Knees

cube

I was wondering how many stalkers have bad knees and how they cope? I am into hospital on Thursday for another knee op - I know it's not life threatening and there are lots of people out there worse off but it's funny how the little things can affect you so much much when they go wrong. I can swim and gym fine, cycle for 30-40 miles ok, but walking the dogs....after 10 mins I'm fecked! Needless to say beating and stalking is currently on hold!

Albeit that the original cause of the problem was bloody rugby! Watching the games today I wonder how many of the players will be once there playing days are over ( did anyone see Argentinas Contemponi ruin his knee today against Wales - felt physically sick watching that)!

Does anyone stalk with a replacement knee, if so how goes it.

As for rugby, Argentina were good today (Wales not so), South Africa brutal as ever, England looked good too, but I have to say that the highlight is going to be the All Blacks tomorrow. As a Scot I should probably not watch but given how good the current flock of All Blacks are it'll still be a joy to watch. I read today that some former All Blacks reckon this team is as good as the 87 lot.....personally I think the 1996 team that won the series in South Africa is top of the tree. Here's hoping we put up a decent fight!

New knees or no knees, I'll still be wrong with the wife!!!!

E

My stalking buddy has had both knees done and ops on his feet ,he just stalks slower ....walk a little look a lot .he also had carpel tunnel ops on his hands .it don't stop him pulling the trigger .
Take your time and mentor a younger stronger newbie stalker who can do the donkey work with any carcasses and learn from you :D
norma

i have had two knee ops now it does get to me stalking but i need to keep dry if i get it wet or cold for a long period im done . new zealand for 16 days went well till about 4 days till the end and i slipped in the dark setting off on a hunt and landed on a rock . i carried on but held everyone up that day i really struggled it was awfull and it took about two months to get sorted after. I will need a new knee but really need to keep going as long as possible as i think i am right in saying you only get one.
if im in scotland on any hard going a knee brase for me is a must to keep everything in line as i only need to twist wrong and it takes ages to get back but it wont beat me heat packs work well as for me its cold damp thats the killer, atb and good luck

Had a day on the pheasants, duck today very good day now suffering with pains & aches in my knees, got a job to walk now, in next month for surgery hope it works , all fieldsports a struggle with knackered knees. Steve

2 knee ops from cocking it up in MMA and I just walk slower and use a red head torch when I'm on new ground or its really dark and just take things slow at night.

If its a long day ill take ibuprofen gel with me to rub on it and a knee support and always make sure I'm wearing warm and water proof trousers :)

As you said cube I have had double ops on both knees from playing rugger, the right ones paying up again as I hyper flexed it a couple of months ago dragging a Roe buck across a fence. Now I use a knee brace and plenty of pain killers, got to make an appointment with the quack to get it sorted. Just have to stalk a lot slower now and mind where I put my feet!

Dragging deer, rugby, restocks and a couple of torn ligaments and a hip and knee dislocation!

Just think a bit more before attacking something, less brawn, more brains!!!

Biggest problem now, is keeping the weight off! Sitting at a PC all day!

Getting back to rugby, looking forward to Murrayfield tomorrow, looking at the starting 15, certainly no mercy being shown by the kiwis.
will be good, traveling down with 40 kids 20 senior pupils, 20 first years many of whom it'll be ther first time at mf. All good fun:D

God knows what these pro rugby guys will be like when they reach 50? Gone are the days of doing the milking before playing for your country.

i do enjoy watching the celtic boys play ireland wales seem to have so much heart in there game but england did look strong yesterday
play simple sometimes boring rugby but it get results.

wish the scots well but some chalenge today against the all blacks

speedy recovery pal
bally

Last edited:
I had 4 arthroscopies between the age of 23 and 25...again rugby

not weighing more than you have to is obviously the key in later life but so is muscle. but at 6'4" staying to 10 stone is not really an option!

