importing gun's from the us

For the uk, yes you can BUT

1.you need a slot on your FAC.
2.The correct paper work from the ATF for export. Which a friend will have to fill out and file, way before you go over to the US(I don't think aliens are alowed to buy fire arms with a uk FAC. And the export paper work has to be approved before you leave the country).
3. If the rifle is less than 12 months old (receipt required) you will have to pay duty on your return( if the value exceeds £350 now I think)

Havent got a clue about Ireland conditions. But I do know that is what you need for the uk.

Last edited:
Paddy this question has come up several times before on the site, it may be worth doing a search through previous postings. I know that in the past it was relatively easy and quite legal to purchase firearms in the U.S. when visiting and to simply declare them on your return. In recent years things have changed and I understand that it is now very difficult for visitors to purchase firearms and that normally guns will only be sold to U.S. citizens and those with resident status and the necessary authority.

Paddy this question has come up several times before on the site, it may be worth doing a search through previous postings. I know that in the past it was relatively easy and quite legal to purchase firearms in the U.S. when visiting and to simply declare them on your return. In recent years things have changed and I understand that it is now very difficult for visitors to purchase firearms and that normally guns will only be sold to U.S. citizens and those with resident status and the necessary authority.

That is true. That's why you need a friend to perchace it for you ahead of time and get the paper work sorted out. Then you are listed as the courier for export as far as the ATF is concerned. You become the owner when you arrive back in you home country. So make sure you are authorised to own that rifle. I will try and find the link to the ATF site for the export licence. Then send it to you on PM.

am in northern ireland so id say the uk law stands here

Should be the same then.

I can't stress enough that getting a friend to buy the rifle for you in advance and get the paper work done. You will need the same permission if you wish to bring a scope back with greater magnification than x4 times.

I my know this as there is a rifle with my name on it sat in Montana at the moment.

Looked into this recentley and it`s not easy at all,, in fact , unless it`s a gun that can`t be got over here, it wasn`t worth the hassle, specially fora newish gun, as customs and excise do`nt miss a trck these days, adding mega money to an apparent bargain

the more i look into it i sadly dont think its worth it . its a new custom rifle am looking at made by ga precision

You will need a FFL dealer with a export licence to get it out of the US. I just imported one into Canada, you need a International Import certificate or it UK equivalent, a end user statement and a purchase order. Buy the rifle, have it sent to a FFL dealer that exports, send him your paper work, he get the export licence, you pay the fees,he sends the gun. About $500 US for everything

If you do not go through and FFL (Federal Firearms Dealer) dealer with export license (as Spooksar correctly noted) then you have a much more confusing path.

Here in the states, each state (rather than the Federal Govt) controls the sale of firearms, to some degree. A licensed FFL must abide by Federal guidelines, but there are other options. If you have been resident for 90 days (as a student or working on a visa) you are eligible to purchase. If you go to a private party sale (individual to individual) these can be even less restrictive. Again, the state is all important. In some states such as Illinois (home of Chicago) you must have an FOID (Firearm Owner ID) in order to possess or purchase arms or ammunition. In other states such as KY you simply need a clean criminal record. In my case, being retired military, I have walked in, chosen a firearm, completed the purchase, and walked out in 30 minutes or less. After purchase, no record is kept, so I can then dispose of the firearm as I see fit.

Interestingly, it is the states and areas with the most restrictive laws that also have the greatest incidence of firearm crime. Seems the criminals aren't too keen on obeying the laws - imagine that;)

If you do not go through and FFL (Federal Firearms Dealer) dealer with export license (as Spooksar correctly noted) then you have a much more confusing path.

Here in the states, each state (rather than the Federal Govt) controls the sale of firearms, to some degree. A licensed FFL must abide by Federal guidelines, but there are other options. If you have been resident for 90 days (as a student or working on a visa) you are eligible to purchase. If you go to a private party sale (individual to individual) these can be even less restrictive. Again, the state is all important. In some states such as Illinois (home of Chicago) you must have an FOID (Firearm Owner ID) in order to possess or purchase arms or ammunition. In other states such as KY you simply need a clean criminal record. In my case, being retired military, I have walked in, chosen a firearm, completed the purchase, and walked out in 30 minutes or less. After purchase, no record is kept, so I can then dispose of the firearm as I see fit.

Interestingly, it is the states and areas with the most restrictive laws that also have the greatest incidence of firearm crime. Seems the criminals aren't too keen on obeying the laws - imagine that;)

Yep, thats true for brand new rifles. So if paddy is importing from the states, without
actually going to the states he is in for a world of red tape. My stated method works for a rifle you are bringing back from a visit from the states that is a "gift".

Back