My first Roe Buck - and my first deer!

manc-munsters

The stalk came around quite unusually as I was holidaying in Cumbria for a week with my wife and had sneaked in an outing already on Monday so had my rifle and ammunition with me. I have stalked twice previously, once in high seats and once walked, but I have only seen does so had yet to take my first ever deer. I was quite surprised when I got a message offering me some roe stalking in the Borders. Everything seemed to click as I was already almost half way there and we had virtually done all the things we wanted to do in the week. A quick phone call confirmed the stalking was with Marc at Harwood Estate. This was how I found myself in the company of Marc and his son Jack last evening.
After the initial introductions were over, Marc and I chatted for half an hour or so about my (very limited) stalking experience, my expectations, my experience with firearms and general safety issues. Marc left me chatting with Jack for a couple of minutes while he collected his ATV.
First off we went to check zero of my rifle. A very useful exercise as the zero had moved. A few clicks of the scope and Marc deemed me to be an acceptable shot. A quick detour to the house to drop off Jack and pick up a flask and we were off.
We went to two or three places around the estate and glassed for deer. The main thing that struck me was Marc's laid back nature and the laughs we were having. Marc was very forthcoming with his experience and advice. I learned more sat in that ATV for a couple of hours than in a shelf full of books.
At around 1900 Marc suggested we try a site where he had seen a buck and a doe a few times over the last few day.
The site was everything I have read a suitable site should be. We were on a ride full of lush grass and had a fairly young plantation to our left, with heavy cover to our right. Marc suggested the deer would come across from the plantation, cross the ride and go into the cover for the night.
About 1945 I spotted movement to our left, 10 o'clock at about 130 yards. Marc glassed the area and confirmed it was a doe and it was being followed by a yearling buck, a good cull beast. We waited and spoke in hushed voices. At around 2015 the doe appeared to the left of the ride at about 130 yards. She slowly, and I do mean slowly! moved across the ride from left to right, eating all the while, and disappeared into the heavy cover. I chambered a 243wssm in my Winchester and waited for the buck. He appeared at the same spot as the doe, looked left and right, and walked at a brisk pace across the ride and into cover. I only just managed to get him in the cross hairs but he was too quick for me to take a shot at. Believing my chance had gone, I was a little disappointed. Marc assured me it was way too early for them to couch up in the cover and insisted they would come back again. I applied the safety catch and made myself comfortable in case I got another chance.
Fifteen minutes later and Marc nudged me. The buck was coming back onto the ride at about 90 yards and I had to be ready.
I brought the rifle up and found the head of the buck just coming out of the cover. He was at an angle of about 30 degrees to me, slightly facing away, so I knew to aim a little further back than normal. I clicked off the safety and waited. Marc whispered for me to take the shot when ever I felt comfortable, but it was OK if I was not happy to take it. As the buck came half way out of the cover I put the cross hairs about 4” to the rear of his shoulder and took up first pressure on the trigger. As the his full body cleared the cover, he put his head down to feed. The cross hairs were still on him, so I squeezed off a 100gn Speer SP pushed by 39.5gn of H380. Even though I was using a T8 moderator, I was still surprised to hear the thud of the impact. I saw him go down, but then lost my sight picture as Marc reminded me to reload straight away. To my horror, I saw a deer bounding around in the immediate area of the shot and feared the worst. Marc said there was no need for a follow up shot, so I made the rifle safe. I told Marc where I had marked the strike zone, and he explained that the deer bounding about was the doe, not the buck. He confirmed the shot was well placed and the buck was down.
We waited what seemed like an age before Marc said we would be clear to go forward and we drove the 90 yards to the strike area. There was lots of frothy blood in an area around a square foot, plus lots of blood heading into the cover. Marc again assured me the beast was dead and, as if to confirm it, he spotted the buck about 15ft from the strike area. We made our way in to the cover and found the buck dead with an entry wound about 4” behind his left shoulder. The exit wound was about an inch in front of his right shoulder.
Marc then allowed me to do the majority of the gralloch while instructing me each step of the way and explaining why each part was done. During the gralloch and inspection of the beast we saw that the bullet had taken the lungs and the heart. There was very little left of the heart and there was a broken rib on each side of the beast where the entry/exit wounds were. I was then shown how to fully prepare the beast and busied myself removing the head and feet.
Once the beast was fully prepared and loaded into the ATV we shared a cup of coffee while I came back down to earth a little and then came a statement which really took me back. “right, lets see if we can get you another one”. This, I have now found, is typical of Marc. He enjoys putting you on a deer as much (if not more than!) the stalker enjoys seeing one.
We spent the final hour or so in a couple more places that were known to hold deer, following the barking of one particular deer, and generally chatting about my earlier experience. To be totally honest, I would have been happy to go home straight after loading the buck in the ATV as I had completed my dream of taking my first deer but Marc, ever eager to please, wanted to offer more.
As dark fell, we made our way back to my car. I was given, and took, the chance to keep the beast and paid up what I owed Marc financially. I wont say how much the stalk was or how much the beast was as I have not written this as an advertisement for Marc's services but as a record of my first ever deer, and my first ever roe buck.
The two and a half hour drive back to Cumbria last night passed in no time, and the journey back from Cumbria to Manchester today passed in a similar way.

