Buying a shotgun post

DanGriff

Last year I bought a fac air rifle off a private seller, he packaged it up and my local rfd arranged the collection by courier and I picked it up from him and he put it on my ticket.

I am now in a position where I would like to purchase a shotgun and now know somebody that is a collector and is a rfd. Could the private seller send the shotgun to him by courier for him to put on my ticket.

The reason I am asking is because I was talking about what I did with the fac rifle and have been told by someone else that only another rfd can send a firearm to another rfd.

there was an rfd courier but i dont know if there still on the go i used them and it was a great service but that was a while back now i will try and find it in my links,atb wayne

The courier he sent to collect it was TNT I think, so could the person selling the shotgun arrange TNT to collect it and deliver it to my rfd.

RFD to RFD or face to face. The very sad thing is is have you met some of the "drivers" who carry our rifles/ shotguns and ammunition though TNT, monkeys doesn't do them justice!

Ok a RFD can book a third party collection from an individual of a gun by an authorised carrier such as TNT, a private individual can not much of this is due to the fact that the carriers won't accept bookings for the carriage of firearms without the person holding an account and being a RFD. The online people RFDnet who have ceased trading tried to set up a business carrying firearms using third party collections and delivering to the persons nearest RFD that was pushing the law a little and also the amount of trade to keep it going as a business simply isn't there.
Your best option is to use the RFD you used last time unless your collector friend sets up a TNT account

Ok a RFD can book a third party collection from an individual of a gun by an authorised carrier such as TNT, a private individual can not much of this is due to the fact that the carriers won't accept bookings for the carriage of firearms without the person holding an account and being a RFD. The online people RFDnet who have ceased trading tried to set up a business carrying firearms using third party collections and delivering to the persons nearest RFD that was pushing the law a little and also the amount of trade to keep it going as a business simply isn't there.
Your best option is to use the RFD you used last time unless your collector friend sets up a TNT account

that was who i was trying to think of ,rfd.net i used them a couple of times and had exellent service shame that, atb wayne

I'm assuming here that the air rifle wasn't FAC Air, but I thought the rules about dealing face-to-face with an RFD applied to a new air rifle only, and that any over 18 private seller, as long as they have established the buyer is also over 18, can post second-hand rifles direct to the buyer.

Obviously if it was an FAC Air then the RFDs have to get involved both ends of the journey.

Ok a RFD can book a third party collection from an individual of a gun by an authorised carrier such as TNT.

I was advised that could be done when I had a problem with a gun I had bought from Yorkshire via GT.

I'm assuming here that the air rifle wasn't FAC Air, but I thought the rules about dealing face-to-face with an RFD applied to a new air rifle only, and that any over 18 private seller, as long as they have established the buyer is also over 18, can post second-hand rifles direct to the buyer.

Obviously if it was an FAC Air then the RFDs have to get involved both ends of the journey.

Yes, it was a fac air rifle, a BTAS regulated air arms 410 running at 28lbs. The rfd my end arranged for it to be collected from the private seller and transferred it onto my ticket without getting an rfd involved at the sellers end.
This is why I am asking if the seller could arrange a courier to send a shotgun to the rfd at this end again without a rfd involved at his end, I can't see what differance it makes who organises the courier as long as they will carry firearms.
There is a courier, it may even be TNT with a depot in Middlesbrough where you can go and post a firearm without having an account but you have to do it over the counter at the depot, they won't collect it from you unless you have an account.

I'd have thought if an RFD had already arranged similar with a Firearm, then the RFD could also manage the same with a Shotgun, but you'd need to speak to the RFD.

If the gun is going from RFD to a local RFD to the buyer then as per certificate instructions the buyer must first send his SGC to the selling RFD who completes the certificate entry as if the buyer were in front if him, he then sends the SGC back to the owner and then sends the shotgun to the RFD local to the buyer for the buyer to colelct in person due to teh "face to face" aspect within Section 32 of the 1997 Act.

Then the buyer walks into the RFD to collect the gun already shown on his SGC.

Strange but law

Back