Another rifle follows me home.

Muir

I was wandering through the Trading Post this evening to buy a couple of thousand primers. The manager saw me and reached into a pile of pawned, dusty rifles to pull out a Model 70 Winchester in 30-06 which he promptly handed me. He knew that I was looking for another 30-06 loaner to replace the Howa I gave to my son-in-law last year. The rifle had some case wear on the barrel but a nicely figured walnut stock and an absolutely crisp bore. It cost me $300 US and I just couldn't pass it up.

Next week I am to deliver a loaner rifle to my daughter's father-in-law to use on a deer hunt in South Dakota. I had intended to let him use my M-70 243 (a rifle I have no emotion and little use for) but I am doubtful as to his marksmanship abilities. Last year he used my FN 30-06 (and killed a deer by the brute force of a raking shot) but I rebarreled that to 6,5x55 and he is not getting that. I hate the thought of a wounded deer due to poor marksmanship so I couldn't help feel that this rifle's appearance was Providential. It was, perhaps, a Divine Intervention.

I'll not be the man who would stand between the Will of the Almighty and a rifle purchase!??!!~Muir

Last edited:
Muir, when things like that happen, best not to ask questions and go with the flow! Enjoy it matey!

ATB,

Scrummy

73418592.teSlk1cn.jpg
Andy, pretty soon you gonna have to extend that gunroom!:lol:

Make the evil bitch child pay for it. I'm glad he is not getting that 243, one in the hands of that girl is quite enough!

John

Make the evil bitch child pay for it. I'm glad he is not getting that 243, one in the hands of that girl is quite enough!

John

You are, without exception, the only man on the planet that could call my dear, sweet, baby girl "..the evil bitch child" and live to draw his next breath.:lol:

Actually, I heard from her last night. The father-in-law has now got his own rifle. I am spared. I did clean up that rifle. ONce I took of the layers of dust it is quite beautiful. Do you want it? Or are you content with that Browning Automatic Rifle 30-06 I'm care taking for you??~Muir

You are, without exception, the only man on the planet that could call my dear, sweet, baby girl "..the evil bitch child" and live to draw his next breath.:lol:

Actually, I heard from her last night. The father-in-law has now got his own rifle. I am spared. I did clean up that rifle. ONce I took of the layers of dust it is quite beautiful. Do you want it? Or are you content with that Browning Automatic Rifle 30-06 I'm care taking for you??~Muir

It's only because she loves me :D I'll stick with the Browning thank you, but I still think it is a bit much for the PD's...

It's only because she loves me :D I'll stick with the Browning thank you, but I still think it is a bit much for the PD's...
She loves you, true that...
Yeah. I came to that same conclusion myself about that aught-six so last spring I laid in a supply of 165 grain BTSP's. Those 180's were a bit much, I will admit. You'll just need to be a little more careful with shot placement with the one sixty-fives, that's all.~Muir

I caved in. Last night, late, I loaded some 30-06 and took this rifle to the range this morning in the +17F temps. I was lucky in that the last owner had his Trashco 4X scope pretty well set and I was on paper immediately. The load was a PPU 165 grain BTSP over 49.5 of IMR 4895 (It was in my powder measure) All the usual case prep applied.

I fired two, three shot groups over a fore-end rest. One was an inch, the other a smidge less. That's not BR quality but it's encouraging as the loads were quite generic in configuration. I am cleaning the copper out of it now and will relegate it to a teaching unit for some would be cast bullet shooter's in my area I'm giving lessons to. At least i know it's a keeper.~Muir

Bye the way Andy, now I have my bottom pour ladle from Saddler, I re cast from your mould, just twelve grains short of 400, probably need to be a bit quicker on the pour!.

Bye the way Andy, now I have my bottom pour ladle from Saddler, I re cast from your mould, just twelve grains short of 400, probably need to be a bit quicker on the pour!.

I thought that might be the approximate weight. Perfect for the Marlin. My son is here now and we were contemplating taking his Marlin Cowboy 45-70 on our deer hunt tomorrow in South Dakota. I have 200, 330 grain HP's cast. (Don't you know that took a few hours!) But his 6.5x55 is ready to go....~Muir

Back