Thread: What rifle manufacturer, sound moderator, scope ?

What rifle manufacturer, sound moderator, scope ?

I have a licence for a 6.5x55, I'm a lefty and interested to hear thoughts on rifle options beyond the Tikka range... sound moderators, scopes etc (budget dependant will be the typical reply i suspect). I'm typically on a hill North of the border....

welcome to the forum and before someone else says so, better head to introductions and talk about about yourself to the other forum members (rules and such).

I am unimaginably pleased you asked for recommendations outwith Tikka! not that they are not great, just that a lot of people are blinkered and blindly go for T3's without giving thought to, handing, shooting, or even looking at other rifles. the best thing you can do is handle and shoot a selection that is of decent quality and condition, then pick the one that strikes your fancy, fits you, feels great and that you can shoot with confidence. Also give thought to dovetails or mounting systems available, trigger type and safety type (if you like/trust it) and ability to upgrade components/custom tailor should you wish to in the future.

I personally cannot see another way of properly going about picking a rifle.

personally I'd shortlist:

a. sauer, sako, tikka, CZ/BRNO, Krico, Savage
    a. S&B, Zeiss, Swarovski, Kahles, Doctor
    a. Optilock, Warne, Talley, Recknagel, Apel
    a. Harris S type if needed
    a. Twin sticks
    a. no clue, I have an A-Tec Maxim and it's great, but have not tried/owned others so cannot comment.

Blaser or Sako for factory rifles, nothing wrong with Remington, BRNO etc though
    Schmidt and Bender scope in 3-12x50 or 4-16x50, would consider Zeiss or Swaro if I couldn get the S&B that I wanted
    Good mounts ie blaser for the blaser and optilock for the sako
    Third Eye tactical spartan moderator
    Harris bipod

I like, for the hill:
    SAKO rifle
    ASE Northstar mod - heavy, but not too much added length. Stainless and solid, so no arseing with taking apart and cleaning.
    Schmidt & Bender 6x42 telescope. Not too heavy, no arseing around with magnification changes, sits low on the rifle.

My signature covers my reponse...

Welcome to the site, and look forward to hearing more

Sako 75 6.5x55 - Z6i 3-18x50. Sako 75 .308 Habicht 2.5-10x56. Beretta 690. Benelli M2.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

This is the inroduction forum, where you introduce yourself, questions about rifle etc are best asked in the approriate forum. Apart from keeping things tidy not everyone reads this particular forum so you will get a better response elsewhere.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses