Teckel help

teyhan1

Now I'm not a first time dog owner and I have to say that my teckel dog pup has got me scratching around for some answers already.
The pup is a dog. He is now 4months 1week old. I have owned him for 2 weeks. I am not heavy handed with him. He is 1/2 house trained.

Here's the problem, he won't come to being called and often doesn't even acknowledge your presence. It is so infuriating that I thought he maybe slightly deaf, but tonight a dog barked in the distance and he turned round and barked back. So I know he can hear ok. He's also refusing to go out if I call him. When I go to pick him up he hides under the table.

Have any of you Teckel owners had any similar experiences? How did you overcome them?

Phew. To think I was nearly the owner of that dog. Ha ha.
I shouldn't joke, I get mine next month so I might be posting a similar thread in January.

On a serious note though from what iv read and people iv spoke to they can be a bit like that until they realise their purpose in life and that its you that give them the opportunity to do what they love doing.

Good luck.
Matt.

best advice i can give is keep him as a house dog like ours .
and come and get a gwp pup for your stalking you wont regret it :D regards pete .

Food treats will transform his hearing! If you only call him to correct him be will ingnore you!

Not calling him to correct him just going outside with him.

Roedinator, sorry but don't do house dogs and GWP to big

I'll get round him, just a crappy day, being hemmed in by the weather

Not calling him to correct him just going outside with him.

Roedinator, sorry but don't do house dogs and GWP to big

I'll get round him, just a crappy day, being hemmed in by the weather

if he sees going outside as a game he will be more willing to go. If you take him outside to do a pee only he will probably not do one and wait until he gets in the warm!

I sympathise, they can be awkward little b*****s! Ours is now 6 months old and generally has good recall however we do have "deaf" moments. Have you tried using a whistle? I find ours responds better to that when we're out and about. I also carry treats in my pocket. She gets rewarded when she responds to the recall. If I want to put her out for a pee I just pick her up and take her out, it's so much easier. I must say I have never used any of these methods with the GSP'S they just listened and did as they were told but Teckels do seem to be a law unto themselves. Be patient (and inventive with your training methods!) two weeks is not long. Good luck!

I know 2 weeks isn't enough,they can be just so infuriating. It's like his mother gave him some lessons before he left on what buttons to press!! He does get a bit better each day but they are very tiny steps. We absolutely had some moments today. He nearly always sits on command. He's just now decided that sometimes he'll have a go at doing it 30m from you, look straight at you and wait until you act all daft before he'll come the rest of the way.
However I think there maybe light at the end of the tunnel, albeit a very faint one. He's showing some very terrier like characteristics. i.e. loves a good fight, gets wound up when fighting, loves a game of 'fight you for the toy', I'm starting to think that this is the way in.

Please persevere mines not a teckel but 2cockers , these to are to say the least not the most cooperative of dogs but as already said use a whistle whenever you feed it or give it a treat , we used liver cake (it stink something rotten ) take all training very slow and don't shout too loud, even now mine both get a mad one on once in a while but they both are stars in whatever I ask the to do, so don't give up they will show you how much their worth bazil

Don't move towards the pup when you give a recall command. Give the command, catch his eye and then leg it the other way. Curiosity can often overcome that initial hurdle followed by huge praise 'when he catches you' if you see what I mean. My teckel was a wee bugger but he came great when he switched from puppy to dog although he never really grew up like English springers or labs do.

I started my teckel hunting at 6 months. Not really hunting but coming along with the other dogs to get used to gun fire etc. The dog did to annoying things. One was to chase stock (normally dairy cows) and the other was not to come when I called it. Now after 3 months of this my hunt club were getting angry with regards to stock. I had a lot of frustration when the dog realised it we were leaving for the next farm she would hang around the car but not allow me to pick her up. When all the other dogs were in their cages I was asking people to help catch the dog. A friend who trains labradors said the best thing for that dog is to get a electric correction collar. So I bought a sportsdog 800. I follow the instructions which was to allow the dog to wear it for a week without activating it. On the first hunt with it, she tried the same old lets run around the car. I activated the warning beep and then activated the lowest shock. She jumped like somebody poked her bum with a pencil and then decided its safer to go to the master. She walked straight over and sat next to me at the car. I picked her up and put her in the cage. Everyone was amazed. Since then I've used it probably twice in a year (beep/tone) only and now I don't even bother taking the remote control, I just use the blaze orange collar. Along with the normal obedience training she has transformed into the most obedient dog we have on our hunts. The only dog that comes when called. Sits when told. Tracks when told etc. Getting that collar has saved me hours of frustration.

