One for the Ghurkhas

digger9523

A mate gave me a bit of old Series 3 Land Rover leaf spring, had it knocking around for a bit. Was looking at it the other day and had some divine inspiration!

This is what happened next:

nu6u8uhy.jpg

e4yha6az.jpg

emy6yres.jpg

That was the rough shaping, then onto details:

u8ubemem.jpg

ehysuduh.jpg

ujemugyt.jpg

After a temper and a bit more tidying up:

avusudem.jpg

4yza8any.jpg

Then the first polish:

6yrynu5a.jpg

yseqeba8.jpg

It took a wicked edge, was cutting free hanging rope tied to a beam in the garage with it no problem.

Not deer related i know, but I'll gralloch a beast with it when it's finished just to blood it. :D

It's looking good. Interesting conversion of a leaf spring. Now.....about the sheath ! ATB

Crikey, thanks for all the compliments chaps! :oops:

I want to do it as near to an original as a bloke in his garage can get, so it'll have the two little blades in the sheath as well. One a small sharp utility blade, the other will have a dual role like the original, 1, as a piece of steel to take nicks out of the blade and 2, as a fire lighting steel. My plan is to do that one out of a small high carbon steel file, leave some teeth on for blade edge repairs, but also because it'll spark better on the flint.

Original sheaths are of wood with rawhide covering and a leather frog, so that will be fun!

that blade needs givin to a serving guy to get the best out of it ,its a real nice job well done. i.v got a blade made from sadams super gun barrel and thats hard and holds an edge your spings gonner be one hard good working tool .:thumb:

Last edited:
Back