Pulsar 550 alternatives/suggestions.......?

Sprocker101

Hi all,

Thinking off getting a used n550 should be around £750 ish..... But I was wondering are there any possible nv alternatives out there worth a look, used or otherwise in the same sort of £££££ region...?

Cheers

Hi all,

Thinking off getting a used n550 should be around £750 ish..... But I was wondering are there any possible nv alternatives out there worth a look, used or otherwise in the same sort of £££££ region...?

Cheers

Which part of Devon are you in? I can show you some NV kit (don't have a 550 though) if you'd like to see what more bucks would buy you. The next step up from a 550 would probably be a s/h Envis (expect to pay £1400-ish), and after that a s/h PVS-14 (expect to pay £2200-ish).

Which part of Devon are you in? I can show you some NV kit (don't have a 550 though) if you'd like to see what more bucks would buy you. The next step up from a 550 would probably be a s/h Envis (expect to pay £1400-ish), and after that a s/h PVS-14 (expect to pay £2200-ish).

Where do you buy these bits of kit?

I've been looking at Envis kit on Nordatlantic USA website. Impressive looking stuff. Why haven't we heard more about this gear and where can we find out more?

I've been looking at Envis kit on Nordatlantic USA website. Impressive looking stuff. Why haven't we heard more about this gear and where can we find out more?

You aren't allowed to export it from the USA, so it's very hard to get hold of over here.

pity you cant make it up to see paddy i do a bit in the gun shop at chawleigh and his name comes up whenever nv is mentioned , i actually mounted a very nice set up he sourced on friday !

Paddy, do you know of the l5a1 military scopes? What they are worth and could you fit a doubler, if you were so inclined?

Cheers again!!

Paddy, do you know of the l5a1 military scopes? What they are worth and could you fit a doubler, if you were so inclined?

Cheers again!!

I don't have any experience with the L5A1, but that aside, it's still a fossil in NV terms. To be honest, I'd only buy one if it was really cheap, and even then it would only be as a curiosity. Believe me, I've been right down this road. You really do only get what you pay for. I started out by buying some cheap stuff, then realised it was only any use as a doorstop. My advice would be that if your budget is limited, buy a Nightmaster 800 torch and mount it on your rifle, then get the best NV spotter you can afford. Use that to find your fox, then slot it using the rifle/torch combo.

I had a Pulsar N550 with the Dr Bobs doubler, (glued in place with Araldite as the set screw system is sh*t) with a decent laser and not the rubbish IR it was a great piece of kit which is affordable for most. I only had it mounted on a 17hmr but i have no doubt it would have been very effective on a centerfire out to around 250 yards. I shot 8 foxes one night with this set up and had countless nights where i shot a good number of rabbits.

Back