Stalking from a high seat

I use a high seat for stalking

• Total voters

howa243

Just trying to get an idea how much stalking is actually done from a high seat. If this has been done before I apologise.

i think you might hav overlooked a little something here
you can't stalk from a high seat
unless you hav walked around the shooting rail first :evil: :evil:

sorry :oops:
i hate high seats especially if i hav paid to stalk
i do hav high seats set up over my ground , but only really use them if i need too or think they will produce

i will only resort to using a high seat if i really have to !
like if i have saftey issue or ive got problem fox , the other 99% of my stalking is done on foot shooting off sticks where i can maximise my chances !

rgds

lee

Ive just returned from another great night with sako85.

We stalked around a few diferent woodlines near basingstoke making within 15 meters of a Roe doe behind a nettle bush which was very inquisitive and on the way to the high seat another doe was seen which after us crouching down walked a good way towards us.

Taking up position in the high seat i enjoyed observing another Roe and two munties which were way to fast for me before taking my first ever muntjac at 130 meters.

I like taking photos of the deer interaction and being able to observe them for a good time before taking a shot so a well placed high seat and stalking giving a good balance of both is great for me.

Terry

All depends on the terrain and the job in hand.
I have on permission where it can only be shot from a high seat due to safety reasons and the job in hand is crop protection(cherry orchard).
I do like to be mobile when i/we stalk. It's about taking in the sights and sounds and a deer at the end is always a bonus.

just my 2 penith worth

Jonathon

Sometimes I will start in a high-seat and then move off from there after 45 minutes or so. As Jonathon says, it really depends on the job in hand.

willie_gunn

A while ago i picked up a thirty acre field which already had a high seat installed. Jimmy, the owner has given me the rest of the farm from now, we were chatting the other day whilst sheltering from the rain and Jimmy told me there`s another high seat in the barn waiting to be installed. The previous chap built them then lost his license before the second seat was installed.
I`m not a big fan of high seats as i prefer to be on the move but i will install it see as though it`s already been built. No disrepect but i`d rather walk and stalk rather than sit, wait and hope.
basil.

I haven't stalked enough to vote, never even used a high seat, but they seem a good idea. If ground is flat or you have a place where Deer pass very regularly it's a good plan I think, saves walking!

I'm not lazy, but if you're still you have less chance of being spotted. It's a lot easier to let a Deer walk into you than try to walk into a Deer. Whoever is moving has the most chance of being spotted, so if you're still and the Deer is walking that has to be an advantage?

Well I am going to stick up for high seats !
A fantastic tool in the right situation .
A great way to watch deer in a way that you cant from ground level .
Magic for clearing up foxes and cubs.

If your into video or photography you can site the seat to your best advantage and get some great shots .

Stalking on foot is the essence of good sport and fieldcraft , but the high seat is as much a part of stalking as a stick ,a bi-pod ,a call etc etc .

I would strongly disagree that a high seat is not "stalking " !
Of course it is .

l have found that static shooting at certain times of the year to more productive certainly during mid to late summer months when vegatation is high and from a safety point of view its more acceptable on some of my stalking ground

highseats

We use highseats as a tool in order to aid safty & to allow us to cover areas that would give unsuitable vision form normal ground level.

On taking any new ground I in most cases try to develop a group of seats on known areas or runs, this is in most cases with respact to fallow deer.

That said we are probably shooting 50% of the deer off or sticks whilst stalking on foot, however the seats are productive if you can drop into them before 1st light & catch the herds on the move.

I would also say that when culling rather than recreational stalking that the seats do allow a better chance of mutiple kills from the same herd which would be far harder from ground level.

Love em or hate em they work for me - most of the time.

Regs Lee

While I agree that they are a valuable aid to the harvesting deer, and I have to admit to having 5 in my garden :oops: ready to go out to various leases that I stalk on. However I see them used too readily by the fat/lazy or incompetent stalker. I know some individuals that only ever seem to shoot deer from high seats, but never seem to have any luck on foot. :rolleyes:

Anybody that can keep still and there mouth shut stands as good a chance as the next man of bagging a deer, when using a high seat, but don’t kid yourself that you are out witting the deer with your field craft, because that is not the case, so therefore you are not stalking.

I know they are effective in culling deer and work well for keeping guests in one place/under control.

ATB

Tahr

i use about twenty on my patch here in somerset
i think it gives you versatility
i would say it would be 60 to 40 percent in favour of the seat
depends on the conditions and how knackered i am after
a hard days work . :( pete

Seats

I think all in all we have I have about 50 seats out now all told on 3 seperate estates along the A36-Northen Edge of the New Forest.

We have about 12 large freestanding Forestry Tower type stands on one estate that will hold up to 3 people & I do find that these are of great value when teaching new stalkers-as they allow more time to take a methodical placed shot & give increased field of vision.

They also allow any novice plenty of time to view & ID deer that are out of season.

In all cases only experianced people would be using the single man lean too typs seats on any of my ground.

Regs Lee

In all cases only experianced people would be using the single man lean too typs seats on any of my ground.

Regs Lee

Agree completely - I will never build a one-man seat, far too restrictive. A two man seat also offers the ability to really 'hotch' around into a good shooting position, for those deer which always appear slightly behind the line of the stand! :)

Rgds

Ian

I use them in urban areas were your own movement would bring you to the attention of others they are normally portable and will go home with me after a morning out.

I have 74 high seats on my ground, I think I have used maybe 3 of them. They would almost all be productive if I used them, but I find sitting in a high seat all rather boring.

Back