Berger VLD Hunting bullets 6.5 x 55

Cascade

I`ve been useing the Berger 130grn Hunting VLD`s in my 6.5 x 55 on Roe and Muntjac to good effect

Has anybody used them on Sika?

I will say at this point that I would normally use 140grn Sierra Game Kings for Sika but just wondered if anyone had tried the Berger 130`s on them and if so, how did they perform ?

Bob

Hi .25-06, thanks for your reply

There`s a lot of info on that blokes site, Interesting !!!

He seems to have done a bit of work/ research with the Swede and come to the conclusion that he don`t like it, or the Berger VLD`s for long range shots 250 yds plus.

I fully respect the mans opinion but, I don`t shoot deer at ranges much more than 200yds, most, if I`m honest are between 30yds to 120/150yds.

So, I`m thinking that the 6.5 x 55 doing approx 2800ftps useing the 130grn VLD`s should in theory give exactly what I need to be confident to use them on Sika, ie, good penetration with adequate expansion, good fragmentation causing maximum internal damage, resulting in a good clean kill and, in an ideal world a nice exit for a blood trail cos we all know what Sika are like

I`m not sure that I want to go down the road of anealing all of my bullets or cutting them back 70 thou

Below is part of Nathan Fosters closing comments on the Berger VLD`s for the 6.5 x 55

Berger produce two long range hunting bullets, the 130 grain VLD (BC .552) and 140 grain VLD (BC .612). Between the velocities of 2400fps and 2000fps the VLD projectiles produce huge wound channels on light bodied game due to the fully annealed, fragile jacket materials. On larger bodied medium game, light weight small bore VLD bullets can sometimes fail to produce both deep and broad wounding. To some extent, the Amax is better in this regard as it shears into large fragments rather than small particles. The 6.5 VLD projectiles are certainly excellent performers but as is the nature of the 6.5, bullet weight and construction must matched to the job at hand.

Bob

Last edited:
I've been shooting the 130 VLD hunting bullet in my Ruger #1B 264 WIN MAG , best 3 shot group at 100 yards I shot so far was right at 4/10ths of an inch .

A friend is using the 155 VLD in his 300 WIN MAG and I watched him shoot a 3 shot at 100 that was about a 1/4 of an inch . I took his rifle and put two in the exact same hole maybe .05 over actual bullet diameter then I got nervouse and pulled the third about a 1/2 inch .

I have a buddy in Wyoming that has a Remington 700 with a 30" Krieger 1-8 barrel thats chambered in 260 REM and he shoots the 130 VLD hunting bullet . Killed two antelope so far this season one at about 450 yards and the other at 600+ yards . Both were one shot killes and neither animal went more then 30 yards after the shot .

I use the 130 vld in my 6.5x55.
I only shot 1 sika stag with them and he only went about 20 yards before dropping dead.
I shot a good few reds and fallow with them with excellent results.

Question - If VLD bullets don't expand properly on light bodied beasts at medium to long range why bother using them for hunting at all?
At short range a very high ballistic coefficient is of no benefit in real terms. At medium to long range these bullets are allegedly not ideal because they don't expand properly at slow impact speed. - Self defeating IMHO.
Surely it makes more sense to shoot a bullet that does the right job at the range you will be using it at. And still be effective if you ever need to take a longer shot say for stopping a runner. A normal soft point bullet will do that.

I say bring back round nose soft points that expand well at both the fastest & slowest speeds. - eg. I'm talking about the Speer 105 grn RN that we used to use to super effect in 243. Sadly it's no longer available.

Ian

Sorry for a bit of a hijack to the OP.---- I'll put my soap box away for this evening.

I believe that Nathan Foster is refering to the VLD match bullet whereas there is also a VLD hunting design, I am guessing that they will be constructed differently. I think Nathan prefers teh Match type bullets for extreme long ranges due to their soft nature and high likely hood of expansion even at low (extended range) velocities. He is certainly a fan of the A Max for the same reasons.

So I think you need t know what type of VLD you have and bear in mind that the target type is likely to blow up at closer ranges especially on a larger framed animal like a sika...

I believe that Nathan Foster is refering to the VLD match bullet whereas there is also a VLD hunting design, I am guessing that they will be constructed differently. I think Nathan prefers teh Match type bullets for extreme long ranges due to their soft nature and high likely hood of expansion even at low (extended range) velocities. He is certainly a fan of the A Max for the same reasons.

So I think you need t know what type of VLD you have and bear in mind that the target type is likely to blow up at closer ranges especially on a larger framed animal like a sika...

I have both the VLD "Match Hunting" and the "Match Target" bullets in the 130's and the only visible difference I can see is maybe a bit more depth to the expamsion serrations on the ogive .

There's a TV show here in the USA called "Brush Country Monsters" and the two big advertisers are "McWhorten Rifles" and Berger bullets . Anyway during their informative part of the show one time they did a thing on expansion of the Berger VLD's . They "claimed" the VLD's would have acceptable expansion on deer sized targets from 50 yards to a thousand yards . Now granted thats a big claim to make .

