Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice

Seeking advice

I have been working with the owner of a local fishery over the past 3 years gathering evidence of cormorant damage. This year I have been granted a license from Natural England to shoot a number of these birds.
    The license has a number of conditions which I am not prepared to breach as I want it renewed again for next year.
    One condition causing problems is that the birds can only be shot when they land in the water & not when in flight. I have been using 42 gram size 3 shot, 3 1/2 inch magnum 12g. But as the birds sit so low in the water and their feathers are so tight when not in flight and the distance means the shots don't seem be be having any effect. The birds will continue diving and fishing just out of range. Although advice on the license recommends shot size 3-4 & 12g,it doesn't state this must be used. I won't use my .22 rim fire as the bullet would skim off the water surface and I have no suitable back stop if that happens. - so here's the question does the .17 HMR behave like the .22 for bouncing off all sorts of surface or would it break up / penetrate the water?
    The maximum height I can achieve is lying on top of a shipping container shooting at a distance 10-100 yards so a variety of angles which the bullet could hit the water at.
    Cheers Wingy

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    aaaarggh!!! Overkiller!!!!!!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Both my .223 & .243 were considered and not yet ruled out - thinking .17 as a cheaper option I've just bought a CZ Amarican

.223 Is the required cal for geese by central science labs reports, they are roughly the same size & weight as a Canada.

Lead free ????

Quote Originally Posted by wildfowler1 View Post
    Lead free ????
    Thought about that one but with a bullet it would be hit & dead or miss, it would not be flying off full of lead shot. Unlike the steel shot I've been using I know I've hit a few and some good hits in the 30 yds range but these birds still get up and fly off. as horrible as the birds are I don't like the thought of them flying off full of steel shot wounds.

A high seat may give a better angle for a shot , some of the older long single barrel shot guns had a good reach with BB's . I had a single shot BSA hammer action used as a trapping gun which could take what the .22 could reach. It could be that the shot pattern is just too dispersed at the range you are shooting at .try a shot at a ply board at the approx distance and check the shot pattern. I've heared a rumour that a 7mm round 1" above waterline is efficacious.