Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .17hmr for foxes

.17hmr for foxes

I understand that here in Essex they don't deem the .17hmr suitable for foxes & that you can't get it on your certificate, but it seems that other areas allow it. Surely it would make sense to have a nationally agreed approach.
    Im not saying this would be my first choice of round as I prefer my .243, but if I was out with the .17hmr & there was the chance of a fox i would like to be able to take it. Anybody else had problems??

It can and has been done, but it is a f**k up waiting to happen. I have seen foxes taking four or five shots from a HMR. However, I have a well known prejudice. I can't stand the 17, marketing junk.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Do you think was that down to shot placement, range or the round itself.

Why do we have to put up with this interfering
    and being told what is and what isnt suitable.
    .17hmr is extremely accurate and is highly suitable for foxes and very safe too.

I dont always want to carry a centrefire rifle around if Im not specifically after foxes or deer.

Quote Originally Posted by needsy View Post
    Do you think was that down to shot placement, range or the round itself.
    The latter two. Short range is a particular problem. Saw a vixen take four 17gr bullets at about 30 yards, all blew up without penetrating before a head shot finished the debacle.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have killed them with head shots easy enough but I shot one in the H/L area the other day and it ran off into deep cover, I never found it, I'm sure it died but when and where I can't say. Thats not good enough for me, I won't try it again. I think you really need a CF for foxes, I have twice missed with the HMR going for head shots on longish range foxes, with a CF I could have gone for a much bigger target body shot...

Personally I wouldn't say the HMR is a foxing rifle, but thats just my opinion.

I agree that .22 and .17hmr are not the best fox calibre.
    and a centrefire will outrange and out perform a rimfire obviously.
    years of keepering I carry a rimfire and if I see a fox in range
    I`ll shoot it. my point is its my decision not big brothers

I have a .243 but .17hmr is all I use really for foxes and I've shot hundreds with .17hmr and a dozen or so with .22lr.

I will confidently head shoot foxes at 100yds plus but I try to keep chest shots at 60 or less - having said this I took someone out last week whose shot fell low at 130ish yds and the exit wound was massive (he was aiming for head but shot entered neck and exited spine between shoulders).

It's a perfect fox round - anyone who puts 5 shots in and doesn't kill a fox is either:
    a) missing
    b) hitting the guts
    c) shooting from 200m+!!!

I use 17gn hornady bt's, cz452 16" barrel, hawke scope

as has been said a f..k up waiting to happen regards pete

I have used my .17hmr for years of foxing and it has accounting for many hundreds of foxes. This is my preferred round, I will take foxes out to about 150m. It is very capable and I will not be changing any time soon. I have seen more deer run on larger caliber then foxes with the .17 it’s not the round, every caliber has its limitations. I think it has more to do with how well you know your own rifle, its limits and your own marksmanship skills.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it." Agatha Christie