cutting down a .22?

novice

I've recently purchased an ancshutz 1416. It still has full open sights and, while screw cut beyond the foresight, I think I'd prefer to have it cut down.

Question is, how short is too short before velocity is affected?

Novice

IIRC all the powder is burnt within 16", after that it's actually slowing the bullet down. 16.5" seems to be a popular length.

Mine is tres short and shoots very accurately, will get it out later (the rifle) and measure it!

I dunno if this is right but my local smiths told me the overall fire-arms length had to be 24" but I might be mistaken.

16" would sound like a good length...

Overall length 600mm (24") and barrel no shorter than 300mm (12") is the general rule. On a visit to Eley many years ago we were told that the optimum length for a .22 barrel was 16" so that all the propellant is burned.

Overall length 600mm (24") and barrel no shorter than 300mm (12") is the general rule. On a visit to Eley many years ago we were told that the optimum length for a .22 barrel was 16" so that all the propellant is burned.

I often wondered about that when Anschutz first offered the 14in short model. CZ soon followed with the 16in barrel range. :confused:

Rgds, Buck.

when i got my 22 cut i took the length of the parker hale

mod off which made it 16 inch.The gun shoots realy well.

regards kev

I got quite obsessed about barrel length at one point with my rimfires... bullberry barrel works publish some great data on optimum barrel lenghts, but basically if you're bunny bashing I wouldn't worry too much as the most important thing is that you have a decent threading and crowning job done! Then put a decent moderator on it (I like the MAE mini-t)

My .22 is 15 inches (CZ542) - I had a 14" volquartzen custom barrel on a 10/22 that was just as accurate if not more so! - the shorter it is the louder it will be, but basically for a pointable rifle that's not a pain in the 4x4 I'd reccomend between 14-16".

In the pic mine is the one closest (15") and my mates is the one furthest (21") - I'm seen him do a bunny at 200 yds plus, but realistically these shots are so rare (usually within 100yds) that I much prefer being able to shoot out a vehicle and laugh at him trying to wiggle is gun out of the window! :D

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I have an Annie 1417 .22lr. It came from the factory with 14" barrel. I have compared ballistic data with performance and found that there is no effect on the quoted ballistics by the barrel being 14".

Had a chat with Mike Norris about this at the weekend and his view was that if you're using mainly subsonics then 14" is the optimum.

I got quite obsessed about barrel length at one point with my rimfires... bullberry barrel works publish some great data on optimum barrel lenghts, but basically if you're bunny bashing I wouldn't worry too much as the most important thing is that you have a decent threading and crowning job done! Then put a decent moderator on it (I like the MAE mini-t)

My .22 is 15 inches (CZ542) - I had a 14" volquartzen custom barrel on a 10/22 that was just as accurate if not more so! - the shorter it is the louder it will be, but basically for a pointable rifle that's not a pain in the 4x4 I'd reccomend between 14-16".

In the pic mine is the one closest (15") and my mates is the one furthest (21") - I'm seen him do a bunny at 200 yds plus, but realistically these shots are so rare (usually within 100yds) that I much prefer being able to shoot out a vehicle and laugh at him trying to wiggle is gun out of the window! :D

That's onE hell of a hide you carry around with you!

Had a chat with Mike Norris about this at the weekend and his view was that if you're using mainly subsonics then 14" is the optimum.

It would be Mike that I'd look to do the work as he did my .270. Did he cut one down for you? I'm assuming it would be the dame price regardless of calibre?

Novice

Back