I now have a beast in the chiller and he weighted in at a respectable 15kg/33lb fully dressed. His head is also in the chiller and will be boiled tomorrow and kept as a reminder of my first deer.

I have already booked for a further outing and will be spending the next three weeks or so looking forward to making the trip north again.

As per normal, I had left the camera in the car last night, but I have managed to take some photos today as the beast was going in the chiller. I will attempt to upload them tomorrow. As the driving is now finished, its time to hit the bottle for a celebratory dram (or several!)

Russ

Congratulations Russ! A cracking report on what will surely become one of your most treasured memories. Well done you. I imagine you're well and truly hooked. :lol: :lol: :lol:

well done russ,i was lucky enough to get my first deer in december,a red stag,then a roe doe in january.both with members off this site.it truly is a memory which will last for ever.i bet you cant wait to get out again.heres to many more for the future mate.

Congratulations manc-munsters know the feeling still havent got over my first yet,i think it can only get better.Good hunting anyway mate and heres to another :)
neil

Cracking job. A great read, I thought i was there with you as i read it.

Welcome to the most addictive thing available thats legal................
Stalking.

nice one mate

Jonathon

tika.308 said:
well done russ,i was lucky enough to get my first deer in december,a red stag,then a roe doe in january.both with members off this site.it truly is a memory which will last for ever.i bet you cant wait to get out again.heres to many more for the future mate.

Congratulations and well done Russ

As tika.308 has said of his stalking. My own stalking has been greatly enhanced due to this site and a good many kind gentlemen that belong to it.
Im sure you will have many more memories with many more members

Terry

An adrenaline filled write up, like we were sat there with you. Congrats on your first of many and who sounds like a worthy guide.
ps. If you have problems with photobucket and uploading, pm me. ;)
basil.

Russ

Many congratulations on your first deer - the first of many I'm sure - and on a great write-up. I still remember my first deer and your write-up took me right back to it!

Well done again

willie_gunn

Well done Russ,
excellent post , great feeling isn't it . Hope to touch .base at Rorys training day in June.
Cheers
Trapper

First deer

Many congratulations on your first deer.
Fantastic write up.
May I say it was a pleasure to meet you and I am sure that with your attitude and outlook towards deer stalking you will have many years of enjoyment and hopefully success ahead of you.
Looking forward to the next time,
Regards
F. :lol:

Thanks for the comments chaps. It really was a fantastic experience and yes....its addictive!

I am currently attempting to boil and bleach the skull so hopefully I will be able to preserve the memory. The head will have pride of place overlooking my reloading bench.

Right, lets attempt a few photos!
I hope they resize correctly. Not sure if they are to everyones taste, but when I was researching stalking, things like entry and exit damage interested me. I am a keen reloader and wanted to learn about the best bullet/load package.

The head
img_2928.jpg

The external exit wound
img_2937.jpg

The internal entry wound
img_2935.jpg

The internal exit wound
img_2933.jpg

Russ[/img]

Well done Russ you never forget your first!!! My son and I had a trip to Harwood last week and he had his second and third deer including a cracking mature six pointer. I had a good six pointer and a fox over the three days. I cant recommend Mark and his outfit too highly. If you want value for money Roe stalking in superb surroundings and great company then give him a call.

Well done mate. That's 2 Manc lads had their first deer this year :) Can't believe how little damage the .243WSSM did even at that angle. I was reading it thinking oooh it's gonna bounce around inside and make a mess :eek: I bet you cant wait to get out again!

I agree, Marc is excellent value for money. I didn't want to put down prices as I didn't want to fall foul of any forum rules regarding advertising etc.

MTB, yep I was surprised at the lack of carcass damage. Mind you, the damage to the heart and lungs was another story! I loaded the round 0.5gn less than max, but it was still giving 2870fps across the chrono.

I intend on travelling back up to stalk quite regularly, so if you ever fancy coming up at the same time give me a shout. Always willing to share the journey with a fellow newbie, especially a manc :D I am north of the city, close to Bolton/Bury

Back