30-06

Madmanx

I use my Tikka 30-06 for stalking with Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tips using 51 grains of varget and get excellent results with a nice entry and exit wounds,i had doubts at first as i was recommended by a friend to use this load and i was fully expecting to get very bad damage to the deer ,but nothing could be further from the truth as i have never had any bad damage to Deer and i have only shot Roe with it up to now.I was wondering if anyone else used a similar loading

51.3 H4895 under a 150gn Speer BTSP.

Very accurate, but can be a bit explosive on smaller UK deer at short range.

Very inclined to try a Barnes TSX - had excellent results out of a variety of calibres on game from Duiker to Kudu.

Rgds Ian

Just started to work up a load using Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips over N150; first group was just under an inch using 43.5 grains of powder. Looks to be a promising load with a bit of tweaking! I have never used Ballistic Tips on deer before but I am planning to use these on the fallow this season.

I use 180gn game kings and reloader 19 (can't remember the load) it gives consistant groups under 1" and very little meat damage

Ian

thomas said:
Just started to work up a load using Nosler 165 grain Ballistic Tips over N150; first group was just under an inch using 43.5 grains of powder. Looks to be a promising load with a bit of tweaking! I have never used Ballistic Tips on deer before but I am planning to use these on the fallow this season.
In the same boat as yourself, just working up a load at the moment using N150 and sierra 150gr in .3006 mainly for use on roe as i am using a .223 at the moment but not entirely happy regards the meat damage and lack of impact, shot a buck last week and clipped his shoulder, the beast dropped but was up again when i approached, nightmare !!!!

Back