I've lost my best mate

V 90 mud

I had a friend , who spent almost nine years with me 24/7 .
This friend I met at 5 days old at eight weeks he moved in with me , we went to work every day together and did the farm jobs every day .
My mate became excellent at rounding up sheep moving cattle putting away the chickens and much more !.
when I was in the tractor and digging in the 360 he was there with me ! Every night we had an hour and a half of his time walking here and there , chasing his ball having a paddle .

We went mountain biking often after 16 mile my mate still wanted to carry on me I was knackered we climb most of the peaks in the lakes together come fair or foul , we were there in our tent .

My mate would retrieve the rabbits and the pheasants and even catch his own sometimes even try to retrieve the roe , he would follow ascent through bush and bog always to find his quarries !!

He would chase the quad and sit in the Landy almost looking as he was to drive . We're ever I was my mate was there never to complain or look ****ed off he had a first fit life !

on Halloween a month ago my best mate suddenly and unexpectedly my best mate just collapsed and died . That was it no warning gone for ever !

I was devastated and still am still a mess and very sad I miss my mate Norman the boxer dog every second of the day ! Yep that's right a boxer the best sheep dog cattle dog retriever and deer dog that I've ever known and most of all my best mate !!!

happy walks Norman always in my thoughts :(

Just had this sent to me today and thought it pretty cool.
It just goes to show how much we love our pets doesn't it.
The original E Mail had a picture attached of a small girl cuddling her labrador.
It really touched me so thought I'd share it with you all.

A letter from the Post Office...this is absolutely the best!!

We don't know who replied, but there is a beautiful soul working in the dead letter office
Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.
The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.
She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her.
I told her that I thought we could so, and she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog?
She died yesterday and is with you in heaven.
I miss her very much.
I 'm happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her.
She likes to swim and play with balls.
I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog.
I really miss her.
Love, Meredith

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey & Meredith , addressed it to God/Heaven.
We put our return address on it.
Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.
A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.
I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.
Meredith opened it.
Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'
Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.
On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,
Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.
Abbey isn't sick anymore.
Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.
Abbey loved being your dog.
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in so I'm sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me.
What a wonderful mother you have.
I picked her especially for you.
I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much.
By the way, I'm easy to find.
I am wherever there is love.

Love,
God

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear that. :(

For what it's worth it sounds like you gave him a great life though!

Alex

sorry about your dog , all the best from scotlanddeerstalking . i just about lost my dog this year twice, the kiss of life the first time got him back thank god. and the second time i ran him over. vet bill LARGE. mist out on a few weeks at the hinds but oot the day and na bother going like a train. all the very best david.

I'm sat here with tears in my eyes. I lost my white boxer Bruno about 7 years ago under nasty circumstances. Reading about yours brought it all back. My wife vowed never to have another boxer as it would never be the same as Bruno. Great dogs, I feel your loss.
Stuart.

Cheers Stuart boxers really are the best , Norman had so much character and excelled at whatever I through at him , I'll never be able to replace my lad !!! I'm just left with a huge hole In my life now and it ain't getting any easier . I have 6 hundred acres stalking in Glenluce but just can't face it with out my best pal , once again cheers if you have been there you will no wer e im at !!!DAVID

Very sad...

If any good can be seen in this is that he did not suffer and you can remember him as being in his prime...

I know the feeling only too well.

Sorry for your loss, I would be lost without my dogs. They are the only friends who really hate to let you down.

I lost my mother and one of my dogs in the same week a few years ago and, I feel bad saying it but, it took me longer to get over the loss of my dog than my mother.
It is just a shame the dogs lives are so short but as has already been said, It helps to think of the good times you had with that particular dog and think of the good times you'll have with the new one.

Almost hurts more than loosing a human to loose a dog, feeling for your loss i know how it feels, you really do never have the same dog twice but at least you have the memories of them!!

I know exactly where you are right now my friend, and its not a nice place to be. I have recently lost my little pair of gansters Bonnie and Clyde. They were litter-mate Jack Russells and i was privalidged to share the last 14 years of my life with them. They were taken from me within a week of each other to natural causes. It may sound strange to some but i'm glad they were only away from each other for a few days. They were also my first dogs

sorry for your loss V90, when I had to have my Spaniel put down after 18 years, it broke me up. You get so used to them being about. I found the house so quiet, the only way I could deal with it was to get another Spaniel. My previous one was a black and white male, this one is a liver and white female so I dont feel like I am trying to replace him. You still have the memories

Back