Thread: Woodland Flower - Bluebells and Wild Garlic

Woodland Flower - Bluebells and Wild Garlic

Last year I cleared out a section of woodland that was over grown with Hawthorn. There was no ground cover due to the thick tree canopy which meant the Roe kept to the other end of the wood where there was more cover.

After removing the Hawthorn I'm now left with some Ash and Hazel and a lot of bare woodland flooring. This end of the wood is used as an additional pheasant drive if other drives during a shoot fail. We have a small number of pheasant feeds dotted around which I know the Roe will be attracted to.

I'm aware that Roe have already started venturing into this part of the wood since the Hawthorn were felled and I'm happy for them to do this as they help keep the larder full. I would like to plant some native plants and flowers but don't want to plant something that Roe will hammer. I don't mind that munching on the odd plant but there is no point planting flowers if they will eat the lot.

I was thinking of Bluebells and Wild Garlic. I know that Muntjac will hit Bluebells hard but I don't know what Roe are like with them. Am I wasting my time with considering Bluebells and/or Wild Garlic?

Sounds like youve done a good job
    most woodland is sadly neglected and not
    coppiced on a regular basis
    Come next spring there should be enough native seed
    to regenerate the woodland floor
    However new coppice shoots are favourite with deer
    as are young wildflower seedlings
    bluebells must be native variety
    I would wait and see what nature does best.

I'd go with what Bob says, leave it and see what appears, no point buying seed if it's going to appear naturally .

best leave it to nature. see what turns up and work with that. you will be suprised what turns up as the seed banks left dormant in the soil will survive for years. if you are thinking of leaving it to a a low understory then you have got your work cut out keepin the new thorn growth down, if you are growing timber then leave some "sacrifice" trees for the squirrels. i normally leave the self seeded sycamore for the squirrels.... and then shoot them!!!!
    Big bloke... but outta shape

Cheer guys. I thought the same about old seeds in the ground coming to life but it didn't happen. I cleared the wood of Hawthorn last Autumn and was hoping to see some nice wildflowers etc in the spring. The only thing that popped up was a few Foxgloves and a load of Ferns. I cut a path through the ferms to create a ride but I've kept some of the ferns as the Pheasants like the cover the ferns offer. The Roe left the Foxgloves alone apart from the odd one been frayed a bit.

I've coppiced the Hazel to allow more light to get to the ground and also to give the Roe something to feed on when the new Hazel shoots appear in spring.

I'll probably give the woodland floor another spring and see what appears now the ferns have been cut back. If nothing appears next year then I'll probably look to put some wild seeds down.

Cheers again for your help.

@ Ade C - I like the Squirrel idea.