barrel chop and screwcut close to harlow essex

thesmi

hi,
i picked up a rather long cz452 in 22lr and is just too long for in the truck id like to get it cut down to 14" and screw cut re crowned, but the rfd i use is trying to charge £95 and only do it to 16" due to headstock size so he is a no goer even half this cost is more than enough to charge hmmmn.

any way does any one know of anywhere close to harlow essex who may beable to help? if the works good i have 2 other barrels i also want doing.

cheers
theo

thought you was hiding pierre, i lost all my numbers as little one put my phone in the bath!!!! i got all my conditions off i just moaned that i couldnt get trigger time!! still not used it tho want rid and buy a new one!!!

i shall give joe a buzz

did try rhoding armoury but they wanted £110 bit excessive seeing as its 30mins work

it's not 30mins if you want it done correctly. 30 mins to put in a three jaw, part off and re-crown at 11 degree.

if you want the rifle trued front to back (four jaw plus spider at rear of tube) then clocked, parted, screwcut, crowned and re-blued if neccessary is at least an hours work. it would take me nearly two. plus it should go for proof afterwards. a thread protector afterwards may take 30 mins.

you have to appreciate what you are asking for. would you be happy if it weren't trued and you had bullet strikes in the moderator? or wasn't proofed then failed somehow?

how. much do you charge?
leech and sons is £50 and joes is £75
and pneumatic balistics is £45 BUT wont fit in there laithe when i get some spare time i will get it done

plus it should go for proof afterwards.

Oh for Christs sake not that old bullocks again.

As has been proven in a court of law screw cutting a muzzle does not require a re-proof.

Yes the proof house want it to be so as they want the revenue however it's not what the actual law says.

used Jo at cathill feller he was good and fair and yes Brithunter you are correct ,only work on the presure bearing part needs reproofing some say the barrel is,within this, but the act do's not say so .the only problem would be when you resell it if the other party is abit anal. the only RFD i came across was norman clark who would not do the work unless he sent it to re-proof , you can cut it yourself to min size in law but unless you have access to turning eqippment you will have to pay out some dosh for recrowning and screwcutting to center bore not barrel contour.
14" i would go 16" with 45grain .22 subs .talk to Jo he will put you right
hope this helps
all the best
paul o'

ended up taking to rhoding armoury and is £60 NOT 110 thats the centrefire prices as they like to have them re proofed

ended up taking to rhoding armoury and is £60 NOT 110 thats the centrefire prices as they like to have them re proofed

Just found out Leech and Sons in chelmsford do them for £50. They will apparently do CF for this price as long as you don't want it proofed.

problem with leeches he uses a die and does it buy hand and not to centre of bore, ring him and ask..... he was trying to convince me that i need to use a small sax mod for it to stop it clipping

Any decent engineering workshop with a suitable lathe and good lathe operator can do this. Just cut what you want off the barrel, strip it right down. The barrel may require a clamping yoke to be made up from aluminium for the muzzle so the bore can be centered exactly, while leaving the blueing undamaged. Then the turner/engineer can square off the muzzle, thread it with whatever thread you think appropriate for your mod. I think 1/2" UNF is common. Finally cut a crown after the threading's been done.
Shouldn't take longer than an hour or so. The cost for this?? well as a foreigner via a friend, not much. For someone whose livlihood is made for this kind of work, probably 80 quid plus VAT.

Brithunter is right....no re-proofing is required.
ATB

Last edited:
well rhoding armoury done one my rifles fine, 2nd gun they have proper scratched very very peeeed off. 2 little trolls them guys deserve everthing bad in the new year

to be fair ive had screw cuts and crowns done on air rifles for £15 in the past far superior to this

Back