Thread: wester ross goats

wester ross goats

well just in from a 460 mile round trip stalking goats.
    left at 4 this morning and me and gareth headed north, fully tooled with wet weather gear as forecast was not looking great.
    well from when we left for the next 4 and quarter hours it lashed down with rain.
    when we arrived at our destination it stopped briefly.
    we met up with the keeper and had coffee and a chat about what the plan was for the day.
    we sorted our kit out wet weather gear on and of we went for a drive to spy around and see if we could locate some suitable goats.
    after ten min drive we stooped and spied the odd red hind and stags now starting to regroup after the rut.
    any way we spotted a group of goats of mixed ages and sizes, so after a chat about what was suitable to shoot it was my turn first.
    the goats were on the right hand side of a burn and were feeding away with the big billy in amongst them anyway plan was made about which way to stalk in, with that they just got a bit restless and started to move on but luckily they jumped the burn and headed left handed.
    this was a bad move for billy!
    i crawled in to a suitable postion after a little bit of a walk over dead ground and got ready, the billy was walking in the middle of the heard about 150 yard out and he had a kid walking right along side him so had to wait until they separated and he came and stood on a knowel perfect broad side,
    any way flicked the safety of the 30.06 lined up on his chest and squeezed a round of . job done and down he went.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	21432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat2.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	21433
    so after photos and chat we dragged the beast down to an area to collect later.
    now Gareth turn we stalked on and in to another bit of hill, then we spotted another group

Name:	goat herd.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	13.5 KB 
ID:	21435
    so we decided which was to be shot and also told if we had chance which nanny and kid to shoot if we got the chance . so after a bit of a stalk we got in to a good postion and Gareth shot his billy

Name:	gareth goat.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	21436with that the nanny and kid ran into a perfect postion so me and Gareth got sorted on who would shot what i chose the kid and he the nanny now we were told we could take the beast to eat so they were stood about 140 yard and all that presented a shot was the back of the head so i squeezed of on mine and dropped to the shot with that the nanny moved and presented a similar shot for Gareth and bang down went mummy,
    another brace in the bagClick image for larger version. 

Name:	goat kid.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	21437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	goat nanny.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	21438
    so we gralloch them and dragged them back down the hill it was still p*****g down but we were very happy with our mornings work

Name:	goat stalking.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	21439
    so once every thing was done we went back to the keepers house said loaded our gear and goats and trophies and said our good buys and headed home ,
    nearly 5 hours later we arrived back in my yard so all in all after 10 hours driving and crawling about in the wet hills of wester ross we were very happy men!
    roll on next year
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails goat herd 2.jpg  

Fantastic i think next year I will try for goats as well could send me details please

Well done gaj looks like a fine billy!

oh boy did they smell , lol