New Trigger Springs Fitted

mildot

I ordered 2 trigger springs for my Tikka T3 and my sako 75.

I fitted them tonight and have the Sako set at 440grs and the Tikka at 520grs. The tikka did go lighter with no issues unles the rifle was held upright when closing the bolt, in which case the sears just fell on closure of the bolt.

They are so much better and cant wait to put them into practice at the weekend.

You do so at your own peril ! [ Or more importantly, someone elses. ]
I have had both Sako 75 and Tikka T3 rifles and Sako mention an adjustment between 1Kg and 2Kg for their standard trigger.

HWH.

This is a very personal thing, I think: but I am uncomfortable with a pull of less that 3-3.5lb. I've tried lighter pulls on my rifles, but find I get worse results.
Having said that, I keep a consitent firm grip with both hands when shooting, even when using a bipod prone or off a bench, and find that a firmish trigger goes well with this technique.

Each to their own, but apart fron other considerations, I like a good margin of safety between the trigger setting at which the rifle might drop the striker by itself (in whatever position) and the setting which I actually use in the field or on the range!

+1 Doesn't sound particularly safe to me.
I have a Sako rifle and have had Tikka rifles and have always found the trigger pulls when adjusted within the recommended limits perfectly fine. With one exception many years ago with a Beretta rifle made by Sako was my disatisfaction such that I felt it necessary to replace the trigger with a canjar unit.

Its all perfectly safe. As originally mentioned rifles were testedin all angles in addition to this they get a good battering to makes sure theres no slam fire etc...

There are thousands of people with trigger settings half of what mine is, and when you take into account that you shouldnt fully close the bolt until your on target there wont ever be any issues with ND's. When out hunting i use the same principle. Safety is always first!

Its all perfectly safe. As originally mentioned rifles were testedin all angles in addition to this they get a good battering to makes sure theres no slam fire etc...

There are thousands of people with trigger settings half of what mine is, and when you take into account that you shouldnt fully close the bolt until your on target there wont ever be any issues with ND's. When out hunting i use the same principle. Safety is always first!

Dangerous bunkum !
Novices beware !
Safety IS always first but not in the manner expressed above.

HWH.

when you take into account that you shouldnt fully close the bolt until your on target there wont ever be any issues with ND's. When out hunting i use the same principle. Safety is always first!

Sounds like advice from the 1950s era. Might once have made sense for e.g. a sporterised Lee Enfield, but certainly not best practise nowadays.

Sounds like advice from the 1950s era. Might once have made sense for e.g. a sporterised Lee Enfield, but certainly not best practise nowadays.

personally I chamber a round and apply the safety the second I leave the car, god, I can think of a lot of deer I've shot where if I had to first start chamerbing a round right before shooting I would either not have had enough time, made too much noise, or moved the rifle and arms about too much and disturbed the deer.

a decent rifle with a proper (and I say proper) safety that is trustworthy should be perfectly safe to stalk with loaded.

a decent rifle with a proper (and I say proper) safety that is trustworthy should be perfectly safe to stalk with loaded.

Agreed, and this is what is taught as Best Practice. But safety starts first with muzzle awareness.

A proper safety locks the firing pin/cocking piece, or even decocks the rifle. Any safety which does not mechanically intercept the firing mechanism, e.g. just blocks a trigger sear, is worse than useless IMHO.

Even with a proper safety mechanism, if you modify the trigger springs or sears there is still the chance of the rifle firing as the safety is taken off just before the shot, which I would still regard as a ND.

Rifles which I know from examination to have a proper safety include:

Browning A Bolt
Winchester 70
Blaser
Marlin 336

It might be useful if others could add to this list.

Last edited:
Agreed, and this is what is taught as Best Practice. But safety starts first with muzzle awareness.

A proper safety locks the firing pin/cocking piece, or even decocks the rifle. Any safety which does not mechanically intercept the firing mechanism, e.g. just blocks a trigger sear, is worse than useless IMHO.

Even with a proper safety mechanism, if you modify the trigger springs or sears there is still the chance of the rifle firing as the safety is taken off just before the shot, which I would still regard as a ND.

Rifles which I know from examination to have a proper safety include:

Browning A Bolt
Winchester 70
Blaser
Marlin 336

It might be useful if others could add to this list.

you wouldn't like the BRNO/CZ ZKK series then!

you wouldn't like the BRNO/CZ ZKK series then!

Never played with one, so will take your word for it.

Maddest safety I've had the misfortune to use is the RPA one fitted inside the front of the trigger guard. Finger forward = safety off, finger back = fire. The one I used had been adjusted to a ridiculously light trigger (easy and safe with an RPA, but not for hunting IMHO) and the safety released with little more pressure. Substitute twig etc. for finger ...

Never played with one, so will take your word for it.

Maddest safety I've had the misfortune to use is the RPA one fitted inside the front of the trigger guard. Finger forward = safety off, finger back = fire. The one I used had been adjusted to a ridiculously light trigger (easy and safe with an RPA, but not for hunting IMHO) and the safety released with little more pressure. Substitute twig etc. for finger ...

the ZKK safety comes in and blocks the sear and sear block so the sear cannot fall and release the firing pin., just FYI - not that it matters

The road to hell is paved with reliance on safety-catches to maintain safety, and with over-light triggers on stalking rifles.
Discuss.

As this thread has been brought to our attention I feel I should add a note on behalf of admin for people reading this.

Modifying the components of your trigger isn't advisable and shouldn't be attempted without suitable knowledge and expertise. Unless it is done absolutely right your firearm can discharge at any time, with obvious consequences. In addition, setting up extremely light pull weights on a sporting firearm (which is that much more prone to knocks and being pointed in various directions whilst loaded) is not recommended and can be dangerous.

Secondly, best practice states that the bolt should be closed with the muzzle pointing safely towards soft ground so if it does go off the worst that can happen is a divot and some embarrassment. Closing the bolt whilst trying to hold on your intended target is not recommended unless you are in the process of reloading for a potential follow-up shot.

Last edited:
Back