.223 load for scottish roe

chrisstorey79

Hi, does any one load a .223 round specifically for Scotish roe deer.
I do all my stalking with a 6.5x55 but also have a .223 and have just recently started getting into reloading so curious to what people are using as home loads in .223 for roe.
Thanks

Have a search through previous posts on this site bairn the subject has come up several times previously and normally raises a fair bit of heat as regards suitable bullets. The problem being that most bullets of this calibre are really made as varmint bullets. You will need to decide for yourself as to suitability of the bullet but will get all the information you need from the various bullet manufacturers.

Hi Bairn79

I use my .223, 1-12 twist, every week for Roe, Hornady 55gr SP, 25gn of VihtV N133, knocks them over no problems.
40gr V Max, 26.5 VihtV N133 for Foxes and other Vermin,
Remember start lower and work up, my 40 V Max is at "MAX".
Both loads bug hole @100yrds.

ATB
Wullie.

was using factory 55g Federal SP's for roe this summer and worked beautifully.

just finishing my loads for 60g Hornady SP at the moment which I was recommended by a very trustworthy source. will report back on performance on deer when I can, but it makes sense in terms of bullet weight and design/structure for roe. I think Nosler does a partition for the .223 as well if you're worried about premature break-up due to speed.

I'm loading with Varget, although I understand 133 or 140 might be better,,but due to powder prices these days I'm trying to find a powder and loads that will work well for anything from .223 to 30-06 in temperatures from -15 C to +25 C, be available locally too, and I think varget might just be it.

not .223 but
I run 50gr SP with 22.5gr N133 at around 3100-3200 in the .222 for Roe in Scotland.
You can even buy Privi factory ammo for £16-17 a box

I could run them hotter but dont see the point, placement as usual is the key

do not be silly! .223 is perfection for roe

65gr sierra gamekings with n140, will add charge weight later but roe run very little if at all.

Moderated .223 T3 HB Varmint + 65gr's is so quiet the deer on the other side of the field don't even bother. Shot 3 with a Level 2 using my rifle at the weekend, all within 150m

65gr sierra gamekings with n140, will add charge weight later but roe run very little if at all.

Moderated .223 T3 HB Varmint + 65gr's is so quiet the deer on the other side of the field don't even bother. Shot 3 with a Level 2 using my rifle at the weekend, all within 150m

Paul
What barrel twist do you shoot these 65gr bullets out of? Standard Tikka? Also what velocity do they fly at??

Ian

Why do you need home loads?? I use Norma 55 grain SP and they drop Roe without any problem and they group under a half an inch.

ATB wallace

I need to determine what twist rate my Browning A Bolt is, but i like the sound of what your using.

I think the A bolt is 1 in 12 so you will struggle geting the 65s to stabilise, stick with the 55grs. sierra game kings psp and hp in 55grs work well on roe and fox.
sinbad

just finishing my loads for 60g Hornady SP at the moment which I was recommended by a very trustworthy source

+1, was recommended Hornady 60gn SP for the 22-250 by a guy that has used them for many years without issues on roe. Very accurate and little fragmentation. Not sure what, if any, difference there would be in .223.

Not being silly just giving a true point of fact, and if bairn79 feels the need for 2 rifles then my advice would be ... BUY ANOTHER SWEDE :thumb:

Bob

Paul
What barrel twist do you shoot these 65gr bullets out of? Standard Tikka? Also what velocity do they fly at??

Ian

The rate of twist of a Tikka T3 HB in 223 is 8” which is standard, 65gr + 23gr n140 drives about 2700 which can be pushed a bit faster but it's very sweet with 23gr of charge.

I have always found the 65gr gameking to do great work in my .223 on roe.

Last edited:
The rate of twist of a Tikka T3 HB in 223 is 8” which is standard, 65gr + 23gr n140 drives about 2700 which can be pushed a bit faster but it's very sweet with 23gr of charge.

I have always found the 65gr gameking to do great work in my .223 on roe.
It took me a long time to find a 1:8 Tikka T3 . . . nearly all the examples I came across were 1:12. Quite early on in my search for one, a dealer nearly sold me a 1:12 claiming it was 1:8, so be careful if you're looking for a 1:8. The twist rate is written very clearly on the barrel, just after the calibre.
Triffid

Back