Seeking advice

If your serious about killing them you will need to move to a rifle if your condition to will allow it (mine do now, but didn't used to).
I have been shooting them on licence for years now, and am supposed to only shoot them on the water as well.
That is the problem, as you have discovered they take a hit and keep on going, the 17hmr does the job at 100 yards
or less, with a decent hit, .22 hornet makes a better job of it, the .243 will be even better :D
I am lucky in that I can shoot from high ground down on to them on 3 of the lakes, the others are still a problem.
Over the years found the best way is to position a few fence posts around the lake for them to dry their wings on.
I have shot them when flying but legal or not it is an easy way to get caught, shooting them on water, or at lest very close to the water is far better.
I can also shut the lakes down when necessary, and it is necessary if your going to use a rifle.
I assume you have a cull target ? do not fall short of it ;)

Neil. :)

Last edited:
you need some of these:

grafham%20fly%20caught%20zander%20.jpg

Well if you could use a rifle then a .223 using a V max would be the medicine. A 60grn V max is awesome on crows exploding them so would be extremly satisfying on a black death.

Last night on the train my imagination ran wild. If you couldn't use a rifle and have to shoot them on the water with a shotgun then this is the ultimate.

Aquire a carp anglers remote control bait boat and mount on it a remotely operated small shot gun, .410/9mm open choke, small shot. Disguise bait boat as a canada using suitable shell decoy and then from a suitable vantage point pilot the decoy canada to suitable black death and fire shotgun at close range. I expect v effective. You could mount a small TV camera on the boat and use that for the final stealth approach, otherwise good pair of rangefinding bins to get the taget and decoy range correct.

Surely its got to be worth a try!!!!

D

Well if you could use a rifle then a .223 using a V max would be the medicine. A 60grn V max is awesome on crows exploding them so would be extremly satisfying on a black death.

Last night on the train my imagination ran wild. If you couldn't use a rifle and have to shoot them on the water with a shotgun then this is the ultimate.

Aquire a carp anglers remote control bait boat and mount on it a remotely operated small shot gun, .410/9mm open choke, small shot. Disguise bait boat as a canada using suitable shell decoy and then from a suitable vantage point pilot the decoy canada to suitable black death and fire shotgun at close range. I expect v effective. You could mount a small TV camera on the boat and use that for the final stealth approach, otherwise good pair of rangefinding bins to get the taget and decoy range correct.

Surely its got to be worth a try!!!!

D

:tiphat:
this needs to be built!

Thanks, I think the best option will be to put some posts in for them to roost on. Possibly a sneaky .223 then apply for rifle on licence next year
Wingy

Thanks, I think the best option will be to put some posts in for them to roost on. Possibly a sneaky .223 then apply for rifle on licence next year
Wingy
As posted previously,... .223 is the required cal by central science labs for Canada's, as these birds are similar in size & weight, that would be your best option variation wise, If I were you I would not be thinking of anything "Sneaky" before sorting your ticket!, & .17 HMR, that's just not fair!

After heavy weather the nets on the salmon farm cages get ripped and in a flash the birds are in , you can get close enough to use a shotgun ,the problem is they dive and only the head and a little of the neck showing popping up only for seconds ,once they are stuffed full of smolts a pock net can be used to lift them out they dont taste as bad as you might think , fry the breasts no need to put oil in the pan ,

Back