Muzzle Flip

Craggan

ok folks,

I appreciate this have probably been done to death but here goes.

I am shooting the Tikka T3 Hunter in .270Win; I like the round and can group well with rifle, i dont suffer from recoil but i have noticed the muzzle flip alot more since some other canditates on my DSC 1 commented on it. I currently use a ASE Northstar on the rifle, i does a good job with noise reduction but the muzzle flip is suprising considering it is a hefty mod.

Any advice

Craggan

I wouldnt let muzzle flip bother you, unless you are concerned about not seeing the bullet strike.
If you are shooting off a bench try steadying the rifle by holding the scope with your left hand, ie put pressure onto the top. it will reduce the flip.
Failing that maybe reduced loads, but as you said recoil is not a problem so why bother.
sinbad

You know when your hold & technique is right when after flipping up the crosshairs drop back right onto your target.

Ian

I think however experienced you are, some rifle set-ups in certain calibres will not naturally come back to point of aim. Apart from the caliber, the type of stock, its fit and barrel length all play a part.

Moderator can help but not all mods redirect the gasses enough to counteract the recoil. T8s are probably best for this but personally I don't like them.

If you can group well then I wouldn't worry about it. Just get out and build up your confidence by knocking more deer over with it.

I used an unmoderated .270 when I started stalking and it was never a good idea spending too much time on the range with it. You are likely to end up with a flinch. Like you I could shoot fine with it and out in the field I rarely noticed the recoil or muzzle flip as I was focused on the job in hand. If you feel you need practice on the range then you can always use a rimfire or even an air-rifle instead.

Generally a heavier scope or higher mounted scope, light weight stock and/or high positioned recoil pad are factors that reduce muzzleflip.
edi

when i used a mod on my 270 i found a pez t12 was exellent at controlling the sound and muzzleflip very well i dont use a mod now with my stutzen and i can see the bullet strike no problem but i have adapted my shooting style to suite ,hope this helps ,wayne.

Some interesting repsonses, thanks guys, though humfing a brick around ... hmmm must try harder!!!

Tackleberry270, i think your right in what you say, concentrate with the job in hand and keep knocking over deer with it.

Regards

Craggan

it wasnt a problem until someone pointed it out, if the gun shoots straight then there is no problem as far as i can see. I lose sight picture on my 243 with 70grainers with a ASE UTRA S5 on the end but I cradle my rifle forend or just rest it on sticks, never been an issue.........until now;)

Isnt the ASE Northstar a Brick, if that doesnt stop M/F nothing will.

I have a Northstar hate it, it spoils my 202. Like towing a caravan with a Porsche.

270 shooters dont need to see bullet strike
they just look to see where the carcase landed where it once stood!

Gents, found that the recoil lug had come out of the Tikka Stock, so I have replaced the stock with a Bell & Carlson stock (as seen in my profile pic), switch scope from the S&B 8x56 to a Zeiss 6x42, even changed from Federal SP to the 130g RWS T Mantles. Its such a difference far more pleasant to shoot, groups are thumb nail size and muzzle flip non existent, cheers for all the advice that had come in,

Gents, found that the recoil lug had come out of the Tikka Stock, so I have replaced the stock with a Bell & Carlson stock (as seen in my profile pic), switch scope from the S&B 8x56 to a Zeiss 6x42, even changed from Federal SP to the 130g RWS T Mantles. Its such a difference far more pleasant to shoot, groups are thumb nail size and muzzle flip non existent, cheers for all the advice that had come in,

Thanks for coming back to us with an update. Like many issues it didn't get sorted out overnight. Well done for persisting and getting to the bottom of the problem. Best regards JCS

You can do a lot to control muzzle flip by getting stock fit right. You can never get rid of it but it can be reduced. If you have a high mounted scope try building the stock up so your face is well down on it. To stop the rifle torquing as you fire it. Essentially the flip comes about as a result of torque forces because the line of recoil is above the line of the contact of the stock in your shoulder. That's why low action shotguns flip less than those with a deep action.

Back