Advice on powder for 243 and 30 06

diverdave

I am currently using H380 for 243 and 30 06 reloading. I am actually happy with the results, though a little more speed would do no harm. I am not at maximum load so could just load up a little.

However after having the powder in stock for some time my local shops seem to have problems getting it for me. It has got me thinking, is there something that is significantly more suited to both, as if there is i could order a reasonable amount and probably improve a little.

Any thoughts?

Dave

not exactly what you are after but I use N160 to good effect with .243 and .270 (same parent case)
comes in Kg tubs and works out cheaper round here

check the VV, and other powder manufacturers for overlaps

I am currently using H380 for 243 and 30 06 reloading. I am actually happy with the results, though a little more speed would do no harm. I am not at maximum load so could just load up a little.

However after having the powder in stock for some time my local shops seem to have problems getting it for me. It has got me thinking, is there something that is significantly more suited to both, as if there is i could order a reasonable amount and probably improve a little.

Any thoughts?

Dave

Hello Dave.

Using the same calibres as yourself, I had the same problem, with a lack of obtaining H380, in my area, so I have changed to a stock of IMR-4350, and it is doing a grand job in place of the Hodgdon powder, for both .243, and .30-06. Had to rework loads from mins etc, but as the IMR grains are cylindrical rather than spherical, they fill the case better for the loads I ended up suiting my rifles. I think IMR-4350 is at the slower end of the burn rate, but it seems very consistent, and the groups I get are more than adequate - better in fact than my H380 groups.

I used the same bullets, cases, primers, seating depth, just re-worked the powder volume.

All the best.

Neil.

hi if you can get it winchester 760 powder or hod 414 powder it about the same both will do your 243 and 30-06

Look at "Alliant Reloder 17" which is also sold as "Elcho 17", Its exactly same stuff only a lot cheaper. Alliant publish loading data for 243, 308 & 30-06 that compares favourably with other makers powders.

Ian

I use Varget . 243 85 grn bullet and in the 30-06 i use a 150 grn bullet very happy with both rounds and not going to change. I dont no how fast its going but they are both very accurate .
Tusker

Cheers guys

I have some Varget, so will try that at the weekend, and then will work through the various figures, based upon your recommendations and take things from there

cheers

Dave

Look at "Alliant Reloder 17" which is also sold as "Elcho 17", Its exactly same stuff only a lot cheaper. Alliant publish loading data for 243, 308 & 30-06 that compares favourably with other makers powders.

Ian

Another vote for RL 17, IMHO its a cacking powder. I use it in 25-06 but 3 lads I shoot it use in .243 .270 .284 .308 and 30-06

and as Ian sain if you can get Elcho 17 it's cheap as chips at £50 to £55 a kilo

Rick

Back