I was a lazy patient and lost a lot of muscle mass post ops
The bulk of your knew relies on stability from you quad and hams supporting the capsule, especially important with reconstructions

don't skimp on post op physio ...do more if you can.
you will pay for it otherwise

I find going down hill for long periods harder than going up as a result.

doesn't stop me stalking though

Sad to hear mate, but for anyone else reading - prevention is better than cure! If you add up all the weight you carry whilst just stalking it soon adds up! I was reminded as to how heavy just clothing gets yesterday out in the pouring rain! Rough terrain and heavy loads are not 'knee friendly'! It's also not good for the back either and I'm sure many on here will vouch for having a bad one of those as well! (self included!)
One way to help prevent this is to wear a good pair of shock absorbing insoles such as sorbathane's. They can also have a great effect on back pain too. A decent roe sack or back pack with a load bearing waist band will help to transfer some of the weight from the shoulders down to the hips. A big 'bum bag' is my preferred method of carrying stuff if required.

I'm sure it is too late for some of the older folk who are beginning to wear out but any relief from pain is a bonus! Any young pups reading this who are beginning to feel a few twinges may benefit in the long run from a small insole investment though? They keep your feet warm and cosy too!!!!:thumb:
MS:D

One knee is buggerd because of football makes crawling extreemly pain full so dont do it much now but im no spring chicken so should moan there are many worse off than me.

i have experienced horrific knee injuries from racing motocross as a kid. in 1989 i crashed causing my right knee to hyper-extend which resulted in my foot ending up under my chin. everything relating to my knee was destroyed explained by the surgeon that the only thing undamaged was the skin around my knee. He was explaining this to my mum as he was preparing her for the fact that he would most likely have to amputate the leg above the knee. The artery was basically pulled apart and spasmed preventing me from bleeding out internally. this was not picked up , and the junior doctor involved was going to leave me from saturday afternoon to monday to let the swelling go down before i was operated on. at 0200 sunday morning a Dye test revealed no blood supply in my lower leg hence the likelihood of amputation. To cut a very long story short the first operation was over 7:30 hrs involved an artery bypass and major reconstructive surgery. The motor nerves that move my foot were ripped apart along with the artery which has resulted in almost total loss of movement in my right foot. i have had approx 10 operations on the same leg as a result of the injury but i have been lucky to enjoy a success sporting career since. This is not about my accomplishments but more to answer the original posters question about carrying on. Since my accident as a 16 yr old in 1989 i have fought in 3 jui jitsu world tournaments winning a silver medal in 2 of these. i have fought pro rules at MMA only retiring in 2009 and still hold a local LHW title for MMA. i enjoy sports and completed my first triathlon this year and second 10KM runnning race. for me competing in a running event is a massive accomplishment due to other minor injuries. Since the 89 accident i lost the ACL legiment in the same knee around 91-92 playing football, the surgeon was talking of a ligament replacment but due to the liklihood of my body rejecting the ligament after the bone infection of the first injury he opted not to repair it. as a result by keeping strong muscles above and below the knee i have survived without the ACL for over 20 years without noticable problems. The ironic part of this story is since stopping fighting a couple of years ago i am experiencing more problems with my knees due to not keeping as active.

My personal outlook on such things are " keep her lit to you hear glass and smell ****", i have no problem if i loose my leg at this stage as i consider everyday since 89 as a bonus and i have been lucky to keep it for 22 years that i wouldnt have if it was amputated in 89.

keith

Did nit play much rugby - was told at the age of fourteen if I carried on playing with the state of my knees at that time I would be in a wheel chair by the time I was 40. So instead rowed and rowed at till the age of 26 - that combined with a couple of good skiing accidents means that cold damp weather is not brilliant.

Reading most of these posts, most of us are prime candidates to be included in the annual cull!

Many thanks for all your replies and comments. Initial op went fine, cartridge tear rectified, original ACL graft has a couple more years in it. The difference is astonishing, almost like a taking a stone out of your shoe is the closest I can get. Rehab going well if a wee bit painful, I am managing without the drugs which made me feel completely out of it and sea sick.

KSB - your story is truly astounding, I feel slightly ashamed having read through your post...my issues pale in comparison.

Happy hunting to you all.

Euan

Back