30 yard fox last night!

Was out last night on the bunnies for the 1st time with my .22lr wearing a Yukon nvrs-f nightvision scope I've been lent from a friend.

Not much about I think maybe due to the freezing North wind and was dificult to stalk coz of the clear moonlit sky, so decided to tuck into some bushes along a field on my sticks to see if anything popped out of a sheltered spot.

Scanning the hedgeline with my NV spotter I saw a fox jump out of a hedge about 150 yards away. Moved myself into position with the nv scope switched on and rifle balanced and thought I'd try out some calls I have on my iphone.

I put a distressed hare call on and **** me this fox started pelting towards me down the hedgeline. I put the phone in my pocket still going, lobbed my spotter in my pocket and by the time I looked through the scope it was barely 40 yards in front of me still coming full tilt!!

My heart was pounding like a drum and I ended up semi barking and screaching like a werewolf to get it to stop,
shout.gif
or I reckon it would have run through my legs!!

I don't think it could work out why there was still a hare sound coming from me and some idiot howling at the same time, but it did the job and it finally froze staring straight at me no more than 25-30 yards away.

Quick flick of the safety, gentle squeeze and down he went. This is the 4th fox I've shot and they have all been in superb condition. I'll have to get meself sorted and skin one sometime to make a hat! It seems such a waste to throw them into the skip each time, coz as much as they need controlling I think they are a lovely looking animal!
good.gif

Stratts

Iphone072.jpg

Good thing about Cambs mate. They used to say no to .22lr to discourage people taking long pot shots at them, but then changed their stance earlier this year with the wording vermin and other lawful quary on the cert.

I have shot 2 with the lr and they have both been 30 - 40 yards away while out on the bunnies and won't consider any distance over that tbh. That's what I have a WMR and 22-250 for.

Good thing about Cambs mate. They used to say no to .22lr to discourage people taking long pot shots at them, but then changed their stance earlier this year with the wording vermin and other lawful quary on the cert.

I have shot 2 with the lr and they have both been 30 - 40 yards away while out on the bunnies and won't consider any distance over that tbh. That's what I have a WMR and 22-250 for.

Unfortunately (sadly?) not all people are as sensible as you?

Good lad, obviously an exciting encounter,
fortunate to have the loan of the nv scope
which is a good idea as we all cannot afford one
as much as we might like one.

Yet again the.22lr is highly effective against foxes
at the appropriate range where you can accurately place the bullet.
thats for the individual to decide... not big brother

Back