together, you can guess their sucess. I stayed at Eden Hotel, management has changes since.

Flying solo I'm afraid. Our syndicate only has the 5 of us in it and the other four can't make it. So it's pot luck for me. Well, it would be boring if it was easy. Err, right?

Chris

Before you book your ferry and hotel id check with BASC this could be cancelled email andrea green at basc

Ferry about £85 for car and one person i normally go sunday about 3.00pm gives me all day to travel up to Ardrosson then check into hotel on arrival i normally stay in the eden lodge hotel whiting bay its handy for food on a nite most places stop doing food at 9.00pm but i suppose this time of year you will be back in plenty of time, a car will be fine the forest roads are all stone tracks you would only struggle if it snows or if the logging trucks have churned the roads up !

Last edited:
Cheers 375. All handy stuff. The more intel the better.

BTW If you check back up the thread a bit though, you'll see that I have already spoken to Andrea before I made the booking. I will be holding off on the accom for the second until all of that is confirmed for deff. Consensus on the ferry seems to be turn up on the day.

Chris

Chris,
Be warned, if the weather is bad, and the ferry doesn't run and you are not booked on, you will go to the back of the queue when it restarts.
Book on a later ferry then if you turn up early you will be able to board if there is room.
Winter sailings are usually not full, but bad weather will create havoc.

Thanks Griff

Blimey, never knew stalking could be so complicated. Wish I'd never left the Shire now Mr Froddo. Ha Ha.

OK understood. Was planning if I can, to go on the Saturday before and kick back a bit. So should get onto the island at some point. Getting back off? Well who cares. It's only work on Monday after all.

375 - I think I understand what you were saying now having trawled through some recent posts. Cheers for the heads up. Will be looking at plan B.

Chris

Just dragging this old thread up - thanks for all the advice that you guys sent to me. Very useful.

Update is that I managed to get someone else to come along with me so fuel, ferry and accommodation are all split 2 ways. Excellent. Managed to book a fantastic little 3 bed cottage for the whole week, so going Sat night to Sat morning. No rushing around to get on or off the island. Plenty of relaxo-time and some opportunities for scouting around and having a look see at what's mooching.

Really looking forward to it. The rest is down to me I guess.

Chris

Just South of Brodick. Not too far from the FC office, which is handy. We don't mind where we get plonked. We're first timers up there and doubtless there will be a degree of who you know not what you know. But that's cool. I'm looking forward to going back and I haven't even been yet!!

The digs are self catering, wifi, log burners, 3 bedrooms, boot room, parking, sat TV etc etc for £300 all in for the 7 nights. So splitting that, the ferry and fuel from East Mids, plus the stalking fees it's about £300 plus a crate of decent malt each. Oh and something to eat, probably. I'd call that cheap. We have a company car which costs us a fixed rate of 14p per mile, so that's pence really.

I'm happier in private accom when lugging a cart load of guns around. Better for laying all your stuff out, cleaning kit etc and chatting about the day and generally kicking back than in a hotel etc. Forgive me if I don't actually give open details of the cottage, but happy to share off line if it works out well.

Chris

no, beats were handed out depending on where you were based not which one was best
I didnt see any of the beats on the East just three of the ones on the West

Sure, I get that, but if you know where the best beats are then wouldn't you automatically book your accommodation near to them know that this was the way in which they were allocated?

I'm only speculating as a newcomer. I'm sure it's all good.

C

Back