AW - Payment

Would you pay an AW

• Total voters

bambislayer

I know this has been done to death but I'd like to know peoples thoughts.

As part of my business I alongside another colegue are contemplating a venture where we will offer an AW and "training" service.

We will offer a full package which will include ground to stalk, an AW/instructer, vehicle/atv , the land will have ample deer [roe] to provide stalking oportunities.

The charge would probably be per outing plus a price per animal shot [no trophy fee]

Taking in mind that we are both professional [and don't want to work for £4 an hour!!] and need to pay rent on the stalking land , all paperwork, vehicles and feed children what would you be prepared to pay

per outing

per animal shot.

I'm not wanting an arguemnet about the pro's and con's of DMQ or that "all shooting should be free"

Your opinions please?

ps My offer to visit SD members on their own ground and do AW's for free still stands!!!

In my opinion, B-S, you are providing a professional service (and to some people a very valuable one at that) and should have absolutely no qualms whatsoever about charging fairly for it.

I think £75ish(maybe more?) for a four hour outing with a professional AW would be pretty good value. For that someone is getting the benefit of your knowledge,tuition,assessment, and your time doing the appropriate paperwork. If you think of the money people spend on equipment, leases, etc then its not much in the bigger scheme of things,also what would you have to pay for a golf lesson or an hour with a shotgun coach?

Whether the current structure of DSC I and II is the way to go I'm not so sure, but thats another story.

P.S-I am not an AW myself, so am not trying to promote anything!

A.W

I have just completed my level 2 and paid £30 per stalk extra for all of the AWs hard work. He asked me a hundred and one questions and must have been writing my answers down while I stalked and prepared the beast for the game dealer. At the end of my visit he had completed my portfolio and even written my answers in for me. The Guy was top notch and very professional and it was well worth me paying for his expertise as the portfolio assessor couldn't find many questions to ask. Yes it did cost me roughly £700 in total.(Including me buying a carcass and a B&B) but my F.C lease insisted on everyone in our syndicate must have level 2 so it had to be done as quickly as possible. I am sure there are cheaper options but in my case no part 2 no stalking(that for me is not an option at the moment).
Paul

B.S
Ive been down this road and it is a road of risk assessments,commercial insurance,and paperwork, lots of it!
I charged £50.00 per day no trophy fee and filled in the portfolio..
That was few years ago now so obviously prices will of increased along with the paperwork..

regards
griff

I think I have finally just finished my Level 2 Its all down to the assesor now.I paid £50 per outing to the AW regardless of shot or no shot. My AW was spot on but had to have his credibility severly tested by some of the questions asked by the assesor.Myself personally, I would have said stuff it. But he didn't. he was well worth the money.

I am used as an AW for clients on an Estate near me and I charge £25 to take them out and £25 to do the portfolio. That is paid to me by the Estate, I have no idea what the Estate charge the client.
If I am asked to attend as an AW on somebodys own ground by mutual agreement then I only expect to be paid for diesel and a tip for my time.
I have found, only once I might add, that when an Estate or business offers to take someone on for an accredited stalk, the client pays the money and then expects to be qualified at the end of it.
Now I always make sure by talking to the prospective candidate that the person has the knowledge and experience before I will act as an AW for them.
It is not just three successful stalks that qualify the person for DMQ 2.
The three stalks are used as the opportunity to show the AW that he/she has the knowledge to be awarded the qualification.

Thanks everyone

I was testing the water.

To answer some of the queries/points made.

I already operate a commercial stalking enterprise but only with accompanied clients , this side of things is fully booked with repeat trade.

I have always been very wary of trying to "cash" in on DSC as I am passionate about retaining the "integraty" of the scheme, however I do need to explore all income streams, I'm sure I'm not the only one with the present financial climate!!

Like my let stalking I would have a completely transparent agreement, no hidden extras, it's something I feel very strongly about this and with stalking clients I work out an all in price , to the point there are NO TIPS involved.

Thanks for the imput , the figure I had in mind was £75 for a am or pm outing , or £150 for a full day. Plus the cost of the animal shot.

My initial idea was that someone [with everything going to plan that is!!!] should be that part 2 with AW would cost in at about £300 - £600 depending on what time of year , ie 1 day shooting 3 does to 3 outings and 3 bucks.

Ive looked at the last few posts, the cash thing looms its head again ,
Ive been self employed for quiet an few years, looking at the prices shown you either have other gainful employment or have the money tree in the garden £50.00 per outing equates to £42.50 with the tax man getting his share then theres the NI contributions the travel costs etc

You must then as a commercial venture have in place, insurances, health and safety risk assessments , in place covering all aspects of your outings even a £75.00 per outing £150.00 per day= £127.50,would hardly cover your working costs, weighing up all the costs of the hours outwith the time spent on the ground with a client will give you a better cost evaluation .

Good luck with your venture heres hoping you have success .

widows son said:
Ive looked at the last few posts, the cash thing looms its head again ,
Ive been self employed for quiet an few years, looking at the prices shown you either have other gainful employment or have the money tree in the garden £50.00 per outing equates to £42.50 with the tax man getting his share then theres the NI contributions the travel costs etc

You must then as a commercial venture have in place, insurances, health and safety risk assessments , in place covering all aspects of your outings even a £75.00 per outing £150.00 per day= £127.50,would hardly cover your working costs, weighing up all the costs of the hours outwith the time spent on the ground with a client will give you a better cost evaluation .

Good luck with your venture heres hoping you have success .

With my stalking business, insurance etc. is already in place.

I assure you that I don't have a cash tree, some birch maybe!!!

I feel that the price has to be worthwhile for the supplier but also cost effective for the client.

This would be an added income to an existing business, you will never make a fortune at this game, I haven't so far!!!!!

But It's my life [sad I know], I am lucky enough to be able to do enviromental/forestry/conservation/deer consutancy for half the year which makes up 75% of my income!!!!!!!!
At one time I was shooting deer 12 months of the year, I'd rather AW than shoot [some of the time]

BS, can you clarify for me. The £75 per outing sounds fair to me and is in the region I expect to pay. Is the cost per animal shot on top of that cost if the client keeps the carcass or is it charged anyway :confused:

Normally you will only shoot one animal as DMQ2 is three sperate outings, so there is no point in shooting more than one.
There are however exceptions to the rule whereby you are managing deer numbers.

The carcass is normally charged at the going dealer rate which varies from month to month as the scarcity of venison in the summer months cannot keep up with demand.
Usually between £1.75-£2.50kg.

regards
griff

Back