Its finally here!...

Gez

Thanks to the friendly people at Northumbria firearms licensing and mr Postman my FAC and SGC finally dropped through my letterbox yesterday morning. :D

All 3 calibres I asked for (.22lr .243 and .308/7.62), and as expected a 'closed' cert, but no other conditions such as mentor or DSC1 which is good.

A couple of small points which I am going to raise are that fox is not listed as quarry for the .243 which was requested (not sure if this was an oversight or for a reason) and only 100 rounds to buy for the .308 (apparently reduced in line with the ACPO guidelines). I'll be using the .308 on the range a fair bit, so just going to make sure I get all rounds purchased entered onto the FAC (along with the ones I buy at the range) and hoefully this will let them see the need for more and increase the number next time it goes in. I also plan to (eventually) start reloading once I'm used to the rifle and so being allowed to possess more rounds would be preferable.

It took a long time to get here - 7 and a bit weeks since the FLO visit (and that was about 4 or 5 weeks after application) but I know that they have had a backlog and I can't blame them for doing their job thoroughly.

I picked up my first rifle yesterday - A Steyr Pro Hunter MKII in .308 with a S&B 8x56 and T8 mod. After a thorough clean, I took her down the range this morning sighted her in and shot a 1" group at 100m (1 1/2 inches high) which I thought was pretty perfect (especially given my abilities)... until I discovered a loose rear scope mount, which after tightening threw the zero out, so only got half way through the process again before we ran out of time.

I had been warned off the pro hunter because of issues with the flexibility of the stock, but after speaking to quite a few current and previous owners and a couple of gunshops, I decided that worst case scenario I can get the action bedded and stock stiffened at the same time which shouldn't set me back too much, but will leave me with a beautiful looking and feeling gun.

I may end up eating my words, but having looked at a LOT of other rifles before settling back on the Steyr, I'm couldn't be happier with it so far.

Gez (Who has looked like this -> :D all weekend... except a bit more sunburned!)

basil said:
No stopping you now then Gez.
I have a Steyr Pro Hunter Mk 2 in 243, i`m well chuffed with it.
basil.

Ah yes, I remember looking on extremely enviously when you posted pictures of you're new set-up... now all I need is the Z6i to stick on top of it!

EMcC - They gave me buy 500 hold 600 for the other 2, but reduced the number of .308 :evil:

Gez

Hello Gez

Congratulations you are all set up now.

Give it about 6 months then ask them to increase your round purchase restriction.

Good luck

Steve.

my ammo is 6.5x55 hold 220 buy 200
30-06 hold 120 buy 100
.22 lr hold 1000 buy 800
.32 hold 150 buy 100

they told me i could have what i liked , but i do shoot alot of deer !

rgds

lee

Tickets

Good work Gez & good luck, the old PH2 will be fine I had one for years, just dont press the quick release button on the bolt in the dark like I did one morning-its not a good idea!

I think can hold:

200rds 30/06
200rds 243
200rds 270 wsm
500 .22lr
100 .32

Over all I only get low from time to time on the 243 which is the daily workhorse.

I think they let me purchase 100 of any at one time, but to be honest once the licensing office get to know you better I am sure they would increase the allowance.

Best of luck

Lee

Mine is buy 40 hold 60. They wouldn't budge on it.
Dave[/quote]
Yep! Same here![/quote]

Blimey that is unthinkable.
How do you get on when you want different bullet weights for different quarry or if you want to stick to a certain batch that suits your rifle or if you reload - ah that may be the difference, the bullets come in boxes of 100 so it only needs a couple of different bullet weights and that would bump the numbers up.
But 40 to buy and hold 60! what are they keeping you short in case of a civil disturbance :eek:

As a recent first time FAC applicant, I have been granted

.22lr - Hold 1200, Purchase 1000

.243 - Hold 250, Purchase 200.

Good old Suffolk Constabulary. And to big them up even more, the person(s) on the admin/office side made a bit of an error on putting a mentor condition :eek: on the .22lr and after speaking to my FEO and him agreeing that it should not ahve been done, the new ticket with correct wording was recieved within a relatively short time.

Nice friendly, knowledgable FEO who happily answers emails and phone calls.

SS

EMcC said:
Blimy Gez, all my ammo is buy, 500 and hold 600

What the bloody hell are you going to do with 500 rounds of 308, start a war?

It never ceases to amaze me at the amount of ammunition people want to buy and hold, particularly on a first application. Half the people who were on the DSC1 course I went on had never even shot a rifle and on passing were going to be granted a ticket. I personally wouldn't have given half of them an airgun. If you can show the need to possess that amount, fine, but as a first time applicant what you have been given is absolutely plenty. I've had an open ticket for over 15 years and don't keep anywhere near that amount - besides have you seen the price of ammo, learn to homeload, and try using threadlock on your scope mounts, saves the embarrasment.

HillBilly,
I've been shooting for over fifty years and as an RCO used to run Ranges for BDS courses so it was always handy to have a few 'extra' for the course participants to have a go before they took it serious (I was generous like that!)
The main reason I require authority to acquire so many is that I reload different Types and Weights of bullet and it is always best to buy the same type of ammo when it is available.
I got 500 Winchester Silver tip 150gn 30-30 flat nose bullets from Aftab at Reloading Solutions a few years ago.
It was the end of line so he let me have them cheap. I developed a load to use in my .308 and they were fantastic. It is times like that when the 'large No to acquire' comes in handy.

Ballibeg said:
EMcC said:
Blimy Gez, all my ammo is buy, 500 and hold 600

Mine is buy 40 hold 60. They wouldn't budge on it.

Dave

I'd be inclined to ask them on earth they can justify this preposterous restriction (or words to that effect)? Every packet you open must be a different batch number, for a start; this would lead me to waste a couple from each pack checking zero.

As far as I'm aware, the principle by which the Police are meant to be guided is to view applictaions from the point of view of the FAC-holder, rather than the point of view of an objector.

i have the following on my fac

Buy & Hold

.22rf , 2000 , 3000
12 bore slug, 250 , 300
.308, 1000 , 1000
.303 , 1000 , 1000
.444 , 300 , 300
.22 H , 400 , 500
.357 , 500 , 1000

These amounts also include expanding bullets for reloading.

The Home Office Guidance say in Chapter 4

4.8 The bulk purchase of ammunition for the purpose of
economy is not acceptable as good reason for possession.
Possession of 250 rounds with the authority to acquire 200
rounds should generally regarded as reasonable(but see
paragraphs 4.7 and 13.28 )

Chapter 4 deals with the right to possess expanding
ammunition.

I had my FAC granted last September this is the amounts
I have on my ticket.(200 to buy 250 in possession)

40 to buy 60 to possess how are you suppossed to work
with that, if you want to hand load they come in boxes of 100.
Seems a bit harsh to me, guess its the bend the guidance
when they feel like it game.
Did they give you a good reason as to why it is so low or why
they have gone against the Home Office guidance, might be
worth asking them you never know.

Back