Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm cruel to my dog!!! (According to HR)

I'm cruel to my dog!!! (According to HR)

Rant time! Just got called up to see one of the women in Human Resources - apparently there have been several complaints from others in the office about me keeping my dog in my car!

Just to fill you in - I am having substantial work done on the house and have a 11 week old puppy which I've cage trained. He's been coming in with me over the last few weeks (staying in his cage in the car) as the building work has dragged on. I'm lucky in that I'm waiting for redundancy, so there's no issue with me going down every hour or two to let him out and have a 15-20 minute toilet/training/play session with him.

He has a large cage which is covered with a blanket. In the cage is water, food, toys (safe ones), and blankets/bedding. The windows are left open a few inches, and I never park in direct sunlight. He doesn't cry or protest and actually asks to go back in the car when he's tired.

My dog is happy and the correct weight, and is already better trained than the "assistance dog" that a lady in a wheelchair is allowed in the office! I am not allowed mine in the office.

I've just been asked if this is a long term situation - It isn't (he'll have a run when the builders finish) but I replied it's no ones business what I do with my dog or have in my car as I'm not breaking any laws or policies. She replied they could write a policy about whats in cars on company premises - I said I'd park in the car park around the corner! She gave up!

Does anyone else think this is "cruel"!?!? (who actually knows about dogs!)

What the f*ck is wrong with these people!!! I now have a note in my car saying the following:

To whom it may concern:
    Yes there is/was a dog in the car the windows are open, he is fed and watered, and let out at least every 2 hours.

Google cage training dog if you are concerned.

If you are still concerned please call (my number) rather than reporting it to HR (which is pathetic).

Ive had builders in my house for a month so have had my dog with me should I ever need to bring him in again I will be sure to park elsewhere so as not to offend you! Hopefully a nice noisy roadside which Im sure hell enjoy! Or he can stay at home on his own! Thanks for sticking your noses in something thats none of your business!!!

Id be interested to see your idea of training a dog... And next time you get a busybody advising you on how to raise your kids or pets have a think!!!

Though it sounds fine the only bit I'd vbe worried about is someone stealing the dog

he/she's probably much happier coming with you than being home alone all day. Neither are ideal, but hey ho, we don't all have the ability to run around playing with the dog all day, that's why we take them out early for long walks, a lunch time walk if you can, and a good long walk after work/evening, and then let them properly have fun in the countryside in the weekends! that's how my dogs live, sometimes they come with me in the car, but mostly stay at home with the aforementioned routine, and they are very very happy pups indeed!

I can't see a problem with the dog in the car at this time of year.

I think you are just inflaming the situation with the sign. It is a good idea leaving a note with your number - it might save some do-gooder smashing your window to 'rescue' the dog.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Nothing wrong with it, my only concern would be other people!

In fact, training the dog to be left in the car or at least alone, will help with the transition to the kennel.

I would avoid the sign.

Outwith warm weather, my lab is nearly always in the car. Gives my an excuse to escape at lunchtimes!!!!!

I'm so p*ssed of about it - bloody "do-gooders"!

He's too young to walk him properly but he gets a lot of play time to pucker him out - when he's had his jabs I'll begin building up his walks.

I can't see the difference between this and him being at home with me popping back to let him out!

dog lovers they have not got a clue. my 7 year old lab has been going to work with me since she was 6 months old sits in the front well of my van .she cant get enough of car journeys.

my bmh comes to work with me and is happy we get lots of time at breaks to play and do abit of training ,she wont stay at home she goes bananas if im not around, atb wayne
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

This time of year there is no problem, if it was warm it would be different but I am sure that you would find a different solution were it summer. People have strange ideas about their pets, the people with issues will be the ones that feed their dogs from table, pick them up and share their beds with them.

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

my wife used to spend several hours a day in an isolated office on an industrial estate on her own, she started taking the jack russell to work, ( I suppose he is her dog)
    he used to lay happily under the desk, and greet visitors with a waggy tail,

one of the blokes she worked with didnt like dogs so put a complaint in, so it stopped, funny thing was she was the person responsible for monitering lone working,

on the odd ocasion I have to leave a dog in a car, I always leave a buisiness card in full view with my number on if anyone needs me.