double rifles

User00014

evening all .

can any one point me in the right direction for a reasonably priced over under / ss rifle , ive been scouring the net but not much joy , a poke in the right direction would be grand !! :)

cheers lee

Any good? all sxs/ou/breakbarrel
Guntrader

Rossi .243 23" (R/H) £190 (New) South Wales
Rossi Heavy Barrel .223 (R/H) £275 (S/H) Buckinghamshire
Cogswell & Harrison Hammerless rook rifle .297/250 26" (R/H) £1350 (S/H) Northamptonshire
Bettinsoli Express E. L 9.3x74R 22" (R/H) £1395 (New) Oxfordshire
Bonehill, C. G. Rook & Rabbit hammerless .297/300 28" (R/H) £1600 (S/H) Northamptonshire
Sabatti Doudble Rifle 6.5x55 23.5" (R/H) £1750 (S/H) Worcestershire
Fabarm Asper Express Rifle 9.3x74R 22" (R/H) £2100 (New) Worcestershire
Foerster 8x57 (R/H) £2200 (S/H) Somerset
Blaser S2 LUXUS .30R Blaser 23.25" (R/H) £3250 (S/H) Somerset
Krieghoff HUBERTUS .30-06 23.5" (R/H) £3600 (S/H) Somerset
Beretta 689 GOLD SABLE 9.3x74R 24" (R/H) £3600 (S/H) Somerset
Browning HERSTAL 9.3x74R 24" (R/H) £4200 (S/H) Somerset
Browning CCS25 B25 9.3x74R 24" (R/H) £6250 (S/H) Hertfordshire
Browning CCS 25 with 20G shotgun barrels 8mm x 57 JS 26.5" (R/H) £6500 (S/H) Northamptonshire
Westley Richards Boxlock Non Ejector .476 Nitro 26" (R/H) £8750 (S/H) Oxfordshire
Blaser Mohammed Double Rifle 9.3x62 (R/H) £21495 (S/H) Essex
Churchill, E. J. Africa Boxlock Ejector .470 Nitro Express 22.5" (R/H) £28950 (New) Oxfordshire

Hi A J Brown of Carlise has a very nice as new Franchi double O/U rifle in 30-06 in stock, I think it is £1600. the Walnut stock has superb figuring.

ATB

Tahr

cheers for the advice ! just fancied something different than the usual b/a , of which i already have with my tikka t3 6.5x55 se , any body know how they handle ? any different than a b/a ?

cheers

lee

They're heavy, man! :eek:

Put my posh socks on some time ago and managed to get my hands on a Heym. Phew! What a beauty, but talk about heavy. Be prepared for +10lbs even before the optics go on.

You might have a problem finding a suitable suppressor. :lol: :lol: :lol:

well Ive been looking at the Baikal range of over / under rifles in 30-06 from york guns , they seem reasonably priced and quite nice looking as far as baikal's go !
if there anything like the shot guns you will be able to use them all day and then use the stock to dig the hole for the gralloch with out damaging ! :lol:
i think ill give one a go and see how i get on with it !
any suggestions on optics sizes ? i was thinking along the lines of 6x42 S&B thinking 8x56 being a little big !

cheers lee 8)

your right , just had a look at the artemida does look ! im off to get some prices tomorrow , will keep you posted !

cheers
lee

your right , just had a look at the artemida does look ! im off to get some prices tomorrow , will keep you posted !

cheers
lee

My first ever stalking rifle purchased in 1961 was a o/u 7X65R hammerless ejector made by Geyger of Berlin.
It was built on a boxlock Merkel action with Krupp special steel barrels and topped
P1010163.jpg
by a Zeiss 6X42 steel scope.
I shot 5 species of Deer here [no C.W.D.] with it and a Chamois in the Austrian Alps in 1968.
With my re-loads the top barrel shot 3 inches above the 100yd Zero of the bottom barrel making it versatile for mountain Reds when sometimes a 200yd shot was required.
A useful tool but for serious shooting and re-loading a good bolt-action rifle cannot be improved upon.

HWH.

