Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a close call

a close call

I went down to the shoot with another member on monday afternoon, As nobody had been down over the weekend We had to top up the feeders etc.
    We had finished by 4pm so decided to have a go at the duck as they were coming into the ponds.

Griff has never been used on duck or retrieving on water, so thought it would be good to give him a go and see how he coped.

When we got there some mallard were already on the pond so we got off to a good start and griff took to retreiving them. with no problems.
    As it got darker the teal started coming in giving us some excellent shooting, by then the temp had fallen and was just above freezing with a strong wind making it feel a lot colder, Dougy said his feet were freezing and was ready to call it quits, We agreed to one more go then home (big mistake)
    Shot 2 more teal griff retrieved the first one no problem turned back an went straight out for the other, 5 minutes later we could here him swimming around (to dark to see him) and guessed the bird was diving every time he tried to pick it, another 5 minutes and still the same, well by then I was getting worried so tried calling him in no joy. finally after over 15mins I went in for him, god was that water cold after going out 15ft it was chest deep and there was about 6inches of mist on the water. (dougy cant swim so told me to keep talking so he would know if I went under, after only a few feet he told me not to bother as he could here my teeth chattering).
    went a few more steps and walked off a ledge and went under luckily after a few strokes I managed to grab griffs ear and tried dragging him towards me at first there was resistance as if he was caught up with something then he broke free.
    then I saw the decoy he had been hanging onto.
    The decoy was an old one that had been left in a long time ago and forgotten about.
    When I got him on the bank he just lay there retching water it took ages before he got up, we then had nearly a mile to walk back to the farm before I could get out of my wet clothes, I was that blue I must have looked like a smurf.
    Next time I go to the pond Im going to blast the s**t out of that decoy before we start.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Never a good idea to go after a dog but we do dont we .my spanial went through the ice on our pond and couldn't get out after 5 mins he was had it with his chin the only thing keeping him up ,I was going in but my boss stopped me .
    his clear thinking got some heras fencing sections I penned the duck with out over the ice and I shimmed out and grabbed my dog yes the ice broke but I only went waste deep not neck deep took us a while to get going again dog was in shock but made a full recovery after being by the shoot wood burner all afternoon .
    glad you were ok

You are right Norma, and I dont advocate anybody taking risks, but I bet to a man everybody on here would do anything they could to stop their dog from drowning as you and I did mate.
    at 55 I getting to old for icy dips though

Anyone doing the entering the water thing should remember to stifle the urge to gasp as the cold shock hits, once the shock has passed, you will stand a much higher chance of your own survival
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Close call Sinbad - glad it went well. I have to say though that I wouldn't recommend going in as I've had experience of recovering the bodies of others who haven't survived similar incidents.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Glad your all OK, as much as we all may advocate not going in to icy water I too could not sit by and watch if my dog got stuck. I feel if you own a dog you are duty bound to look after thier wellfare. It's an emotive subject though and I'm soft with dogs...

I suppose the one advantage I had is that last year the pond fell to its lowest level in years, and we got the chance to clear a lot of debris out during the summer, but I must be honest I had forgotten how big the step was at about 25ft out.
    Finnbear you must show me sometime how not to gasp when your gonads are submerged it freezing water mate.

Well done Sinbad.

" not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Dorset/Somerset/Wilts Border
    Blog Entries
    Glad you are both OK. That's how determined to please some dogs are.

I got my ESS having been so impressed with a Keepers dog down at Saltash. She was about 13 and yet worked so hard, happily all day for us and boy was it cold. At evening we got under a big flock of Geese and she went in half a dozen times. One went down with its wing up and sailed across the estuary and it was all he could do to grab her and stop her going after it. We had to pick her up and put her in the Land Rover at the end she was that tired.

It would be so hard not to go in.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.