Where do you enjoy stalking?

davidm

Been looking at all my write ups for all my days stalking this year and a few stick out but was just wondering where you guys prefer to stalk? Like open hill, forestry , farm land, open woodland, forestry blocks with clear fells and any other?

Me personally I really enjoyed my visits up to Inverness with JRoe it's open woodland where every step opens up another line of sight and all the times I have been up there's never been much wind so it's been a really hard and rewarding stalks if successful.

Anyone wish to share there favourite place? No need for location just interested.

David

In Scotland, any scattered woodland that breaks out onto open hill where you can stalk to vantage points to glass for the reds sika and roe.

In England any mature woodland around Thetford full of munties because munties bashing is the shizzle and you can pick them up!! When you slot reds it usually ends up with some degree of pain and suffering afterwards. You can fit two munties in a roe sack!

I enjoy all forms of stalking as I'm sure everyone does like park, woodland and the open hill. I love being on the fells in Cumbria as I havn't been to Scotland yet on the hills. Each place llike mentioned brings its own pleasures and rewards and experiance.
But lately it has to be up in Dumfries and Galloway around Solway for me due to my record etc...

Any new permissions , even if they are next to existing ones and no matter how many deer are present .They are all different. I have great memories of stalking with a couple people off this site in stunning areas of this wonderful island but i must get my ass in gear and book another trip to scotland it took my breath away last time and the people were fantastic.

Not Scotland. Cross the border and every blood sucking evil starts to stalk you. The stalking is far too easy as well, and it's always so hot and sunny, could do with some decent scenery as well.

Hah Muddy, did you not get lambasted a while ago for your purported views? Come back soon, bring money, have much fun.

Woodland Stalking for me to wander at a snails pace I might add on paths & rides , in search of the elusive roe deer.

If on the other hand it was Red, It would be open hill with steep sided mountains, wild and rugged glens.

Early morning of course :p

Rgds, Buck.

Last edited:
Open farm land for me, keeping an eye on the hedges and dykes, then a slow stalk through the few woods.

where its hard stalking,a challenge, where you really have to pull all the stops out to get a chance.
where its quiet, either remote or in private woodland.
Hate to hear traffic, car radios, barking dogs, screaming kids,
or bump into a dog walker or boy scout expedition:confused:

I like to be out and about at nearly anything but have got to say that going on the hill for red deer in Scotland is a unique experience and I personally think it is the ultimate stalking experience. I'm very lucky to have sika stalking that, I guess, most people would give their right arms for and I love it and it can be very exciting indeed but it just doesn't hold the memories for me that my few days per year on the hill do.

Back