As of yet I cannot personally make any claims to the ability of the bullets other then telling you what my buddy in Wyoming did with his 260 on Pronghorn Antelope at 400 and 600+ yards . Now a Pronghorn is about 100 pounds live weight on the hoof for a decent sized male . And the 260 REM is for all intents and purposes the same thing as a 6.5x55 ( I have both cartridges in rifles I own at the moment).

I typically do not question what Nosler , Hornady , Barnes or Berger claim about their bullets . I have nothing against Sierra or Speer for that matter I just don't use their products as much .

The Berger Target VLD have a thicker Jacket than the Hunting VLD. They were finding in some instances with fast twist and high velocity Target Rifles that sometimes the Bullets would 'blow up' on way to target. According to an e-mail from Walt Berger the only Bullet they did not alter was the 115 Grain 25cal. He also said 1700fps was the minimum imact velocity to assure expansion of the thinner jacketed VLD Hunting Bullet.
Sorry Bob if this is a bit off Topic.

Yorkie.

Tom D,

I think if you look at the quote from Nathan Foster he is refering to the 130grn -140grn Hunting VLD`s

I know what type of VLD`s I`m using they are the 130grn HUNTING VLD`s as stated in initial post

I`ve never used the target VLD`s and, would never even consider using a bullet designed for target shooting on any species of deer ( A-Max being the one exeption )

So to ask the question again ... Has anyone used these Berger 130grn Hunting VLD`s on Sika ???

" I`m thinking that the 6.5 x 55 doing approx 2800ftps useing the 130grn Hunting VLD`s should in theory ( not always the case in practice I know ) give exactly what I`m looking for to be confident to use them on Sika, ie, good penetration with adequate expansion, good fragmentation causing maximum internal damage, resulting in a good clean kill and, in an ideal world a nice exit for a blood trail cos we all know what Sika are like

Any doubts and I`ll stick to Sierra Game Kings

Am I right ....or ... Am I wrong?

Being a tight fisted Yorkshire man I thought a "Three Musketeers Bullet" would be a good idea

Bob

I believe that Nathan Foster is refering to the VLD match bullet whereas there is also a VLD hunting design, I am guessing that they will be constructed differently. I think Nathan prefers teh Match type bullets for extreme long ranges due to their soft nature and high likely hood of expansion even at low (extended range) velocities.
H
He is certainly a fan of the A Max for the same reasons.
I can agree here but expect a sh**storm around this particular point!:cool:

I think bobg is right, with the 6.5 I think he is referring to the hunting type, I'm sure I have seen elsewhere on his site that he likes the match type in other calibers.

RE Amax, their soft nature probably makes sense at extreme range / low velocity. less so at normal stalking ranges...

Not meaning to go off piste, but have you thought of Hornady 140gr SSTs?

I use these on everything that the UK has to offer...

Cheers
iain

I am shooting them in a pair of Husqvarna 96 Mausers I have in 6.5x55 . My handloads look good on paper but am sad to say I've not tried them on living beings yet . I also tried the same bullet in a 6.5 Arisaka with not as good accuracy .The Arisaka seems to prefer the lighter 129 SST .

I have however killed a few deer with the 129 SST in both a 6.5-06 and a 264 WIN MAG .

I am shooting them in a pair of Husqvarna 96 Mausers I have in 6.5x55 . My handloads look good on paper but am sad to say I've not tried them on living beings yet . I also tried the same bullet in a 6.5 Arisaka with not as good accuracy .The Arisaka seems to prefer the lighter 129 SST .

I have however killed a few deer with the 129 SST in both a 6.5-06 and a 264 WIN MAG .

I have a UK company that reloads my brass for me (sounds lazy, but I have 3 young children and MrsF would go nuts if I spent time in the shed "playing with bullets"...!!!

46.7grains of N160 pushes these out at 2,660fps and I can group 5 rounds sub 1/2". They have measured these specific to my rifle, and have the bullet hanging WAY out the end of the brass to ensure that the jump to the rifling is as little as possible.

It's all personal choice of course, and if you are grouping rounds on live quarry, then there's something very wrong, but out of a cold barrel I'm very happy with these.

I think bobg is right, with the 6.5 I think he is referring to the hunting type, I'm sure I have seen elsewhere on his site that he likes the match type in other calibers.

RE Amax, their soft nature probably makes sense at extreme range / low velocity. less so at normal stalking ranges...
Tom, used em' at all ranges, an optimum bullet in 7mm WSM.

My only concern at the moment is with the 6.5 x 55 Swede using a 130grn Berger Hunting VLD bullet ...............

Are they OK for Sika :banghead:

Bob

My only concern at the moment is with the 6.5 x 55 Swede using a 130grn Berger Hunting VLD bullet ...............

Are they OK for Sika :banghead:

Bob

In this part of the world a Sika deer is 125 pounds for a nice stag . I "assume" your Sika are a bit larger although certainly not over 175 pounds .

From what I've seen as far as their use on Pronghorn I SEE NO REASON they wouldn't be okay for a Sika deer . A deer is a deer be it Fallow , Sika , Axis , Whitetail or Mule Deer as long as they're in the same weight range . If a bullet will wallop a 165 pound Whitetail it'll certainly do the same for a 165 pound Sika or Fallow or or or ...................

Back