Who needs a .25 drill bit when an 87g Ballistic Tip will do!

Klenchblaize

Perfect morning for a spot of fox calling says old K to himself as he setup in a handy ambush point overlooking a sunlit woodland floor or felled timber. In fact so comfortable and stable was his setup only a bench and bags could improve things he mused as the first cries of pain from the Nordik Predator call broke the silence. Five minutes later and just as he raised the call for the third time a slight movement to the left caught his eye. The faintest whimper on the call stopped the well fed dog fox no more than 40 yards away as K’s head dropped to the stock and pushed forward the Jewel trigger’s safety. The honey-coloured fox loomed unnecessarily large at 12 power but the crosshairs sat where they needed to and with the clarity of crystal. BOOM!

As the K 250 echoed around the Greensand Ridge K watched in disbelief as the fox gave it leg bail into the next County! What the .... ??

K looked for a suitable fallen log and backstop to check the rifle’s zero so sure was he that both hold and let off had been perfect. Then, as he glassed the spot where the fox had stood for signs of fur or disturbed ground he noticed, not more than 7 yards away, a vertical 1" dead branch with a wee bit missing!

IMG_2835_edited-1.jpg

What a Muppet!
:doh:

Cheers

K

Last edited:
Perfect morning for a spot of fox calling says old K to himself as he setup in a handy ambush point overlooking a sunlit woodland floor or felled timber. In fact so comfortable and stable was his setup only a bench and bags could improve things he mused as the first cries of pain from the Nordik Predator call broke the silence. Five minutes later and just as he raised the call for the third time a slight movement to the left caught his eye. The faintest whimper on the call stopped the well fed dog fox no more than 40 yards away as K’s head dropped to the stock and pushed forward the Jewel trigger’s safety. The honey-coloured fox loomed unnecessarily large at 12 power but the crosshairs sat where they needed to and with the clarity of crystal. BOOM!

As the K 250 echoed around the Greensand Ridge K watched in disbelief as the fox gave it leg bail into the next County! What the .... ??

K looked for a suitable fallen log and backstop to check the rifle’s zero so sure was he that both hold and let off had been perfect. Then, as he glassed the spot where the fox had stood for signs of fur of disturbed ground he noticed, not more than 7 yards away, a vertical 1" dead branch with a wee bit missing!

View attachment 21149

What a Muppet!
:doh:

Cheers

K

How do you find that .25x47SM, when you're not shooting branches with it? ;)

Had a mate do the same a few year's ago with his .243 to the farmer's new gate :doh:

The Fox is still running :D

I said before the shot are you clearing the gate? the answer was YES! (NOT) everytime i drive by it i have a laugh to myself.

Perhaps you and Paul at Barony could form some kind of tree shooting club? Paul usually prefers bigger trees with his .375 though!

It is well to remember that sight line and bullet line are not the same thing especially at short range.
A Muppet in Ireland shot a hole in part of the elevating roof of his friends car whilst the chap was sitting in the drivers seat.

HWH.

A very long time ago, before I grew brains! I placed an empty cigarette packet on top of a five bar gate, with a good back stop I might add before I go any further.
I paced out twenty five, large, for a fifteen year old, stride length paces and aimed my double barrel 12 bore, loaded with a Home Guard Issue ball cartridge and let loose at the packet.
I didn't give it enough elevation/hold over and the top bar just disintegrated.
I would have really felt sorry for any German Paratroopers had they landed in my part of Somerset if any of our Home Guard found the need to use one of those Ball cartridges that's for sure.
I had to make the whole gate 'disappear' before anybody got to see it or they would have known it was me immediately.
The remains of it were found by me some time later where some Gypsies had stayed over night, burnt to a cinder but I managed to save the metal hinges and a few other bits of metal so got a pat on the back !!

It happens but be warned some people on here will not find it funny :( I did a similar thread a month or so ago about not checking line of sight and my mate put a hole in his bonnet. A few of the comments where "you shouldn't even be allowed a bus pass let alone an FAC" :)

Still that is a funny story and I would think that most people have done this at some point be it with an Air rifle or a powder burner.

It happens but be warned some people on here will not find it funny :(

If I detect this you can be sure I’ll be out of here with the speed of an unobstructed bullet! Seriously.

This was posted in good faith and all humility to demonstrate that such can happen under certain field conditions and in my case for only the second time in a lifetime. The last occasion being 1972 when a marble from my Milbro catapult impacted 2” low of a squirrel and rebounded (rather thoughtfully I later thought) into my kaki Cadet jacket pocket!

Look this isn't acceptable. The Ash Tree population is in real trouble already and so could your friend be if he isn't specifically conditioned to shoot trees or unless its covered by AOLQ in his county.

Or put another way "Should have gone to Spec Savers"

For goodness sake sort him out!

Perhpas if you had used a more sensible magnification than 12x for a short "chip" shot as our Americans call it then perhaps ..................................................... just perhaps you would have noticed the offending branch ;).

I often ponder why modern shooters need so much magnification and ask myself if perhaps modern man has such poor eyesight what does the future hold for us as a species?

"Klenchblaize Tree surgeon" has a nice ring to it ! :lol:

But hey keep your chin up most of us have been there & wore the T-shirt.

Rgds, Buck.

Truth is I had already cut back from 24 power but as I was using Swaro and not Zeiss crystal perhaps I never stood a chance!:stir:

No need for T-shirt as I’ve kept the wee bit of offending branch as memento to my total failure as a Rifleman/Hunter. The thought of which should keep some members on here very happy!

On a serious point anyone who thinks this cannot happen to them probably doesn’t get into the woods enough.

I’m frankly just happy I didn’t pull the shot.

Cheers

K

This bring back a memmory from last year, we had been after a difficult fox for ages and then the chance arose one night, it was 200+yds away in a valley bottom lovely prone shot off the bipod, I was on the otherside of a scrubby thick sort of hedge/ fence with a single strand of barbed wire about 12 feet infront of me. Anyway Leupold on x14 nice clear shot, good backstop and bang, zinging sound as a 60grn v Max cleanly severes the single strand. Fox beats hasty retreat. Was lucky that my lamping partner didn't kick me in the place the sun does not shine. Anyway lesson learnt, had another look through scope and the wire which I thought was well out of the way wasn't but was invisible in the scope.

Such is life.

D

Brings to mind an old pal (and mentor!!) many many years ago who placed a rather clean 6mm hole in his landrover wing mirror whilst shooting out of the drivers door window......

Reminds me also of a friend in the Guntrade who when shooting a .22r/f from the passenger side window of his Defender 90, put a round through the l/h rear view mirror!
It gets worse....... When replacing the mirror glass in the holder, he undid the retaining screw, removed the damaged glass, replaced it with the new mirror but fumbled and droped the retaining screw.......bent down to pick it up and let go of the new mirror :doh:....I make that 14 years bad luck.......:rofl:

But i cannot talk before anyone says owt! Last year while bopping some Bunnies with the HMR, i managed to hit a single strand electric fence not once but twice in succession! 87 & 115 yards and with a witness! :doh: I should have bought a lottery ticket! Oh yes, the Bunnies got away unscathed but not before a wee pause to rub it in!

Bruce

Back