6.5x47 rebarrel job

jimmy milnes

hi all,
after much thought and head banging ive sent my trusty 25/06 t3 in for a rebarrel job. it wasnt shot out but its certainly seen some action and to be honest on range day i have cooked it a little more than i should the odd time.
the caliber ive decided to go to is 6.5x47L as after trawling the internet and load manuals along with talking to some guy that shoot it, it just seems right for me. ive always found the 25 a nice rifle to shoot and stuff doest seem to run on "roe is my staple diet" when they get a tap from it but i feel a change was on the cards " just because i can" so in its gone for the work.
nows the itchy bit haha ive ordered it with an 18in barrel or there abouts as may have to go 18.5 to avoid stock mods. "does anyone on here have experience of this caliber in short lengths please so i can be reasured that ive made the right choice" the smith thats doing the work is very confident it will be ok, may get a little more flash than normal but other than that no bother
anyone able to offer me a noo noo blanket would be much appreciated

kind regards
jimmy

Hi Jimmy

I would guess that a few on here will suggest the same thing and that is 18" is short for any barrel, but again it depends I suppose on what you want to do with it. Remember that extra flash you are referring to is in fact wasted powder which equates to lost velocity. Depending on what bullets you opt for I would guess that you will have a much slower round than that experienced with your 25-06. What barrel length were you using in the 25' before the change?

I have looked at having a rifle built in 6.5x47Lapua as well but think personally I would opt for a 22" barrel minimum and may even go for 24".

Great choice of chambering regardless though mate!

Horses for courses Jimmy. If that's what you wanted, then that's fine. It will still work, and will still be an accurate little cartridge, but 18" is not something I would ever recommend to a customer in this Caliber. Just make you choose bullets which will expand reliable at lower velocities, or you will find you are going to have a few running deer.

as with most Lapua cases it has a higher than average pressure limit
65k in this case

you should be able to utilise a sensible bullet weight and faster powder to keep velocities up with an 18" barrel
the issue is the cartridge is not starting from a high baseline for normal velocities

but you only need a decent 2600-2900 range for normal stalking ranges/bullet choice/shots

hi bewsher500,
totally agree with you and danpd regards bullet/powder choice, and on talking to the guy building it he was suggesting 100g partitions or the like so a nice light bullet but with good weight retention on impact. this "may" be an issue on the bigger stuff but as im mainly stalking roe, with proper placement i think this would work
regards
jimmy

Last edited:
Hi Jimmy

I would guess that a few on here will suggest the same thing and that is 18" is short for any barrel, but again it depends I suppose on what you want to do with it. Remember that extra flash you are referring to is in fact wasted powder which equates to lost velocity. Depending on what bullets you opt for I would guess that you will have a much slower round than that experienced with your 25-06. What barrel length were you using in the 25' before the change?

I have looked at having a rifle built in 6.5x47Lapua as well but think personally I would opt for a 22" barrel minimum and may even go for 24".

Great choice of chambering regardless though mate!

hi brian hope your well,
the t3 has a 22in barrel and then the mod so im fed up of it being a struggle going through woodland and the like with it pinging on branches. i did try carriying it butt up but that was just as much a bind so fancied short and manoverable
regards
jimmy

Hi Jimmy,

How are you getting on with it?

I have also been advised to go with an 18" barrel. I'm curious to know how you are finding it and what primer, powder and head you are shooting.

Best,

Miles

Hi miles
Not got it back yet but shouldn't be long now as gone to proof today ill let you know how I get on when its in my hands
Regards
Jimmy

Hi miles
Its back at smiths and ive seen and held it and like what ive got but we've had a few mod issues due to the short barrel and original over barrel one interference with stock so new one on order
Regards
Jimmy

Back