Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My lucky dog.... mutts & barbed wire don't mix.

My lucky dog.... mutts & barbed wire don't mix.

Whilst out pheasant shooting on Saturday, I shot a bird that flopped over a ridge in the grass field alongside the one I was walking up. My dog set off like a rocket, sensing a runner, and she cleared the sheepnetting fence with ease, and shortly after reappeared with my bird, and jumped the fence on her way back. Seemed a drama-free retrieve. Job done.

.....unfortunately I've just returned from the vet after parting with a lump of cash to have a wound on her inner thigh stitched up. The fence wasn't just sheepnetting, it had strand of barbed on the top that wasn't visible initially as it had sagged to the level of the top of the sheepnetting, and Brock (my dog) had snagged herself on it, perhaps having her vision obscured by the bird in her mouth as she returned.

It wasn't a 'leg hanging off' gaping wound, but it was deep, and awkwardly placed, being near the top of her inner left thigh - stitches required.

Why is she lucky? A bit deeper and it could have punctured her femoral artery, and that wouldn't have been good news.....

(....and before anyone starts throwing rocks, my routine is to sit her on approaching a fance/wall/whatever, cover the top with my game bag, and assist her to avoid any legs getting stuck, etc unless it is a lowish obstacle, as she's a fair sized dog and a very good jumper; in this instance, the fence was low enough to appear not to be any cause for concern).

Cautionary tale: my dog is fine, I'm a bit poorer - but it could have been a whole lot different. Be careful with your dogs chaps!
    Attachment 21693
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

Glad she's fine mate, could have been a nightmare, many years ago i had to shoot a friends lab after it removed its
    penis and testicles on barbed wire , i always cover the wire now. Atb

Better having an empty wallet rather than an empty kennel merlin.
    Hope she is back working soon.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I don't begrudge the cost at all. I'm just happy she's OK.

She's asleep at my feet as I type, gentle exercise for the next few weeks to make sure everything is fully healed..... I won't be out again for a while, so plenty of time to get her back to fitness.
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.

You're right when you say it could of been worse,here's my Whippet.........

I hate barbed wire

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I hate barbed wire
    +1, Dangerous to dogs and horses, ruins expensive outdoor clothing, especially the rusty, broken and grown in stuff that only becomes apparent after the damage has been done. atb Tim

Very lucky mate, glad your dogs ok.

My Cocker stopped on top of a single-strand barbed wire fence, all four feet on it, swaying slightly. It was a heart in the mouth moment

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I hate barbed wire
    I thought people had a duty of care on their premises, so unless the barbed wire is really necessary and visible, it wasn't allowed?

are you living in the same world that i am longbow

our dogs are no longer taught to jump fences i have seen too many dogs hung up over the years and not just on bw , ours will sit and wait ,now it can be a bit of a pain at times but it's better than stitching them back together or worse
    a barony original