Choices, Choices.....

8en7am1n

I have a £6K budget for a new rifle (I already have scopes etc.) and would like to get something I could convert between 300 WM (African hunting) and .243 (UK Roe).

I'm thinking along the lines of a Blaser R8 or a Sauer 202.

I already have a Sako finnlight in 6.5x55, a Sako 75 in .308 and an AW in .308

What would you go for? Custom Rifle or a flash off the shelf? Other choices.....

First of all: nice problem.

Second, I think you should go for a Sauer 202 Take-down, so you can switch barrels and easily travel with it. Then you should decide that it's really not for you and sell it to me for a song and a dance, just out of disgust.

I can recomend the Blaser R8 I have one in 6.5x55 and it`s brilliant, light, accurate and compact, being a straight pull cuts down on the OAL
With £6k to spend you can have a few different calibers and saddle mounts just pop your scopes on and Roberts your mothers brother, a gun for all occasions.
They really are a great bit of kit for a factory rifle, I love mine, Give Chris at Swillington Shooting supplies a bell 01132 864097 , he does great deals on Blasers and accesories

Bob

Klunk

They look very nice, do you have one ?? or any first hand experience with them ?? ( asks he drooling looking at it ) Just like a chinese meal ,you think you`ve got just what you want until you see what the bloke on the next tables ordered

Bob

go for a 6 grand hunting holiday, you don't need something between the cals you have, that and you don't know what's round the corner tomorrow

go for a 6 grand hunting holiday, you don't need something between the cals you have, that and you don't know what's round the corner tomorrow

There is merit in that view.

I would flog the two Sako's and get a Blaser with 243, 6.5x55 and 300wm barrels, this will do the lot. In fact, I could live without the 243.

Africa Hunting holiday is booked and paid for, for my 40th plus some Reds in Scotland and some Boar in CZ. So I want to treat myself to something posh.

I'm thinking about a 300WM for Africa then change it back to something more UK suitable. The Makuru seems to be R93 based so I would favour the R8.

Do people really cock about changing barrels etc. or am I deluding myself?

I have a £6K budget for a new rifle (I already have scopes etc.) and would like to get something I could convert between 300 WM (African hunting) and .243 (UK Roe).

I'm thinking along the lines of a Blaser R8 or a Sauer 202.

I already have a Sako finnlight in 6.5x55, a Sako 75 in .308 and an AW in .308

What would you go for? Custom Rifle or a flash off the shelf? Other choices.....

I have owned both the Sauer 202 and the Blaser R8, here is my opinion.

The Sauer is a more beautiful classical rifle, it really ticks my boxes in the looks department. But it is not really a swap barrel system, for that you need to be looking at the take down.

The Blaser, takes a while to get used to but once you do it all makes sense. It is the best of the swap barrel systems in my opinion because the scope mounts directly on the barrel. That said they are not highly recommended for Africa (sand and the action don't mix)

I ended up selling my Sauer as it had some lovely wood on it that was getting heavily damaged with the work load my rifle sees. I am now currently looking at buying another one and having the Sauer as my personal rifle and the Blaser as a client rifle.

If you go with the Sauer 202 take down I dont think you will be complaining.

Do people really cock about changing barrels etc. or am I deluding myself?

Changing barrels on an R8 takes what... 30 seconds :D

The point is you can take your Blaser in a compact case (Pelli Storm iM 3100 would be a good choice) and get your rifle plus spare 2nd barrel in there too... My R8 travels broken down and is re-assembled at my stalking ground.. much better than taking a full length rifle.

With this method you have 1 action to get used to, compact kit for transportation and the ability to carry multiple calibres with you with minimal bulk or weight...

The only possible downside is, what if the action fails on your safari then you do not have a spare but come on... be honest... would you take 2 rifles with you to Africa anyway? unlikely... with the R8 you can do just that as it doesn't make diddly squat difference to the number of bags you have to carry!

I have the R8 pro in 6.5x55 and a slot on my ticket for a .300WM barrel... just waiting for available funds! :D with your budget you could get some really nice wood!

Last edited:
eggy s - Looking at the 202 reviews online there seems to be some question over accuracy. With home loads and experimentation can you get sub MOA groups?

Vipa - Do people really use the functionality of multiple barrels or does the rifle tend to sit around in the same calibre? I can see myself changing it for a specific holiday, but am I better off for example getting a 202 or other rifle for Africa and sticking to the 6.5 for uk deer?

Vipa - Do people really use the functionality of multiple barrels or does the rifle tend to sit around in the same calibre? I can see myself changing it for a specific holiday, but am I better off for example getting a 202 or other rifle for Africa and sticking to the 6.5 for uk deer?

yep.. got that just after I posted it, thought cock was a typo :lol: took me a few reads to get your meaning... I'm slow sometimes! so have been busy editing the post.. hope that answers your question from in my opinion?

I'd sell them all and book an appointment with Westley Richards to build me a switch barrel rifle setup with .257 Roberts, 30-06Springfield and .375Ruger om a nice controlled-round feed action and top end walnut stock, some nice blacking and some personalisation that's meaningful to you.

personally I could live happily with that..

should be doable if you sell all the other 'stuff',,,and chip in a few more quid maybe ;)

PKL - The Westley Richards bolt guns start at £46,500 before customisation and extras. Don't think I would get away telling the wife it cost £1K like all the rest of my guns :D

Back