Cut my fingie

biffo

Butchered a pricket today , knife was getting a bit blunt and did the schoolboy error of pushing a bit too hard. Then I slipped and cut my index finger, quite deep.

to say nothing of having to make sure all the hygiene things were covered , it actually hurt !

Im normally really safe in this department but I guess a 5am start for stalking may have had something to do with it. Anyway, here's aquestion, can anyone recommend a glove for next time, ie chain mail, cut resistant etc. what's best,and what's washable?

I look like ET at the moment about to phone home......

Butchered a pricket today , knife was getting a bit blunt and did the schoolboy error of pushing a bit too hard. Then I slipped and cut my index finger, quite deep.

to say nothing of having to make sure all the hygiene things were covered , it actually hurt !

Im normally really safe in this department but I guess a 5am start for stalking may have had something to do with it. Anyway, here's aquestion, can anyone recommend a glove for next time, ie chain mail, cut resistant etc. what's best,and what's washable?

I look like ET at the moment about to phone home......

Not sure about a glove. A sharper knife was the tool required for the job - cuts with little effort, so minimises the risks of such incidents as you've just had

I carry an EZE-LAP Model M diamond sharpener either in its dedicated pouch or on the knife sheath in a purpose made loop.
EZ_M_open_3061.jpg
A butchers supply dept may be the best place for the cut resistant gloves

Hope the cut heals fast & nothing nasty got in it...

Thanks for being brave enough to bring this to our attention
This is probably the most common injury we are likely to get
and potentially quite serious. We should all take note

you can certainly get a chain mail glove as supplied to butchers. £66 upwards

Youve got to pay 100 percent attention when using a knife particularly
when tired, in poor light, or in a hurry.
yes a sharp knife helps, but you can still cut yourself badly without even knowing.

Also in your first aid kit a wound dressing.

ps if your`going to get a glove you might as well get a gauntlet to protect your wrist

stainless steel will want washing and sterilising

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes should have used a sharpener and I will next time, but will also be on the look out for a Kevlar suit !!

kevlar glove liners dont cost a lot most are reversable and they keep your hand warm .more then a mail glove , and its a sure bet it will get left behind and sink they like a stone in the mud , been there ,dog found it.

easier way is always cut away from yourself and your digits

Speaking from experience as one who severed my middle digit as a teenager snapping an Opinel knife shut with force whilst trying to use it as a bore....whilst the locking collar was not turned around enough!

4 hours in A&E waiting room
7 hours in "micro" surgery and a life time of finger exercises and suffering from numb finger tip when cold.

Take it as a lesson i friend of mine phone me last year to say he slipped and put his knife through his thigh mist his artery by a matter of millimeters. Some times we just get complacent and that's not good. I have used blunt knifes and as long as you take your time they will do the job.
Remove your self from the excitement of the stalk and think safe practice. chain male not a chance up here you will not feel your fingers with in second.s

I carry a old spare knife and a small tungsten sharpener for the SPARE knife only ! diamond for the best knife

Lads the OP was Butchering a beast not Gralloching it. Theres plenty good advice already, knives sharp, cut away etc etc, all comon sense and practise. Im no butcher and have done alot of butchering in the Kitchen and at home. I dont think a chain mail glove is the way forward. A few years ago I commited a cardinal sin and cut towards myself, trying to be quick and cut corners taking a Goose's head of and ended up with my favorite boning knife sticking through my arm!!!! uch to the pleasure of the on-lookers... I still get pelters for it.....

Nutty

HiFirstly a sharp knife is a must. Secondly don't go like a bull in a china shop excessive force can result in a slip.
Take your time and do not force the knife . Unless you are a pro and waring a chain mail apron do not work the knife towards you. Try to work the knife away from you .
Cut resistant gloves are ok for most cutting tasks but WILL NOT STOP A STAB !
Chain mail will. Ware a rubber glove under the chain mail for comfort and to aid fit.
If just simple cutting tasks are needed a cut resistant Kevlar glove is ok and you should ware a rubber glove over the top for hygiene reasons.
Cutting edge services will supply either of the above gloves.
Hope this helps.

I've cut my fingers a few times LOL.

Fortunanately (?) I keep my knives sharp, so it doesn't hurt until I actually see the cut!

Been a week now and my cut has healed but the finger hurts a lot and I can't bend the tip. There's no infection, it's all clean looking but is very stiff and almost arthritic like. I have read that tendons can get themselves attached to the bone if not used so I am trying a bit of exercise with the fingie.

Will see the quack if no improvement in a week.

Been a week now and my cut has healed but the finger hurts a lot and I can't bend the tip. There's no infection, it's all clean looking but is very stiff and almost arthritic like. I have read that tendons can get themselves attached to the bone if not used so I am trying a bit of exercise with the fingie.

Will see the quack if no improvement in a week.

not quite.
they do shorten when not stretched though
I severed mine when I cut my finger
once healed it took months to get close to full flex

bewsher, i also cut my finger when i was young and stupid with an Opinel knife, i was digging airgun pellets out of a piece of board and hadn't locked it,it snapped shut across my right middle finger cutting it to the bone, fortunately it was just behind first knuckle joint from nail,i think if it had been at joint it would have gone straight through

Back