Binoculars and Scopes in the Rain

ferretmanabu

How do you guys find your optics fair in the rain?

I find my Vortex bino's become pretty useless in a heavy downpour.

I'm just wondering if higher end optics have better performance when wet as well?

Daywalker,

You say "steam up". Does this mean you keep them inside a pocket?

Need to dange outside to maintain temperature equilibrium. All the moisture should then do is bead and run off the lenses.

Stan

I use my spare pair in the wet as the rain will degrade theimage of the best bins, also I don’t mind wiping the cheap pair to removerain drops if I have to with a tissue, where I am a little more careful withthe expensive bins.

ATB

Tahr

No problems.:D

edi
DSCN7323.jpg

No round neck on strap provided thought it was my deep breathing at first,same with covers on to...

Daywalker,

Then you need to address the coating on your lenses. They should only bead and you should then shake and ignore. Fogging on the outside, or do you mean a fine coating of moisture? To me, fogging is an internal thing.

Stan

Daywalker,

Then you need to address the coating on your lenses. They should only bead and you should then shake and ignore. Fogging on the outside, or do you mean a fine coating of moisture? To me, fogging is an internal thing.

Stan

No just a layer on outside of lense,returns 5 min after wipeing.

There is a DVD supplied each month with the German DJZ hunting magazine and this month there was an article on it showing the building of Zeiss lenses from grinding to assembly of the bins so now I see why the top end units cost what they do.
They do a lotus-tec coating to stop condensation forming on the outer surfaces too.
Looks like fair value to me.
Bushnell bresser and all the other low end products are just that.
Martin

How do you guys find your optics fair in the rain?

I find my Vortex bino's become pretty useless in a heavy downpour.

I'm just wondering if higher end optics have better performance when wet as well?

More importantly, what the hell are you doing being out in the rain ;)

I use motorbike visor spray on mine. It has an anti misting ingredient. Handy when it's cold and you breath on the lens just before you pull the trigger! In terms of keeping the rain off them, I am just extra careful to not get them wet, I guess. Disposable shower caps are good to put over scopes even if you have flip up covers on as well.

Stalking in the rain is the only thing that stops me polishing off the malt before tea time.

Chris

Could be just grime or grease on the lens. I do the same as divers do on goggles, use a strong solution of unvented washing liquid to clean them, not too heavy, wipe it all off totally clean without using water, wipe later with damp cloth, stops mist and fogging totally. Someone else I know uses a screen wash solution, water will just run off it.

stop breathing on the lens and leave them in place that is as close to outside as possible before using them

they should be the same temp as the outside air

If the lenses are warmer than the surrounding air (or the breath) then they won't fog up.
Lenses colder than surrounding moist air and they'll fog.
edi

My biggest problem is stopping myself breathing on the eyepiece lenses & fogging them up!! I get the same with my spex!! especially when wearing a cammo mask.

Ian

Bushnell bresser and all the other low end products are just that.

You are quite wrong about Bushnell, the fact is that they invented and patented their "RainGuard" hydrophobic coating. Whilst they make many decent low end products, they also make some very decent high quality ones too.

Zeiss license it from them and brand it as "Lotu-Tec".

Leica copied it, were sued by Bushnell and have now "reached an agreement" allowing them to use it on certain products.

See http://www.womensoutdoorwire.com/releases/203396 and http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums...-Zeiss-Enter-Into-An-Agreement-On-Hydrophobic

My Bushnell rangefinder binoculars have this coating, and it works extremely well.

Whatever the coating, the best way to clean the lenses to help minimise steaming up is a fluid called "ROR" meaning residual oil remover http://www.ror.net/ and the best cleaning cloth is the Opticron microfibre one, which is thicker, fluffier and larger than most.

Back