78gr or 87gr Vmax

Pirate hunter

Currently loading 87gr Vmax for my sako 243 for deer and foxes,I have shot roe and munties with them and not had that much damage just a bit of bruising with HL shots,
Just wanted to know what you lads are getting from the 75gr Vmax.

ATB

Andy

Last edited:
I use 87 v max as you and excellent results so see no need to change. However at the MGF I purchased 2 boxes of 87's however just noticed that I was given one 75 and one 87, could have been a v nasty mix up.

D

87g's is a sweet bullet weight for the .243, at least in my sako and in a few others that I know of.

I'm surprised you guys are shooting deer with vmax, I'd have thought it a bit of a faux pas tbh!

The 75's I have got with 37grains of varget are very very accurate through my sako, they seem to be brilliant on foxes and the only deer I have shot have shown no problems at all. Entry and exit on a fallow buck not too much damage and dropped on the spot so no complaints, they aren't my usual deer bullet but certainly seem to work fine

87s are a great allround bullet for the 243. i never tried the 75s but used to use 70 grain ballistic tip on roe and they killed very well indeed with little damage. I should imagine the 75s will kill just as well but i would be careful not to load them too fast and to make sure your shot placement is spot on.

The 75's I have got with 37grains of varget are very very accurate through my sako, they seem to be brilliant on foxes and the only deer I have shot have shown no problems at all. Entry and exit on a fallow buck not too much damage and dropped on the spot so no complaints, they aren't my usual deer bullet but certainly seem to work fine
when I used 75gr v max in my 243 I loaded them with 41grs of varget,max load I think,they were awesome accuracy,did find most didn't exit on roe,I can't see there will be much difference between the 75's and 87's

Think i will get a box and see what the rifle likes best.What you loading the 75gr with(powder,primers,depth).
Got 87gr 37gr varget,fed primer,sat at. 2.700.

Thanks Lads

Andy

Think i used remy case,Cci br primer,41grs of varget,not sure on seating depth as my mate had my 243 off me a few years ago,still make the ammo but no oal as I've none to measure,seating die hasn't changed for a lot of years no need too,think it was up close too lands,we had a bit of a play at 400yds one eve last year,I had a 3 shot group with my 25-06 1.5 inches,my mate shot 2 inch group with the 75gr v max

87s are a great allround bullet for the 243. i never tried the 75s but used to use 70 grain ballistic tip on roe and they killed very well indeed with little damage. I should imagine the 75s will kill just as well but i would be careful not to load them too fast and to make sure your shot placement is spot on.

Well I for one would definately not recommend the 75gr bullets for deer. I used a box a couple of years ago and they seemed to be trying their hardest to explode the foxes I shot with them. I only tried two chest shots on fallow and they gave an exit style entry wound and the shrapnel didn't penetrate too well, although the deer were killed cleanly. The few neck shot fallow had similar very explosive results. Not my cup of tea at all, but a very good fox killing bullet.

But until I read the above quote I had never thought I might have loaded them too fast. Also my fast twist barrel would probably have made them break up more quickly too. Either way I won't be using any again, will stick to soft points.

when I used 75gr v max in my 243 I loaded them with 41grs of varget,max load I think,they were awesome accuracy,did find most didn't exit on roe,I can't see there will be much difference between the 75's and 87's

I wonder if that is the difference as I don't find they explode foxes, it seems a very sweet load in my rifle so I've not tried punching them faster I know there is a big difference in damage to a mate with 70 grn nosler ballistic tips with 42 grains of varget under them.

They will be explosive,most damage I've seen is a 30 cal 110gr v max,I headshot a roe doe between the eyes,was nothing left bar a bit of the skin attached to the ears.

I load with either 37.5 grns Varget or 33 grns N140. Both have excellent accuracy. Very effective on foxes and roe. Minimal damage but large ammount of energy dumped on quarry. Last buck I shot was at 180+ yds went a bit high couldn't find a entry or exit wound. On skinning spine completely destroyed, with tiny exit wound. Found base of bullet lodged in spinal fragment. Buck went down as if it had been electrocuted, bullet placement was just bellow the spine, my error as I was shooting diagonally up and across a steep bank and my meopta central dot is a bit too big. Another one shot in the engine room at 60yds destroyed heart and exit wound was about 1", ribs destroyed on both sides but that was the most damaged one I have had.

Am very happy with this bullet and loading.

D

I use Sierra 70gr with n140 (38.6) and the deer I head shot was pretty much missing everything from the bottom of the eye socket up.

well judging by the "hot water bottle" sound that comes from the foxes that I shoot with VMax when I pick them up......I would only use Vmax for head and neck on deer

Back