Ash dieback

Craggy

If the ash trees are doomed as suggested as no cure is known.
Denmark has lost 95% of its ash trees in 10 years. Should there be a national campaign to plant another species of tree near to all ash trees before it dies to fill the space as it is dying??

ASH! They have identified that 5% suvive for some reason. Plant the keys of those trees which have a natural immunity.
It's natural evolution.
MS

The 5% that are showing immunity are in relation to the current fungal genotype.
They do not yet know if this fungal genotype will mutate and as such it may be a bit early to go ahead and plant out with stock from the 5%

Be safer to plant out with a different species all together IMHO

Which species, sudden oak death, bleeding canker in chestnuts , just afew, we're all dommed.

I'm led to believe that a sharp cold spell like this of the minuses we are having will halt the spread.

I have a theory,
to stop fungus you use a sulpher wash, since they removed sulpher from road fuel, the brambles have died back, has it allowed the fungus to get a hold?

Perhaps if the damned climate change lot had lept their mouths shut and not imported trees from warmer climes we would not be in this mess to begin with. However we know that they will never accept they they ARE the problem.

Mrmickey explain, from what I gather, this fungus originates in the warmer areas of the east, with lower growing costs, trees were then exported to Europe where the fungus was carried on the wind to the UK or via a peace of timber in a similar way to which Dutch elm was carried to the uk after the WW1.

can i ask when / if ash die back hits the farm can the felled logs be removed for home fires ? or will it have to be burn on the spot .

Good question.

I guess there might be some movement restriction in place as the fungal infection will remain 'alive' for some time after the tree has been felled; as such log (firewood) movement could pose a threat !

ATB

CVK

can i ask when / if ash die back hits the farm can the felled logs be removed for home fires ? or will it have to be burn on the spot .

Mrmickey explain, from what I gather, this fungus originates in the warmer areas of the east, with lower growing costs, trees were then exported to Europe where the fungus was carried on the wind to the UK or via a peace of timber in a similar way to which Dutch elm was carried to the uk after the WW1.

My gripe is not with the ecology or origin of the fungi, but the "damned climate change lot" being to blame. Your right there taff, it is the lower growing costs and the lack of biological control when bringing items like this into the country that has put us in this position. If you want someone to blame Brit, blame the gov for the lack of bio security or even the capitalists for saving a penny per stem when buying in tree stock. Maybe Brit, it is a subtle al-qaeda attack, shall we blame the jihadists?:rolleyes:

Mickey

Good question.

I guess there might be some movement restriction in place as the fungal infection will remain 'alive' for some time after the tree has been felled; as such log (firewood) movement could pose a threat !

ATB

CVK

The current FC advice suggests that timbre movement is of low risk as the spores are released from the leaves and leaf stalks from June to Oct. Therefore, of greater risk is anyone making leaf mulch from ash leaves and transporting that around.

Mickey

Fera are still producing a guide line! The whole industry is waiting for guidance. When I spoke to a FERA inspector where I was working he told me to crack on as normal until publication of the guideline!

There is some information here

News

about this worrying disease, with links to an FC alert info sheet as well, which shows some very good images of the disease.

I understand that the Future Trees Group are involved in the research and breeding of resistant stock for a number of diseases common in our native trees.

For any reliable and accurate information with regards to movement, felling and use of affected stock, I would contact either the FC or the FT group for advice.

Last edited:
The reason it has devastated so much of the European forestry is not because the disease killed all the trees, but foresters who are concerned about economic yield felled all the trees before the timber becomes discoloured due to the fungus thus reducing its value to the furniture trade. Who knows how many of those trees may have survived and become resistant, it's mainly fatal in very young trees so there could have been a chance the mature ones might have built up resistance. No such chance now.
Here's hoping we don't adopt the same policy over here.

Back