WOW stag1933 !!! that's a wonderful insight into these rifles , i already have a 6.5 bolt action which does 99% 0f the donkey work of my stalking , and the o/u is pretty much for stalking lowland reds and fallow , Ive been thinking about this option for quite some time and i like the idea of something new and different , with my 6.5 I'm so used to it all i do is point and squirt , so I'm looking forward to the challenge !

cheers lee

Lee

Now, hang on just a second! :)

How about another option for the discerning stalker to consider?

Imagine walking the woods, holding in the one hand a 7x57r for the Deer and Pigs, a .22 for small game and vermin - oh, and a 16 gauge shotgun for anything that flys, flutters or hops.

Sauer.jpg

The whole lot weighs 7lbs and includes a qd scope that returns to within 1/2" of zero at 100yds. Handles like a shotgun, coming to the shoulder with sights perfectly alighed. Set trigger offers a break of 1lb allowing easy precision shooting if required.

Such a beast is my Drilling by Sauer - easily obtainable in Germany via www.egun.de and then forwarded to your gunsmith - it is entered on your FAC as a combination rifle/shotgun.

IMG_2488.jpg

Believe me, I am now a convert and the fact that my shooting kit folds down into a 26" slip just makes it more convenient for transport and storage.

Could this be what you are looking for? :)

Rgds Ian

wow ian
, now things are getting intersting, i never considered this option ! how did you go about finding ebay for gun lovers !!! :lol:

there is definatly more to this than meets the eye .

cheers lee

Here ya go!

http://66.196.80.202/babelfish/tran...66&PHPSESSID=7a8185948500e1cfeb6415e585904238

The link is a bit of a mouthful, the translation is pretty tough to understand - but it doesn't take much for a gun lover to start to add the pics to the description and work out what is on offer!

'Putting in run' = Insert barrel
'Triplet' = Drilling ( three barrels - normally rifle and two shot barrels)

If you need a hand with the translations, give me a pm.

www.xe.com will calculate the damage!

Rgds Ian :)

leec6.5, when you hunt with a double rifle, drilling or combi you join a exclusive group of hunters with style, class and are bloody good looking to boot ;)
Roe.jpg

Lee

Every thing that Jagare says is correct!

Which is strange, because you would not expect such a group of ethical stylish individuals to also be so modest! ;)

The combination is another option you might consider. Single rifle barrel under or over a shotgun barrel. Same benefits of compact dimensions and versatility - somewhat cheaper.

Disadvantage that is common to both Drilling or Combination ( BBF in German - Bochbuchsflinte ), if you fire more than four or five rounds without allowing the barrel to cool, the group will start to open up. The reality is that it is not a problem in normal usage.

This one is a BRNO 502 - there are still a few around and look quite nice as well as handling nicely.

IMG_2479DesktopResolution.jpg

The joy of either Drilling or Combi is that you still have the option of firing a slug in the shot barrel should you wish a fast handling double for driven big game. In my Sauer the left barrel is regulated to the rifle sights at 50m

IMG_2484DesktopResolution.jpg

You will find that the 'magic' comes back as soon as you enter a wood with an iron sighted combination. The sights are perfectly adequate for short range shooting in good light - the scope clicks back into place as soon as there is a need for a longer range capability. All of this comes together, the day you return home with a couple Rabbits, a brace of Pigeon and a Deer to show for your morning's excursion.

There is no feeling quite like it! :)

Rgds Ian

im so looking forward to getting my double rifle , ive decided to go with the baikal option , still waiting for a price but t they are reasonably priced and well built !!
so we will see how things go . :D

thanks for all the advice , i cant wait for the excitement for my first outing .

rgds
lee

IanF and Jagare.

No doubt you gentlemen are conversant with the genius of Flanders And Swan who sang -

"The English are clever and honest and good,
The English are modest and misunderstood."

Tee hee!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Lee, is it to be the Artemida? Awfully tempting, isn't it!

That does look rather nice!

You are going to have to let us know how it groups and handles. Are you going for the 30 '06?

Rgds Ian :)

Back