Butchery DVD's

david1976

I am continually trying to look for different ways to cut up my venison for selling on and was wondering if anyone here could recommend a butchering dvd they have themselves found useful (it does not have to be for deer although this would be preferred).

I find these a lot easier to go by than books as you can easily see what is happening. I already have the david stretton one and the BDS one which i am more than willing to swap/lend etc if anyone is interested.

I was previously promised deer processing and Game Butchers white tailed deer processing 1 & 2 although unfortunately these never materialized.

Cheers

David

re'M'ington did an excellent post on Deer butchery, Stone added a worthwhile piece. I reckon it was about two months ago so happy hunting.
basil.

As basil already mentioned

this is a Fallow doe already skinned

P1050897.jpg

i remove the shoulders first
i cut across the chest just above the shoulder blade
P1050898.jpg

then cut the flesh away from the rib cage by running the knife down tight against the ribs peeling the flesh back and then again cutting down the back bone
this then starts to get the whole shoulder starting to fall away
P1050904.jpg

i then take the other shoulder off and go strip the meat off both shoulders
one shoulder has been stripped and about to start the other , as you can see a pile of cut up meat starting to form on the right of the unstripped shoulder, you can bone and roll the shoulder or just use the whole shoulder as a joint
P1050906.jpg

next i start with the loin or saddle
this i cut into chops or medallions
i cut across the flank just below the haunches
P1050907.jpg

and cut down the rib cage leaving a genouros piece of fatty flank
P1050908.jpg

i then cut down the back bone peeling the loin away and also cut the flank away from the ribcage
P1050913.jpg

this then leaves me a good long pice of meat with a bit of fat on it
P1050909.jpg

which i then fold over
P1050910.jpg

and start to slice thumb width thick chops off it
P1050912.jpg

next i start on the haunches
P1050914.jpg

by cutting around the edge of the pelvic bone and along the back bone
P1050917.jpg

i then start to cut around the ball joint
P1050916.jpg

leaving me a whole haunch to then start to debone
P1050918.jpg

the hauch is the cut into 2 pieces
one as a joint
P1050919.jpg

the other is placed in the freezer for a couple of hours to go solid then is sliced into steaks
P1050928.jpg

now you also should of accummilated a pile of meat that you hav cut of the shoulders and exces bits from the chops and from the steaks
this i normally either cube the best bits and mince the rest
P1050920.jpg

a few of the trays of mince , cubed ,joints and chops ready to be packaged
P1050922.jpg

on the over wrapper ready and waiting
P1050923.jpg

and finished product
P1050930.jpg

last job
into the freezer
P1050927.jpg

this is what i do with the bulk of my deer i shoot for my own freezer, others will hav different ways and also different choices of cuts of meat
plus there are other bits i hav not mentioned here like the liver, heart, kidneys ..etc etc
must not forget the best bit....the fillet
some people regard that as there favourite bit of all , i often flash fry it with a bit of deer liver and put it between a couple of crusts , perfect as a sunday morning starter to the day

Just done my first roe of the season last night, and watched the youtube vids as a guide. Cant say I did it as well as the fella on the vid, but it was certainly a help to me.

Cheers for the step by step stone and the suggestions for the hinting life ones on youtube also.

Does anyone have a copy of the american deer processing dvd's that are going around? I believe that there is one from the kentucky game and fish and some whitetail ones.

cheers

Back