I'm on my third Teckel and your's is like the rest of them, I had a dog that would sit until i called it, then one day it got half way back and chased a bird, then when i got hold of it we had words and i came off worst, it had my finger down to the bone. all Teckel's thing thay are rottweilers :D. As for the hearing bit it's a hound.

I started my teckel hunting at 6 months. Not really hunting but coming along with the other dogs to get used to gun fire etc. The dog did to annoying things. One was to chase stock (normally dairy cows) and the other was not to come when I called it. Now after 3 months of this my hunt club were getting angry with regards to stock. I had a lot of frustration when the dog realised it we were leaving for the next farm she would hang around the car but not allow me to pick her up. When all the other dogs were in their cages I was asking people to help catch the dog. A friend who trains labradors said the best thing for that dog is to get a electric correction collar. So I bought a sportsdog 800. I follow the instructions which was to allow the dog to wear it for a week without activating it. On the first hunt with it, she tried the same old lets run around the car. I activated the warning beep and then activated the lowest shock. She jumped like somebody poked her bum with a pencil and then decided its safer to go to the master. She walked straight over and sat next to me at the car. I picked her up and put her in the cage. Everyone was amazed. Since then I've used it probably twice in a year (beep/tone) only and now I don't even bother taking the remote control, I just use the blaze orange collar. Along with the normal obedience training she has transformed into the most obedient dog we have on our hunts. The only dog that comes when called. Sits when told. Tracks when told etc. Getting that collar has saved me hours of frustration.
I've never been a fan of electric collars. I've always said that if I had to resort to one then it gets tested on me first. If I won't do it then I don't expect my dog to do it.

Teckel== I blame you completely. You told me about the litter, you should've told me to get a Black Lab:rofl:

And finally I have tried the running away bit. I don't think he gets it.

I've never liked getting zapped on electric fences and neither does the dog. The dog jumps a lot worse on a electric cow fence than this correction collar and it learnt to avoid them as well. The thing about electric collars is the conditioning is instant so the dog associates it with what not to do. I don't bother with liver treats or any other bribes as the dog soon works out no food, no come. So on the advice of my professional trainer I got rid of the "bribes". Best thing I ever did.

Hi Teyhan, If that's you in the avatar, you look like a biggish sorta guy, you say the pup stays under when you go to pick him up, do you reckon it's feeling threatened by you maybe by your blocking out the light!?:idea:

Hi Teyhan, If that's you in the avatar, you look like a biggish sorta guy, you say the pup stays under when you go to pick him up, do you reckon it's feeling threatened by you maybe by your blocking out the light!?:idea:
Yeah, TOTAL ECLIPSE!!:british:

Finnbear, how wrong can you be, Teckels are afraid of nothing and I mean nothing.

The dogs not deaf he simply cannot be bothered to acknowledge you.

I have had two Tecks now, first from good German breeding and this one from Sweden and is a cracker but the reason they are not for everyone is they are sooooo single minded.

If you have to tell a normal dog 100 times before it learns, multiply by 100 for a Teck and that is no joke. Be patient stick with it, do not ruff them up they just get tougher than you, try to make training interesting especially with blood, skin or cleaves you will win them over. Bet it would come to you if you had a skin to rag or blood to smell, once they realise you are the source of everything interesting then you will bond and team up, afraid until you win them over its all uphill.

Well he's coming with me to the deer park tomorrow. Baptism of fire as were culling. Lots of blood, lots of deer. We'll see what he makes of it all.

Back