Heavy barrel

jon15

Am about to embark on buying a new/used rifle and have found one I like (have not been to see as it is 3 hrs away) it has a heavy fluted barrel, i want this as an all round rifle, some high seat work, some lamping, some woodland stalking and some hill stalking. I am not averse to caring a little extra weight as I have two rifles that are normal and i never even think about weight (not sure how much weight a heavy barrel adds?) really want to know does anyone use one? and does the extra weight make any difference to them?

What calibre is it? I would say in the majority of cases, the need for a heavy barrel isnt justified for stalking. The only thing a heavy barrel helps with IMHO is to reduce recoil (if its a particularly nasty calibre) and also takes longer to heat up, therefore if your putting down lots of shots in a short space, the shots are less likely to start wandering... Oh, and helping to burn calories after humping it around all day!

If its a dedicated rifle for highseat, lamping or targets then it makes no odds really and a heavy barrel has its advantages.

I had a varmint barrel on my Sako 75 for a while. The extra weight was a double edged sword. It was fine for low ground roe stalking, but hard work going up a hill. Could I suggest you weigh your current rifles and ask the seller of the rifle you fancy for a like for like weight? That should give you some idea of how much extra weight you are getting into.

Good luck. JCS

My .243 is fitted with a sporter barrel, my .204 has a Varmit barrel fitted and I would never want to carry that thing far at all, I'm a big lad (not fat) so I would say steer clear if you want a rifle for hill stalking or any form of shooting where you will carry it a lot, JMHO

Al.

I only have heavy barrel rifles,defo harder to carry for hours but I wouldn't change for sporter.my 22lr is hb too

bit more info would help,you dont say what make/model or what you intend for its use but it is a personal thing some like the look a H/B gives the gun some prefer the sporter weight Barrel,,,,its a bit like the looks of the CB750 Honda of 72 to the looks of the BSA Rocket Three the CB was a niece looking bike but the Beezer was lighter if you get where i am coming from personal choice you pays your money you takes chance.

paul

i have a remmington varmin barrel .to bloody heavy, to front heavy with a t8 on ,and to long .So just had 7in off and re screw cut i think it,s going to be a lot better. my mate said to buy this and i cursed the day i did

It's entirely personal opinion and the setup as a whole. All my rifles are heavy barrelled cut down to 20". I wouldn't thank someone for a lightweight barrel and likewise they may not thank me for my heavy barrels - personal opinion, I simply shoot much better with a heavy barrel and don't mind the weight. Doesn't help you much, but that said nobody can tell you whether you shoot better with either, or whether you will be able to comfortably deal with the extra weight. Just go and try either as much as possible I guess.

I am a heavy barrel man myself! I have only owned one sporter weight rifle that shot well! I'm sure there will be many disagree but I personally can out up with the extra weight even when I'm stalking cause I'm do much more confident in the rifles I own all varmint barrels. The only thing you can fo that can help is perhaps go down the short barrel route I have one at 22'' which I know is not that short, but it certainly helps as apposed to my other which is 26'' rifle that is my truck gun! Like someone said to me once you don't see target shooters with sporter barrels but they don't have tp carry them anywhere! I don't think there's a right or wrong here really personal choice! :lol:

I have a HB .222 and I do prefer it to medium weight barrels. I've carried it for hours as a general walking round rifle and I don't find it any truble at all. Mind you, mine isn't moderated. If its heavy and long (over 24") and moderated it will be an unwieldy thing. I find HBs nicer to shoot in the field. The barrel weight makes off hand, prone without bipod and shots off sticks easier. It steadies the rifle. My triple is a joy to shoot.

Thank you for your input, just spoken with the seller and he said it is too heavy to carry all day, have seen a sako 75 that might suit so will see how this avenue develops. cheers for all your replies.

My friend rebarrelled his howa to 308 and only managed to get a heavy barrel.
The barrel was chopped to 20" and we fitted a carbon stock weighing only 700 grams. This all
helped but the rifle ist still on the heavy side. He now bought a sporter barrelled rifle.
I mainly use a medium barrelled 22" 308 which is also fitted with an ultra light stock. Weight wise this is just ok
for the hill but has the advantage of a being ultra reliable out to longer ranges.
edi

I have been using match barrel on my blaser for the last 4 years. I wanted a heavy barrel as I didnt want to use a moderator. I am of average height and I have no problem carrying it up the hill. I would much prefer to be more comfortable taking a shot with a heavy rifle than carrying a lightweight rifle that I couldnt shoot straight. Too much is made of light weight rifles............................... Get a Niggeloh rucksack type sling.

I don't even use a heavy barrel for varminting, really. All of my best hunting rifles are sporter barreled; not light weight, just sporter weight. I seldom require my deer rifles to fire more than a few consecutive shots though, and frankly, lately I've been lucky. I've only needed more than one shot, once in the last 5 years. My main pronouncement on a barrel is whether is "points" when used off-hand. If it hangs out there without being overly heavy it's good with me.~Muir

As a keen varmint shooter the furthest my 22BR gets carried is from the car to the bench or prone shooting position, hence it sports a very heavy barrel, in fact a HV profile finished at 24" all up weight is 13 1/2lbs.
I built this rifle as a true varminter but with the added intention of possibly competing in BR matches
My .257 AI has a 26" custom profile fluted varmint barrel and an all up weight of about 10lbs, this is my long range varmint rig/deer rifle and also does not get carried very far, although i could use it from a high seat if needed
The heavy barrels and added weight are excellent for stability on the bench or prone and really do aid target hold.

Ian.

Have had two stalkers come out with heavy barrels we stalk lowland woods, flat as you like, but a couple of miles each stalk, both sold them one was a sako the other a stihr,never seen the advantage of a heavy barrel while stalking.

Back